William Shatner to blast off into space today.

Yes, I agree. It's an insult calling them that, when you compare the intense training actual NASA Astronauts have to go through. It's the equivalent of calling an airline passenger a pilot.

Going into space, (low Earth orbit), will NEVER be routine. As NASA learned when they tried launching Christa McAuliffe into space. She had no business in that Shuttle. At least Glenn WAS an actual astronaut.... Back in the day
That didn't have anything to do with the shuttle going down though. They would have all died based on the decisions that were made.

**** Shawn was a comic who's act included of-the-wall stuff.
He'd collapse on stage, remain motionless through the intermission then get up to start Act II, for example.
When I saw him where there was a pile of crumpled paper on the stage. When the lights came down he popped out from beneath and began the show. There were no elevators or traps. He'd just lie motionless awaiting his cue.
William Shatner saw his show in L.A. The next night Mr. Shawn collapsed for real because he died. He laid dead on-stage for a while because people thought it was part of the act.
When asked about it Mr. Shatner said, "As good a way to go as any, I suppose", or words to that effect.

I was so hoping for....you know; Romulans or Klingons to attack....inadvertent time warp...something good.

Q: Was billt460 implying that the public relations person NASA itself put into the ill fated shuttle somehow caused the explosion or that she just had no business being there? Public relations is legit.

Last edited:
Unfortunately Nichelle Nichols is not doing well, I think the other two are ok though.
I heard about Nichelle Nichols having health issues, and there are allegations of elderly abuse. 😕

There was no family member to welcome Shatner back at the landing site after his excursion.

Do I have to point out that the design of Dragon 1 is a bit unfortunate?
Yeah, it does kind of look like its a prop for a scene in the movie Idiocracy... This whole ride thing to the edge of space for the super rich is a bit ridiculous at the moment IMO. But its the baby steps for space travel and a way to funnel money from people who have so much they don't know what to do with it, into research and development of something potentially useful. Maybe 20 years from now it will be a trip to the moon?, and maybe 20 more years and you can go to Mars?

Yes, I agree. It's an insult calling them that, when you compare the intense training actual NASA Astronauts have to go through. It's the equivalent of calling an airline passenger a pilot.

Going into space, (low Earth orbit), will NEVER be routine. As NASA learned when they tried launching Christa McAuliffe into space. She had no business in that Shuttle. At least Glenn WAS an actual astronaut.... Back in the day.
I respectfully disagree on all fronts. PR is important and getting young folks into science isn’t trivial. It was however tragic of course.

I recommend everyone watch Countdown on Netflix. The story behind the Inspiration4 mission by SpaceX recently that sent four civilians to space for three days. I gladly donated to St Jude as it personally has changed my wife’s life but I thoroughly enjoyed it. And space travel can only get more and more attainable as we advance science and technology

Godspeed Captain Kirk!

Yeah, it does kind of look like its a prop for a scene in the movie Idiocracy... This whole ride thing to the edge of space for the super rich is a bit ridiculous at the moment IMO. But its the baby steps for space travel and a way to funnel money from people who have so much they don't know what to do with it, into research and development of something potentially useful. Maybe 20 years from now it will be a trip to the moon?, and maybe 20 more years and you can go to Mars?
Elon is working on both fyi. Much sooner than your timeline but of course we’ll see. Pay attention to the work he’s doing in Boca Chica Texas

Was billt460 implying that the public relations person NASA itself put into the ill fated shuttle somehow caused the explosion or that she just had no business being there?

The Shuttle is no place for civilians to put on sideshows. Flying the Shuttle, or flying on it is dangerous, and there was no cause or need for her to be on it.

Isn't Dragon 1 the SpaceX rocket? The Blue Origin one was called New Shepard that launched today.
Correct but SpaceX just calls it Dragon. Crew Dragon or Cargo Dragon based on their mission. New Shepard and their other rocket New Glenn (still under development) are named after Alan Shepard and John Glenn astronauts

Back