Will the General Altimax RT-45 live up to the legendary RT-43?

To reduce tire noise?
I find they get noisy at the end, so that might be nice. OTOH that might cost the winter usability--yes it's not a snow tire, but many have found these to be "good enough" in winter conditions.

All I said was...

The tread pattern was boring.
The tread pattern reminded me of a poor tire I had purchased in the past.
I am truly curious because this has never occurred to me.

How does one determine 'boring' (or lack thereof) when looking at tread patterns?
Is this really a thing?
And how does boringness (or lack thereof) equate to tire performance or longevity?
Do people actually care about the visual appearance of a tire tread pattern?!?
When do you find that you have the time to look at and/or evaluate tire tread patterns?
Fascinating...

How does one determine 'boring' (or lack thereof) when looking at tread patterns?
Is this really a thing?
And how does boringness (or lack thereof) equate to tire performance or longevity?
Fascinating...

Boring is qualitative, so totally subjective to the observing eye. Yup, I find it boring.

Yup, I found it boring...so yup, it is a thing

If you don't think it is a thing, please take a few seconds to look at over the top tread patterns available today where folks are clearly basing most of their buying decision on tread pattern only.

Boringness has little to do with performance...I don't believe anybody made that connection. I simply stated the tread pattern looked boring, and it reminded me of a tire that performed poorly. One COULD make a connection that the tread pattern looks like a tread pattern on another tire that performed poorly...but it would not take into account inflation pressure, tire design, rubber compound, load rating, type of use...etc. So please interpret at your own risk.

Yup, I care about how my vehicles look...including tire side wall and tread pattern. If two tires were supposed to perform in identical ways (and are similar cost), I will choose the tire that looks better and has a more interesting tread pattern.

The 45 looks to be better for rolling resistance . Time will tell . Also , 45 looks more CONTINENTAL ( General Tire ) like patterens . The 43 is unique .

If you don't think it is a thing, please take a few seconds to look at over the top tread patterns available today where folks are clearly basing most of their buying decision on tread pattern only.
Thanks for the explanation.
I asked if it was a thing.
I never stated that it wasn't a thing.
Where would I go to look over the top tread patterns available today where folks are clearly basing most of their buying decision on tread pattern only?

How will I know the basis for the methodology behind their decision making process?

All I said was...

I did not make any assumptions on the quality of the subject tire, nor the capabilities, or even rubber compound or manufacturer. All I mentioned was that the tread pattern (to me) was boring, and reminded me of a previous non related brand I had used in my past.

This tire could be the bee's knees. All I know is it looks boring, and reminds me of another tire I used in the past with very poor performance.

Ok, I was just asking. Thanks for your reply

All I said was...

I did not make any assumptions on the quality of the subject tire, nor the capabilities, or even rubber compound or manufacturer. All I mentioned was that the tread pattern (to me) was boring, and reminded me of a previous non related brand I had used in my past.

This tire could be the bee's knees. All I know is it looks boring, and reminds me of another tire I used in the past with very poor performance.

[/URL]
why don't you make your own tread pattern?
01q.jpg

A couple of thoughts:

Boring tread patterns tend to wear more evenly. All the things that are appealing to a human's eye, also make for irregular and noise generating wear. The trick is to make an interesting tread pattern, while avoiding those bad things. I always admired what tread pattern designers did. (Note: They were artsy folks, not engineers. They had to work within a set of guidelines, yet still create visually appealing designs.)

You can't really "SEE" rolling resistance. RR is mostly about tread compound and how much tread compound is used.

Is this really a thing?
When do you find that you have the time to look at and/or evaluate tire tread patterns?
Fascinating...
The Michelin Crossclimate 2, with its unique pattern, makes me shy away. A little too 'different' and for some reason, makes me think fuel economy would suffer. Give me the plain-jane Michelin Defender T+H over this every time!
1658511625641.png

Where would I go to look over the top tread patterns available today where folks are clearly basing most of their buying decision on tread pattern only?

Any car with:
Yokohama Advan Neova AD08R
Toyo Proxes R1R
Toyo Proxes R888r

But this is a niche bubble within a niche bubble.

The Michelin Crossclimate 2, with its unique pattern, makes me shy away. A little too 'different' and for some reason, makes me think fuel economy would suffer. Give me the plain-jane Michelin Defender T+H over this every time!
View attachment 109169

Maybe someone with MICHELIN got the idea from those that leave their snow / winter tires on all year long . See this in parking lots when out shopping .

Maybe someone with MICHELIN got the idea from those that leave their snow / winter tires on all year long . See this in parking lots when out shopping .
Hankook got that idea from those people in the Quebec province, for the Optimo 4S, since in the big cities, people tend not to have garage space to store a second set of tires/wheels.

I find they get noisy at the end, so that might be nice. OTOH that might cost the winter usability--yes it's not a snow tire, but many have found these to be "good enough" in winter conditions.
Yes but not where you're from. Not even close to being good enough in NH.

These are great tires. I put them on our Town and Country and it transformed it. My wife thought I put snow tires on it. The rain traction is also fantastic. The ride is improved as well.

Back