Will You Buy An Autonomous Car ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think there will ever be a need to buy one, just call one up on your phone using an Uber/Lyft type app.

ILL go to a care home be fore iam forced to be in an autonomous car. now that i think about it its NO longer a car.

Drivers in CA are infuriated by autonomous cars. As they drive the speed limit, accelerate and brake gently and generally hold people up. It's apparently as annoying as left lane campers.

I'm not going to buy some autonomous blob thing. That better be free, not going to buy it. If autonomous vehicles become a requirement/norm, I'd be fine with retrofitting older vehicles. I would autonomize a raggedy old Explorer or something, not going to ruin a nice one. The Siemens raggedy Mustang didn't work out so well...I hope the retrofitting tech gets better.

I like driving when there's not a lot of other people around, but commuting just a few miles is enough for me to see the benefit of autonomous vehicles. I'm not willing to give up old Ford trucks though.

I’m thinking it will come in stages. Firstly the lane guidance stuff with the automatic braking on major highways. I guess I would be OK with that to a level where I could use my IPad while the car drives. Anything to break the monotony of the of the 120 mile stretch of four lane highway I often do. Beyond that, probably not in my lifetime.

Originally Posted By: Chris B.
No because I like to stay alive. There have been several people killed because this technology does not work 100%, 100% of the time!

If we held motorists to that standard, well, we'd all be walking.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: WhizkidTN
I'm a EE and I can tell you I think Autonomous cars are a VERY bad idea. People will die, lawsuits will happen and that will be the end of that (for a decade or so).

Yep...Plus the roads have to be properly equipped.

I can see it being beneficial for disabled folks, older folks with vision or reflex problems, or people who just don't want the hassle of owning a car. For me, however, no thanks. I enjoy driving. The thrill of shifting through the gears, and listening to the engine roar, as you cruise down the highway. Almost like pure sex.
laugh.gif
Plus, the enjoyment of maintaining my car (fluids, parts, etc.) makes me smile.

Autonomous cars would be just like a taxi or lift service. Get in, get out, go on with life. HO-HUM!
grin.gif

I enjoy being in control. That said, if I had to deal with bumper to bumper traffic on a regular basis, autonomous would be lovely. There are certainly times where I'd like to sit back and just tell the car what to do--you can only marvel just so much at scenery you see every day while commuting.

Also it'd be great when I'm old but not quite dead. Maybe my reflexes will be shot but if I could eek out a few more years on my own before going to the home, it might be good money spent.

But for now... no interest in it. Not until it's a standard feature and available cheaply on the used market.

Eventually it will be the only option. Even if every driver on the road was Mario Andretti, they'll never reach the safety level of 100% autonomous driving if every single car on the road can communicate with each other.

There are also a ton of other benefits: providing mobility to the elderly and disabled, freeing up people to do other things during their commute, improved speed and efficiency of trips, no need to search for parking, etc...

I love driving, but adaptive cruise control has given me a little taste of autonomous driving and I can see the appeal. Drive while you still can, and embrace the convenience that comes when we can't.

Originally Posted By: glock19
Eventually it will be the only option. Even if every driver on the road was Mario Andretti, they'll never reach the safety level of 100% autonomous driving if every single car on the road can communicate with each other.

There are also a ton of other benefits: providing mobility to the elderly and disabled, freeing up people to do other things during their commute, improved speed and efficiency of trips, no need to search for parking, etc...

I love driving, but adaptive cruise control has given me a little taste of autonomous driving and I can see the appeal. Drive while you still can, and embrace the convenience that comes when we can't.

I hope that all comes to pass long after I'm gone.

I like driving, so no. I drive truck for a living and that job matches me perfectly. I don't want to see this technology on trucks as it will eliminate a lot of decent jobs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back