Will the General Altimax RT-45 live up to the legendary RT-43?

There's a reason that the RT43s are well loved here. I've got a lot of miles on the RT43s having run through several sets on multiple vehicles. I'm not an autocross, street racer, reckless type driver so not a single complaint about cornering performance. Along with being economically priced, they have above average to excellent wet stopping traction which is the number one consideration living here in the rainy Pacific Northwest. Great tread life is another big plus.

The RT43 was once the BITOG go to recommended tire. That time has come and gone. There are better offerings from Continental (TrueContact Tour for example) at roughly the same or lower cost but that will outperform the RT43 in every single metric. The RT43 is still a great tire compared to many other offerings from many other manufactures but it’s no longer a value or performance leader in its class. Maybe the RT45 will reseat General as a value leader, we shall see.

I'll be passing on this; I was very disappointed in the RT43. Very soft sidewalls, dry grip was very subpar, wet grip was decent, hydroplane resistance was pretty good. It also tramlined and followed grooves like crazy - worse than the Yoko A13C that came OEM on the Evo - which was the previous top tramlining tire I used.
Agree completely. Very subpar tires overall. Decent in rain and snow. Soft ride ok on straight highway cruises. Curvy roads sidewalls are too soft. Would not buy again unless steeply discounted knowing the weaknesses. Love my Cooper CS5 Ultra Touring but concerned they lack the durability of a Michelin

The RT43 was once the BITOG go to recommended tire. That time has come and gone. There are better offerings from Continental (TrueContact Tour for example) at roughly the same or lower cost but that will outperform the RT43 in every single metric. The RT43 is still a great tire compared to many other offerings from many other manufactures but it’s no longer a value or performance leader in its class. Maybe the RT45 will reseat General as a value leader, we shall see.
I hated TrueContact Tour on my Elantra. Gave a harsh ride. Under warranty were replaced with RT43. Gave me more cushioning. My favorite all time tire was RT43 T rated on a Saturn. Michelin and Cooper almost left me stranded when it snowed. The RT43's did not have that issue. You are right about price. There was 2 cents difference in my favor. Hoping the RT45's will meet my future needs.

The RT43 is still a great tire compared to many other offerings from many other manufactures but it’s no longer a value or performance leader in its class. Maybe the RT45 will reseat General as a value leader, we shall see.
That's the key right there^^^. The RT43 are not the deal that they once were. Their prices have certainly gone up as has most other products. But too, General had held the price down for quite some time and now they've increased them. What I had recently paid $82/tire for in 2020 is now $118/tire. Still not bad and maybe where the price should be considering their performance, scoring, reviews, customer satisfaction etc.

I prefer the Michelin CC2's I have on our Accord which replaced a set of RT43's. As long as the CC2's stay quiet and wear well I'll probably buy them again. The RT43's were a great price/performance value when I installed them a few years ago, but have come up enough in price now that I could justify the jump to the CC2's when it was time for new tires.

I believe the H have stiffer sidewall than the T . The sipes for T and H are different . So , that too may contribute to performance .

This is how the sipes of the T differ from the the H . Not sure of the V , never seen one . The photos were from 2 different Walmarts .

DSCF5680.JPG
DSCF5686.JPG
DSCF5679.JPG

This is like reading an Amazon review section. some people say they suck and others think they are great. My past impression was that the tires were well-liked and considered getting some for the van. Coopers seem to be the value tire with a local guarantee. Fuzion tires are also available locally. Badyears and Firestones were unlucky purchases for me.

:unsure: . Could call or send message to General Tires asking them about performance ( grip , etc. ) difference and life of tire . Is interesting .

I have zero complaints with the rt43’s on my 17 accord. It’s just my daily driver mostly highway to work. Cruise normally set to 65 mph in right hand lane. Don’t drive aggressively or dive into corners. Would def replace with the rt45 when the time comes

I have an RT-43 on the back of my wife's Spyder and both of us are very impressed by its performance so hopefully the 45 will be just as good.

This is like reading an Amazon review section. some people say they suck and others think they are great.
From what I've seen all tire reviews are like that. I think part of it has more to do with the vehicle than the tire itself, then throw in the characteristics of the driver and don't forget the road surface and you end up with mixed reviews.

So you never ran the rt43 on the Silverado?
So you are just assuming they will be bad?

All I said was...

The tread pattern was boring.
The tread pattern reminded me of a poor tire I had purchased in the past.

I did not make any assumptions on the quality of the subject tire, nor the capabilities, or even rubber compound or manufacturer. All I mentioned was that the tread pattern (to me) was boring, and reminded me of a previous non related brand I had used in my past.

This tire could be the bee's knees. All I know is it looks boring, and reminds me of another tire I used in the past with very poor performance.

Back