Will VERY frequent rotation reduce tread wear?

Originally Posted by paulri
My most recent set was Goodyear (at least 80K warranty), and I got 38K miles out of them

Maybe I don't fully understand the post but if they give you a brand new set of tires when they wear out, what is the problem?

No, you won't gain much if anything by rotating more often. If that were the case, rotate them every 100 miles for infinite life. Not going to change a thing except to get the fronts and rears closer matched in wear.

Document, document, document every rotation.
Then put in for pro-rated replacements from your point of sale.

I've found Walmart to be very helpful when dealing with this kind of thing.

As far as I know rotation is there to even out wear, not to increase longevity....
If you think about it, evening out minor wear differences would/should increase useful tire life, longevity. I rotate for two reasons, the aforementioned, and to keep the tire treadwear warranty in force at DT.

If one is getting major uneven tire wear, rotation isn't going to make a significant difference. That's where alignment comes in and when it's needed.

Yes, I've confirmed through my company's testing that rotation does add life to tires. I've estimated up to 15%.

The way it works is that each wheel position has a unique wear pattern due to the alignment and suspension travel. Rotating tires allows the tire to develop a new wear pattern - wearing the slower wearing spots faster and the faster wearing spots slower - with the net being less wear rate. The exception is if there is an alignment issue.

- BUT -

Rotating more often doesn't appreciably change this effect. Put another way, rotating every 3K miles isn't twice as good as rotating every 6K miles. There's no harm, but it doesn't make things better.

..... will stopping at 140 ft versus 160 feet mean that much......
Stopping at the cliff's edge, as opposed to 20 feet past the cliff's edge WILL affect future lifestyle changes.
crazy2.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted by litesong
..... will stopping at 140 ft versus 160 feet mean that much......
Stopping at the cliff's edge, as opposed to 20 feet past the cliff's edge WILL affect future lifestyle changes.
crazy2.gif

THIS!
07.gif

My Sienna has traditionally chewed up tires. I usually get 50% at best of warrantied mileage. First I thought it was because I bought the cheapo 40K tires, but this is the case even with better tires. One 65K set (AT house brand Arizonians) got 20,000 miles. I always get great prorates because I rotate regularly, so that's not the issue--I go every 6-8K miles. My most recent set was Goodyear (at least 80K warranty), and I got 38K miles out of them (I could have taken them down a bit more, most or all were at 4/32, but I wanted something better for the winter rains we were having).

My question, however--would I get more tread life if I were to rotate them religiously every 5000 miles? Mathematically, if tread wear is linear, I'm thinking that it shouldn't matter. But the last time I went to Americas Tire, the guy suggested that.

I replaced the Goodyears with Cooper CS5 Grand Touring in January. The Cooper site says my size starts out at 11.5/32. I took them to get aired up at AT today, and he suggested that I get them rotated (after only about 4,500 miles) because the two front were 8 & 9/32, while the rear were both 10/32. FWIW, with these Coopers, I have maintained them at 42 hot (manual says 35 cold)--I have aired them up at least once between the time in January that I bought them, and today's air up.

So would 5000 mile rotations minimize tread wear in this application?
I have a sienna and it seems to wear the outside front tires. I use Continental Tru Contacts and have gotten 40-45000 out of them on mostly hey driving. I think it has to do with camber/caster setting in order for the vehicle to handle safely at the expense of tire life. These tires have served me well over several sets. I like Michelin tires in many applications, but not in this one.

That is the Tru Contact Tour model, correct? Their web page says it is an 80K tire (22565R16, not sure if the warranty varies from size to size). If that was the tire you had, mostly highway driving only got you 50% of the warrantied tread life. I have done more 50/50 city/hwy, and gotten only 50% of the tread life also, which was why I started this thread.

I have a sienna and it seems to wear the outside front tires. I use Continental Tru Contacts and have gotten 40-45000 out of them on mostly hey driving. I think it has to do with camber/caster setting in order for the vehicle to handle safely at the expense of tire life. These tires have served me well over several sets. I like Michelin tires in many applications, but not in this one.

