Win7 Starter or XP Home for a netbook?

Status
Not open for further replies.
If she hates the netbook.. you can get an ultraportable nowadays that has a real processor 4gb ram etc and 11hours of battery life for 500-600.

Originally Posted By: SrDriver
I vote for Linux.

Thanks, but I'm not about to learn a new OS just so that I can provide tech support for her.

She also wants a MacBook. I already told her not to come to me asking to fix it (should anything ever go wrong).

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
She also wants a MacBook. I already told her not to come to me asking to fix it (should anything ever go wrong).

Just started using one and all I can say is it is very different, and they do crash also (don't listen to the fanboys).

Netbooks are pathetic. I've seen so many coworkers/friends... get frustrated with them. Poor performance, overly small screen, and capability are usually the big complaints.
12"-14" screened laptops are portable enough and can be had with real cpu/memory/options/capability....

I'm not sure what the fad is with netbooks; disposable toys!

Marketing is alive and well. Gotta run: using my mini-car to take my mini-netbook to the mini-burger place for sliders, and for desert, getting mini-donuts. Not sure what mini drink I'll wash down the lunch with.

Originally Posted By: unDummy
Netbooks are pathetic. I've seen so many coworkers/friends... get frustrated with them. Poor performance, overly small screen, and capability are usually the big complaints.

Having owned one for over a year now, I don't necessarily agree. The portability/weight factor is definitely there, and the power is sufficient for most basic tasks, which is what a netbook is for. They're also relatively inexpensive. Try finding a brand new 12" notebook with a "real CPU" as you call it for less than $300.

Originally Posted By: unDummy

Sounds like your coworkers/friends shouldn't have been shopping for netbooks in the first place.
wink.gif

They're made specifically to sacrifice performance for battery life and portability. If that's not what you want... don't buy one.

I know a few people who have netbooks, and of course a lot of people who have laptops of all kinds. The ones who are honest about their priorities and buy products accordingly are the happiest.

I really like netbooks. And so do many of my clients. They are great for browsing the web, have fantastic battery life and are lightweight and fit almost anywhere.

They are also a nice, inexpensive present for the kids, who are only going to use it for web browsing, facebook and MSN anyways.

Typing this on a HP netbook on Ubuntu 9.10 desktop and it runs fantastic. 1.6G dual core and 1Gig RAM. I like Ubuntu desktop better on this than the Ubuntu netbook remix but to each their own.

Small(good and bad depending on your expectation), trouble free, and quick.

Maybe it is the performance of XP/Vista/W7 that is poor.

http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9...ng_says_analyst

Quote:

Reports that the Linux netbook is dead or dying are incorrect, at least globally, according to an analyst firm.

Nearly one-third of the 35 million netbooks on track to ship this year will come with some variant of the free, open-source operating system, ABI Research said. The exact split is 32% Linux versus 68% Windows, said Jeff Orr, an analyst at ABI, which works out to about 11 million Linux netbooks this year.

Quote:

As netbooks running the ARM processor become a major factor, Orr predicted Linux will overtake Windows on netbooks by 2013. That will be driven by consumers in less-developed countries buying Linux netbooks as their primary PCs, rather than North American consumers buying netbooks as secondary machines as predominates today.

Santa is bringing my daughter a netbook with W7SE for Christmas. The netbook is scheduled for early delivery (today). I'll try it out and give you all my thoughts on W7SE.

In lieu of my opinion, here is a very good video explaining exactly what you do and don't get with W7SE: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8F_5Mhq9YqY

The main limitation is 3 programs at same time.

I would get a netbook if they made at least a dualcore netbook.

I'm just too used to power desktops to go back to less than a single core PIII 1ghz equivalent.(atom 1.6ghz)

I'd pay 400$ for a good dualcore atom netbook with 11.5" screen.

I also really like the new ULV laptops like the 13.3" acer timeline with Su4100 processor.

