General Altimax RT-43 ( H-rated ) vs. Continental True Contact Tour ( H-rated ) . Which one and why ?

The size is 185/65-15 . The RT-43 ( H ) are $85.99 and the True Contact Tour ( H ) cost $97.99 , both are TIRERACK . There's a $70 rebate or $140 with a CONTINENTAL card . There 's no rebate for GENERAL at this time . Usually it's $50 when offered . The True Contact TOUR would be $80.49 each with the $70 or $62.99 with the $140 . Would pay off the CARD within a few months . Very tough to decide , now have the RT-43s' ( H ) on the other car , so know their performance . Did use Continental w/ Eco Plus Technology back in 2011 and they performed very well . The rebate ends 6/30/21 . Thanks

Last edited:
The size is 185/65-15 . The RT-43 ( H ) are $85.99 and the True Contact Tour ( H ) cost $97.99 , both are TIRERACK . There's a $70 rebate or $140 with a CONTINENTAL card . There 's no rebate for GENERAL at this time . Usually it's $50 when offered . The True Contact TOUR would be $80.49 each with the $70 or $62.99 with the $140 . Would pay off the CARD within a few months . Very tough to decide , now have the RT-43s' ( H ) on the other car , so know their performance . Did use Continental w/ Eco Plus Technology back in 2011 and they performed very well . The rebate ends 6/30/21 . Thanks
Your experience may vary from mine. I bought 4 195/65-15 91H True Contact Tour for my 2017 Elantra SE. To get the rebate they were installed New Years Eve 2018. That may be part of the problem. First thing I noticed is they were hard. They replaced soft T-Rated Nexen Npriz AH8. So lowered the tire pressure from the 36 recommended to 32 or 33. Still hard. The worst thing was it felt like the tires were transmitting extra vibration and noise. Felt like the tires were bouncing up and down over 60 mph. Took car back and shop found all 4 tires were 1/2 ounce off when balanced. After they were re-balanced I still did not like them. Still too hard/unforgiving. Continental had great customer service. They responded by offering to replace with RT-43 (H). Customer service did not know my favorite all around tire for a Saturn I had 13 years was RT-43 (T). Tire shop switched them out and immediately car was a pleasure to drive. The RT-43's were more forgiving. They handle good. Good in snow and rain. The True Contact Tour were installed right before a lot of snow and performed great. I would say a little better than the RT-43's in the snow. I will never try another Continental tire, but that is me. I will stay with what I know works (RT-43) even if I pay a little more. That is my 2 cents, which happens to be the difference in price I received back plus I did get the Continental rebate money.

Continental.

I've run RT43's on my Camry for almost 6 years now, and while I'm happy with them, their handling isn't the greatest. I describe it as driving through mashed potatoes. My Camry is no longer a baked potato but a twice baked potato.

I had the Continentals on a 15' Sonata. Good tire.

This is the reason I do not recommend tires. I just tell my experience. Next tire may go back to T Rated RT43's. I prefer a softer ride. I drive mostly in Eco mode and most driving is 30 to 40 mph. When I had the Saturn with new KYB struts and RT43's car became a hoot to drive. For me, the RT43's take a turn well. A lot depends on driving style.

I was considering the same two tires for the CIVIC in my signature(195-65-15) and actually a 3rd. The Bridgestone Turanza QuietTack as well. However, the QuietTrack didn't come in the size I needed for the CIVIC.

I chose the RT43 mainly for their price advantage at the time I was buying as I did get the General $50 rebate and no rebate for the Conti's(again, at the time I was buying).

I have read too many mixed consumer reviews on the Continentals from a variety of sources. However, the CTCT does score well on the Tire Rack & Consumer Reports and does in fact meet my criteria thoroughly as does the RT43.

I am(we're) on our 3rd set(4 tire sets) of the RT43 for different vehicles and we have liked them very much in all 3 vehicles thus, my recommendation for the RT43s. They're a high scoring tire in multiple tire testing sources, high in customer satisfaction & reviews and priced very well.

And if you do choose the RT43, wait(if you can) for the next $50 rebate(VISA gift card). It'll be offered again soon even though I don't think you'll go wrong with either tire brand, especially if you can get the Conti's for $140 off w/rebate. (y)

^^^This may sound a little contradictory but,it's not meant to. In other words in this case, buy by price!

Last edited:
OP, I have personal experience with both tires. I’d choose the Continental because it is a quieter ride and in this case it is cheaper. In addition, both are excellent in the rain but I’d give the edge to Continental by a hair.

^^^Though I've not owned the Continental TrueContact TOUR(CTCT), IDK how quiet they are and can only go by the testing & reviews. I'd have to give the edge to the CONTI's. The CTCT should be a quiet(er) tire.

I will say that the RT43 are not a loud tire per say however, you may/may not hear them compared to the Conti's. I do appreciate a quiet tire myself and on this CIVIC in my signature, the RT43 are just fine as this model CIVIC LX is quieter(more sound deadening) than other generations of CIVICs that came before it.

Though Honda has been known for some loud(lack of insulation) vehicles, they've done a very good job of quieting down their vehicle line up since about 2013ish.

Last edited:
The RT43 Generals are really good tires in all aspects, even snow traction.
The only input I can give on Conti’s is I see a lot of sidewall damage/bubbles due to impacts. They seem to have weak sidewalls.

I really like the General's I have bought over the years. They are a value based tire that performs well. So maybe the Conti's will perform better and be cheaper? Probably worth a try.

I drove 2 1988 cars to 2011 and 2017. I needed 21century cars with good tires. BITOG consensus is favorable toward Camrys and RT 43s. Both are well suited for each other and local climate. To quote the great Tom Magliozzi " if you don't think too good. Don't think too much" Are there better/cheaper/faster cars and tires to be had.? You tell me. :cool:

I’ve ran both. The first set of 43’s were pretty good. 2nd set was ok, 3rd set was noisy and wore quicker. All on same car. Ran the contitours on my last vehicle. Best about them was quiet and great in the rain. They are a harder tire, and the mileage “warranty“ indicates that. I’d still pick the conti, but either way I don’t think you’ll go wrong.

Given that both of those choices (RT43 and Conti TCT) are excellent tires, I don't think you can go wrong either way. Buy whichever is least expensive? I've had both those on several different vehicles (Grand Marquis, Fusion, Taurus) and they do very well. You may get a tad bit more wear out of the Conti's, but then you pay a slightly higher price. Overall I think you're splitting hairs and it's probably not worth as much worry as you think, because they both are great.

I haven't tried the Contis, but I took my RT43s off last month after wearing them down to 4/32 after ~50K miles (5K miles rotations.) While hydroplane resistance was good, everything else about the tire was pretty bad. Dry grip was abysmal and the sidewalls were way to soft. Wet grip was decent when rolling but from a stop and/or while turning felt quite dangerous if I was pulling out into traffic (one wheel peel like crazy.) The Sumitomos A/S P02s I had before were better in every way except noise.

No idea on the snow performance, I run dedicated snows in the winter.

Last edited:
Do they make the Conti LX25 in your size? If so, my van does MUCH better on the LX25 than it did on the truecontact. Truecontact was a fine tire but the Chrysler T&C would break the grip on dry and wet starts all the time. No such issues with the LX25. First tire I have had on this van that seems to do OK with regards to starting traction.

I'm pleased with the RT43s (T & H-rated) that're on two of my cars. They take potholes well and do a good job in wet conditions.

My only gripe is their propensity to tramline on grooved roads.

Back