Will RAM for my Lenovo be cheaper in future?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2006 Lenovo ThinkPad R60, which came with only 512MB of RAM (504 effective). It has a max RAM capacity of 2GB(according to Lenovo) or 4GB (according to other aftermarket RAM makers like Kingston, Crucial etc).

Anyway, I'd like to add about 1GB RAM to this laptop...it's pretty expensive though. Lenovo RAM is about $175 and and so far I think only Kingston makes RAM for this model, which is about $135. (this is for 1GB)
I know that with time, RAM gets more expensive, when higher speed RAM is introduced...but because this laptop is still pretty new, is there a chance it(RAM) will be cheaper before it gets "that" old?

The type of RAM it uses is a 200-Pin DDR2 SO-DIMM DDR2 667 (PC2 5300) Notebook Memory.
Should I buy now...or wait a bit? I'm just afraid the prices will climb...(Right now, I have to pay more than 2x money I paid 2 yrs ago, to buy RAM for my desktop which uses PC2100 RAM!!!)

Thanks, man! I totally forgot to look in Newegg by manually setting the requirements...there are some good brands available for under/near $100...
one of the reviews said that this type of RAM was cheaper 6 mo ago, when he bought it...so this is already "old" or what??

I'd go with newegg over frys. I don't trust frys, a lot of their stuff is remanufactured and rebuilt.

Yep, notebook RAM sure takes a bite out the wallet. It's best to buy it with what you want right off the bat. I've got the same situation with the everex laptop we bought for my MIL. It came with 256K.

Joel

Prices do not usually climb. They tend to come down until they reach a point of obsolescence. If you think you need the RAM now, buy it now. Otherwise, chances are that you will not need it ever.

Why pay gateway or ibm an extra 200 when I can put a chip in for 100 from newegg?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back