Will miss you David Bowie

Status
Not open for further replies.
He did some great stuff, not always my scene, but RIP.

Was funny when we were building a power station in the early '90s, the boiler contractor's site manager had a really good 2IC.

Radio banter would start "Ground Control to Major Tom", or Major Tom to Ground Control"...as code for something bad needs fixing.

Retro from way back, my favorite was Pin Ups. He was always trendy and moving forward...I never did, so only like his early stuff. Lou Reed's Transformer....T Rex, he was involved in setting the scene for the day.

1983, Western Springs Speedway - 86,000 people, the 4th largest city in NZ for one night.

CU8lzcyUcAApnIh.jpg

Last edited:
RIP. Doesn't sound like anyone else, in a good way. Kind of a mix of Hendrix & Zappa for breaking music's "rules" and Bob Dylan for thoughtful lyrics.

LOL, whut?
smile.gif

What an era back then. If you're, oh, 52-62 or so, you'll know what I mean.

RIP David.
frown.gif

Bowie adopted or created so many musical styles and never seemed like he was stretching.
Offhand, I'd have to go with "Suffragette City", great song with a rock hard base that still manages to be on the verge of going totally out of control at any moment.

Saw him in concert at Starlight Theater in Kansas City about 12 years or so ago. Great show considering he had a heart attack about a year earlier. RIP David

China Girl is one of my favorite tunes of his.

OMG I had no idea he was sick
frown.gif
We were just talking about him the other night and listening to his music. You will be GREATLY Missed David,RIP.

Here's my fave song by you David! ROCK ON!!

One thing I learned about Bowie a few years ago that surprised me was that he was chums in school with Peter Frampton. Frampton actually hit "Tops Of The Pops" before Bowie did, and was more popular again for a while with his monster hit live album. After the failure of the Sgt. Pepper movie when Peter was basically forgotten, Bowie asked him to play guitar in his touring band. Frampton said that he could never, ever repay Bowie for picking him up when he felt lost and giving him the chance to play in front of tens of thousands of fans again.
Frampton looked so much younger than Bowie in the 70s and 80s that I would never have thought they could have been schoolmates.

Wow...I was really sadden when I heard about this early this morning as I was waking up. Played in bands throughout the 80's and played a LOT of his music. One thing about Bowie, he had an ear for talented musicians. If you listen to all of his stuff, the musicians were "tight." He picked up Stevie Ray and used him as his guitarist on Let's Dance, one of his most successful albums. Asher to Asher has got to be one of my favorite songs ever. The chord structure is simply amazing...the way his vocalizations flow from one verse to the other is unreal. The use of celestial "sound" during the chorus was very unique back then. Opened up a lot of different genre's with that single song. You know, you just don't have that kind of vision in music anymore. It's like you know how these new songs are going to go once you hear the first verse. With Bowie, you never knew where the structure, vocals and feel were going to go. If you get a chance, google up Lazarus, that was his last video and was released this weekend. If true Bowie fashion, he knew what was coming and made a video with a song he wrote to sing and show it. Impeccable timing in only the way Bowie could do. He left us his last gift. Long live the Goblin King, and shall be missed by millions.

Malcolm Young (AC/DC)- retired due to dementia.
Neal Peart (Rush), retired from touring
John Wetton (King Crimson, UK, Asia)- cancer surgery & chemo, hopefully recovering.
Chris Squire (Yes) - died
Lemmy (Motorhead)- died
Bowie - died.

The music of my college years has taken a real beating over the past year. I was never a fan of Bowie or Lemmy to the same degree I was Squire, Wetton, and Peart, but their music was always there. Bowie will always stand out in my memory for introducing the world to a wunderkind guitarist from Austin Texas who played magnificnetly on his 'Let's Dance' album- Stevie Ray Vaughan. Its odd to read of his passing so soon after the filmmakers used 'Starman' in an absolutely perfect sequence in 'The Martian' last year. What a voice Bowie had. He'll be missed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back