That is the Tru Contact Tour model, correct? Their web page says it is an 80K tire (22565R16, not sure if the warranty varies from size to size). If that was the tire you had, mostly highway driving only got you 50% of the warrantied tread life. I have done more 50/50 city/hwy, and gotten only 50% of the tread life also, which was why I started this thread.
I have read where some people have only gotten around 20000 from other brands. That’s not the same size but the same warranty

My first set on the Sienna only got me 20K. That was because I didn't rotate them at all. Lesson learned.
I have read where some people have only gotten around 20000 from other brands. That’s not the same size but the same warranty

I only rotate and balance once or twice in the tires life cycle. Most services costs at least $15 a tire, so that's $60 spent each time. R & B every 5K to 10K miles and it adds up more than the incremental loss in the tires longevity. Actually, I have seen little difference. If I rotate at 20K, then again 40K, the tires are about done by 60K anyway.

In the 6,000 mile example above, thats 9 times in a 60,000 mile life cycle, so that is $540 in that time if the services cost $15 per tire. If its only $10 per tire, thats still $360. That almost costs as much as a new set.

Last edited:
When I buy lifetime balance & rotation at AT, it has been only $19/tire (at least when I bought the tires new from them). I agree that if you pay for a one-time rotation every time you rotate, it doesn't pay off. I looked at the current set on the new to me Camry in my sig, and decided not to pay AT for a one-time rotation; I wasn't sure it would extend the life of the tires beyond what I'll get without rotating.

I'm not convinced that my tires need rotating every 6-8K; I measured the tires on one of my vehicles at 10K and tread depth was even. But I know the front tires on the Sienna were shot after 20K of not rotating. But the biggest point for me is that if I don't rotate when AT says to (every 6-8K) I don't qualify for the prorate, so I do feel that the $76 for four tires does pay off, over the long haul.

I only rotate and balance once or twice in the tires life cycle. Most services costs at least $15 a tire, so that's $60 spent each time. R & B every 5K to 10K miles and it adds up more than the incremental loss in the tires longevity. Actually, I have seen little difference. If I rotate at 20K, then again 40K, the tires are about done by 60K anyway.

In the 6,000 mile example above, thats 9 times in a 60,000 mile life cycle, so that is $540 in that time if the services cost $15 per tire. If its only $10 per tire, thats still $360. That almost costs as much as a new set.

I have a 2013 Sienna and it runs through tires. We rotate at the recommended 5K miles. Not much you can do but document rotations and get prorated credit. I have a set of CS5 Touring which will need changing soon; it'll be the 4th set of tires (115k miles). Also not much adjustment for alignment on this vehicle. It's mostly driven in town with the occasional highway travel.

I may try a set of General Atimax RT43 next time around. Not expecting any different treadwear performance. It is what it is.

I've resigned myself to this fate. You know, as reliable as this has been, and as good with prorates as AT is, I'm not going to sweat it. I have about 12K on CS5s now on my sienna. How much on yours? That is an 80K warranty IIRC.

I have a 2013 Sienna and it runs through tires. We rotate at the recommended 5K miles. Not much you can do but document rotations and get prorated credit. I have a set of CS5 Touring which will need changing soon; it'll be the 4th set of tires (115k miles). Also not much adjustment for alignment on this vehicle. It's mostly driven in town with the occasional highway travel.

I may try a set of General Atimax RT43 next time around. Not expecting any different treadwear performance. It is what it is.

I've resigned myself to this fate. You know, as reliable as this has been, and as good with prorates as AT is, I'm not going to sweat it. I have about 12K on CS5s now on my sienna. How much on yours? That is an 80K warranty IIRC.
I have about 35k miles miles on this set. May be able to get another 5k out of them.

I have tried inflating them to 40-42 (I THINK it is 35 cold on the door sticker); if I get more than 50% warrantied life out of them, then I'll keep that up for my next set.

I have about 35k miles miles on this set. May be able to get another 5k out of them.

Back