Will Mitsubishi Leave the US Market?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mitsubishi shot themselves in the foot close to 20 years ago when they had some crazy zero-down, no payments for a year deal on Galants...they moved some metal, but Mitsubishi Motor Credit had a devil of a time collecting payments and repo-ing those cars from deadbeats. The image in my mind of Mitsubishi is a low-FICO driver, dings and dents, missing at least one wheelcover, and smoke coming from the exhaust due to poor design and poor maintenance. Everyone I know who owned one of their vehicles liked them and drove them a long time, but they just don't seem to put much effort into the US market for some reason.

Originally Posted by tundraotto
What was the last new Mitsubishi you saw in the USA.....they might as well have already left....

I saw one this week. A Eclipse Cross.

Mitsubishi is very much alive in the Philippines and in some parts of Asia. Their Xpander, Montero, Strada & L300 is a big hit over there. I like the aggressive & bold look of the Xpander & Montero. I wonder these vehicles are not available in the states (except for L300 which are built for small & big business fleets in Philippines-may not pass vehicle inspection in USA). Bad marketing strategy on Mitsubishi's part in my opinion.

Mitsubishi Philippines

Originally Posted by Quattro Pete
Originally Posted by parimento1
Mitsubishi has not been doing well in the US market recently.

Recently? They've been struggling for years. I'm surprised they're still here.

+1,

I thought they had left around the same time as Suzuki.

On a side note I've read that the US market has reached "peak car". Better off moving to greener pastures where consumers are less demanding and higher profit margins can be found.

Originally Posted by IMSA_Racing_Fan
I remember when Starions, Eclipses, 3000 GTs, and Evos were highly popular. I hardly think of Mitsubishi anymore in terms of affordable performance. Somewhere along the way they made a decision to abandon what gave them a name.

This exactly. They had an amazing lineup!!

Friends in northern NY are on their 3rd Mitsubishi Outlander.
Their current car, a 2015, won't hold an alignment according to the husband.

They LOVE the 2WD-4WD-LOCKING 4WD feature.

I hope not. I think the mirage is the most pure vehicle made today intent wise. Efficient, reliable transportation at all costs. Most people just don't care to understand that.

Originally Posted by Kira
Friends in northern NY are on their 3rd Mitsubishi Outlander.
Their current car, a 2015, won't hold an alignment according to the husband.

They LOVE the 2WD-4WD-LOCKING 4WD feature.

Does it have 4Lo ?

No. You can select 1st or 2nd in that 4W-LOCKED setting and that'd be your low.

NOTE: Only the 4 cyl. came with CVT.
My friend's 3rd Outlander is a GT with a 6 speed.
They selected that one because it was the only way to get paddle shifters that year.
He referred to it as "truck based" and that's a term I've seen whilst looking up parts for him.

No. You can select 1st or 2nd in that 4W-LOCKED setting and that'd be your low.

NOTE: Only the 4 cyl. came with CVT.
My friend's 3rd Outlander is a GT with a 6 speed.
They selected that one because it was the only way to get paddle shifters that year.
He referred to it as "truck based" and that's a term I've seen whilst looking up parts for him.

Yep, on the note, this is right. The 3.0 v6 comes with a Invecs II automatic. The four banger gets a cvt. Interestingly, the fuel economy is very close between the two. The 2.4 four cylinder has to work hard in this vehicle. The big obstacle is the price difference between the GT and the other trims.

As I understand it, you can select Eco mode and that keeps the system in fwd. There are other modes you can select as well but no low AWD.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Miller88
The Mirages sell like hotcakes. I expect them to really sell well with the economy in a downturn.

I haven't searched for sales data on them, but I'm lucky to see one Mirage or Outlander model on the roads every few weeks in the Buffalo area. I think they're sweet little cars that are relatively basic and you don't hear of issues with them even with the CVT models using Jatco like Nissans. The dealer in Hamburg NY changed ownership a few times and it doesn't look like a lot of activity going on there.

To me it sucks. I had a 1990 Dodge Colt 2dr hatch, 4spd MT from 1991-93. Sweet little car.

They use the same transmission as the Versa / Note, but with only 74HP, I imagine even Jatco can build a transmission that will hold up to that!

Mirages are super popular here in Syracuse. And if you ever drive through Rome, every other car is a Mirage.

Historically, Mitsubishi was quite an innovative automaker. They made the first mass produced car in Japan, started researching EV technology in the 70's, they were heavily into racing of all types and even licensed their "Silent Shaft" patents to Porsche, Saab and Fiat.

In the late 80's, they produced the first sedan with electronically controlled suspension and introduced traction control in the 90's, as well as a revolutionary shift on-the-fly 4WD system, the first of its kind on any Japanese 4WD. They even mass produced the first GDI engine in '96.

While they haven't done very well in the United States, for whatever reason, their primary markets have been East and Southeast Asia, Oceania, the Middle East and to some extent, South America. A lot of Chinese automakers buy complete drivetrains from Mitsubishi, and their 4WDs and pickup trucks have quite a following in Australia, with a huge aftermarket for modifications.

I, personally, do not think they will be leaving the U.S. market, especially considering they are now part of the Renault/Nissan alliance. Perhaps, it will be strengthened through Nissan's presence.

Huh? I'm pretty sure the Outlander's platform is shared with the Lancer.

Originally Posted by sloinker
Unless they merge and have some sort of strategic partnership. They used to be joined at the hip with Chrysler. I'm thinking a consortium of Ford,Nissan and Mitsubishi going forward to be relevant. I think the auto manufacturers are all going to have to become bigger through mergers to compete globally in future markets, sort of like the oil companies already have done.

I really hope Ford doesn't get involved in the Renault/Nissan/Mitsubishi mess. It would be awesome if they could find a way to partner with Mazda again.

Originally Posted by Silk
...If you need to carry a big load or do serious work a Mitsubishi Canter or Isuzu Elf is a better choice, they are COE and made to do the tough stuff......

The Mitsubishi (Daimler) Fuso Canter has had severe problems here for a while, the "DUONIC transmission" (an automated manual) would fall out of these things at about 40K. They used that tran because they wanted a 4 cyl. diesel for better fuel economy, but it's asking too much and the Iveco engines tend to burn oil after a while as well. I think they now sell a gas/petrol version, but the damage is done. They were already being outsold here by Isuzu without even trying, now that Toyota Hinos are available again I don't know why anyone would buy one. The dealers still have "new" 2017 models on the lot and they're giving them away.....

Originally Posted by Mr Nice
Originally Posted by skyactiv
Evos were not popular and sold in low numbers.

Not to mention they were very ugly.

Out of all the automotive enthusiasts I've come across I've never heard anybody say they were ugly; only via actual owners judging the different generations of the evo. Certainly looked better than most American sport cars at the time, except the C6 vette and terminator.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back