Last edited:
Rand,

You can run more than 3 programs at one time on W7SE. Microsoft dropped the 3 programs at a time thing with the final release of W7SE.

sweet. I guess I didnt read the news for a couple weeks.

I'd probably still go xp unless it has 2gb of ram.

windows7 runs ok on my gateway laptop with 1GB but its not the best... much better than vista it came with though.

After some fierce googling...

"Windows 7 Starter does not include Aero Glass, meaning you can only use the "Windows Basic" or other opaque themes. It also means you do not get Taskbar Previews or Aero Peek," his post said.

Also missing will be personalization features, and the ability to switch between users without having to log off. Multi-monitor support will also be lacking, as will be DVD play back capabilities.

In addition, it will also lack support for Windows Media Center, remote music and video streaming and support for XP Mode.

Last edited:
After a few hours of using W7SE on my daughter's new netbook last night, I have no complaints. It's not very different from Vista, and Vista works great for me. Most of the features that are NOT included in W7SE are eye-candy and resource hogs anyway IMO.

W7SE does not include Windows Media Center, but it DOES include Windows Media Player, so no worries there. I never used Media Center for anything anyway. iTunes fills almost all of my media needs. W7SE does not allow DVD playback, but since we're talking about small netbooks that have no DVD drive, this seems to be a moot point.

To me, W7SE seems like a very good fit for small netbooks. As far as I can tell from what I've found online, W7SE is available ONLY as the OEM-installed OS on small netbooks, so using it anywhere else isn't even an option.

If I notice any interesting features or limitations from W7SE, I'll post them.

thank you wayne for the info!

I suggest using VLC for video playback, I feel it's more secure than WMP. When VLC is installed check all video types, then uncheck all audio & cd playback so that it does mess with iTunes for you.

cheers3.gif

Got the Asus 1005HA up and running. So far so good. It's the one with Atom N280 CPU - a slightly higher FSB (667 MHz vs 533 Mhz on the older Atoms), and the Asus utility seems to be doing a good job varying the speed to save battery life. It's rated for up to 10.5 hours. Realistically, it's probably closer to about 8 hours, but that's still plenty. My MSI netbook only lasts about 1.5 hours due to the small 3-cell battery.

One thing I don't like on the Asus is the up/down arrows on the keyboard - they're half the size of all the other keys.

I also don't understand why they divided the hard drive (160GB) in two separate partitions. I guess I could repartition it myself...

Originally Posted By: mormit
Typing this on a HP netbook on Ubuntu 9.10 desktop and it runs fantastic. 1.6G dual core and 1Gig RAM. I like Ubuntu desktop better on this than the Ubuntu netbook remix but to each their own.

Small(good and bad depending on your expectation), trouble free, and quick.

what netbook has a dualcore proc.. please list the make and model number.

Originally Posted By: Rand
what netbook has a dualcore proc.. please list the make and model number.

Yeah, I don't know of any either. So far the netbook versions of Atom are all single core, but they do support hyperthreading so they show up as two cores in Windows Task Manager. Maybe that's what he meant?

Asus will be releasing one on January 15, 2010 (according to Amazon) with Atom N330, but with a 12" screen and a $500 price, it's not exactly what I'd consider a netbook.

Last edited:
I am also disgusted with the nvidia ION platform..

lenovo is releasing it in a 650$ netbook....(on sale only 599$)
uhhh ya 650$ netbook.

you could buy an acer timeline with a su4100 ULV processor 4gb ram etc etc for cheaper and it has better battery life than the standard lenovo ION platform battery.

The whole idea that makes ion popular fails when its priced at double the normal netbook price.

I guess that would be like paying 60000 for a ford focus because it could go longer between fillups than a corvette... makes no sense.

Last edited:
My bad. This HP mini 110 has an Intel Atom N270 which is a single-core, hyperthreading 1.6gig. Shows up in the system monitor as two processors though it is indeed a single core.

Fast as heck though running Ubuntu 9.10 desktop.

There is an Intel Atom 330 which is a true dual core supporting four threads. Not what I have but it might be in a netbook in the near future.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back