Will the high vehicle prices trickle down to my 500,000 mile Sequoia too?

How do you figure that? He only wanted 6k, the last digit off would be $600. He got a $3527.77 offer. So how would that make any sense? Plus I think he paid over $1500 for it before he put over 7k worth of parts and labor into it. I suppose you could figure out the price of the parts he bought and maybe the book time for the labor but even at 6k doesn't seem like much of a money maker because even at that price, it included delivery.
The post about dropping the last digit was about the $16k Previa van, not the OP's 500k mile offering.

After owning and "restoring" it over the 9 months I have finally got it done. Created a webpage with 250 pictures at: https://2003toyotasequoiasr5.blogspot.com/2022/04/500000-miles-one-owner-clean-carfax.html With 100,000 miles I see them listed in the $13-16K range. How much should I list it for with 5 times the miles? And mileage and price isn't proportional so one fifth of that range isn't the answer.
How many hours did you spend doing all the service and repairs and write up?

Never said I spent $7700 on this. I said it has $7700 WORTH of parts and service. The $1600-$2200 timing belt job at a shop or dealer cost me maybe $200 in parts.
Back at post 8, the $7k number is not actually what he spent on the parts and repairs.

$7K worth of parts and labor into a 500,000 mile vehicle?

That sounds like a colossal waste of parts and labor for a flipper. I could almost see doing that if the truck was already owned, the history known, and it had some sentimental value.

But there’s no way he’s getting that much cash back out of this sale.
Yeah, the numbers didn't really add up even if he got his 6k asking price, that also included dropping the car off within a few hundred miles of his location. Spent over $1500 on the car plus maybe 1k worth of parts and even if labor is "free" sounds like several days worth and 3.2k gets you minimum wage or less for labor? Plus the days putting together the listing not just hours.

Yeah, the numbers didn't really add up even if he got his 6k asking price, that also included dropping the car off within a few hundred miles of his location. Spent over $1500 on the car plus maybe 1k worth of parts and even if labor is "free" sounds like several days worth and 3.2k gets you minimum wage or less for labor? Plus the days putting together the listing not just hours.
By his own admission he spent many, many hours on the pictures and listing. The bottom line it was a pretty pig-but still was old and had a lot of miles. So it was like putting lipstick on a high millage vehicle.

$7K worth of parts and labor into a 500,000 mile vehicle?

That sounds like a colossal waste of parts and labor for a flipper. I could almost see doing that if the truck was already owned, the history known, and it had some sentimental value.

But there’s no way he’s getting that much cash back out of this sale.

I think he said $7000 worth of work if taken to a shop, but obviously he did it for much less doing DIY.

While I'd be a little leary of buying something with 500k, never underestimate the Toyota enthusiasts. I've seen people pay way more for rustier old Toyotas around here. Might take a while, but he will sell it.

I think he said $7000 worth of work if taken to a shop, but obviously he did it for much less doing DIY.

While I'd be a little leary of buying something with 500k, never underestimate the Toyota enthusiasts. I've seen people pay way more for rustier old Toyotas around here. Might take a while, but he will sell it.
What's the standard rate of a shop? $100/hour? That's about 70 hours. I'd say your DIY time should be worth at least $20-$25/hour, it's not like you're just flipping burgers.

• Haha
Reactions: JC1
I don't drive it much with these gas prices and can hold it to sell until they drop some. Have it listed on Facebook and Craigslist with some interest. Have someone supposed to see it Saturday.

Reactions: JC1
The only reason someone bid more than $3000 for it is the vehicle shortage. Once that's over, it's back to being worth scrap value. Time is not on your side.
Some are saying that the shortage might continue into 2024. Remember when it was only supposed to be about 6 months? That was about a year ago.

Toyota is helping you out with the huge price hike on the new Sequoia. Good luck with the sale. Somebody will take it eventually.

Back