Willed S&W 38 spl dating?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently acquired my grandfather's fbi service s&w and was wondering if anybody could help me out with some info? I've never even shot a gun before but this was willed to my dad, who gave it to me. I never met my grandfather but he graduated from the first fbi academy back in the 30's I believe.

All of the serial numbers match except for two right in front of the barrel. They are stamped very poorly and I swear the numbers overlap. From the two, I gather a number of 11385. The rest of the serial numbers are 54741. Should I be posting the serials on here? Should I call up s&w to see what they say? I'm just looking for a general date if possible.

Oh and by the way, it's an airweight .38 spl ctg

Sorry for the poor pictures, its too glossy to take a good one with my phone.

Third picture is the location of the different number.

IMG_20130121_145759_781_zps6ac696e2.jpg

IMG_20130121_144658_592_zps8849a469.jpg

IMG_20130121_144846_259_zpsdefbfdf6.jpg

Based on examples on gun websites, you have a "Airweight Chief's Special"

If no one here can date it , I suggest you check the Smith & Wesson Forums.

They have specific threads about this gun. Per a thread about your same question, include all the serial numbers, but substitute the last 2 digits with "x" for questions about date.

My Dad was a policeman, and I'd love to have had his service revolver. But when he "stopped coppin" (his phrase, not mine) to start his own business, he was forced into selling his service revolver by his mother-in-law. Lord knows that you can't have a gun in the house with two small children.

Thanks, Grandma...

Originally Posted By: mrsilv04
My Dad was a policeman. he was forced into selling his service revolver by his mother-in-law.
FORCED by MOTHER IN LAW?!?!?!?!?!

Very nice Smith. Smith & Wesson produces a book where you can look up the serial# to verify production dates. If you don't want to buy the book there are threads on several of the larger forums where people post their ser#(53153xx) and members with the book will look it up.

Originally Posted By: justinf89
I'm just looking for a general date if possible.

Oh and by the way, it's an airweight

You have what is known as a "J-frame" revolver, Smith's smallest.

The serial you want is the 6- or 7-digit one on the bottom of the butt.
See this page, about 1/3 of the way down.
http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=277680&page=6
You should be able to tie the age down to a few-year range.

If this is an Airweight, it should say "MOD 37" inside where you found the cylinder serial number.

Smith & Wesson began stamping guns with model numbers starting in 1957. Before that the guns had a name and are often referred to as a pre model. So your gun is a Chief's Special Airweight or a pre model 37. They were made in round butt and square butt, yours is square. Since this model came out in 1951 and were model marked in 1957, yours is between those years. The first ones had a problematic alloy cylinder, yours is steel, so its not one of the earlier models. I'd guess 1954-57 without looking at serial number records.

You can buy a factory letter from the S&W historian Roy Jinks for I think less than $50 that may indicate who it was shipped to. If your grandfather bought it at a gun shop it may be one in his home town, if it was shipped to the FBI it would be more interesting.

Nice older lightweight carry or backup gun. Too nice for carrying now and since it is in such good condition. I'd oil it up and store it away. Not much reason to shoot it unless you just wanted to experience it. Probably worth about $500-600.

Here is an article on S&W Airweights;

http://www.guns.com/review/2012/08/29/smith-a-wesson-36-airweight/

Don't worry about the other numbers, they are likely assembly numbers used during manufacture.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back