Will a dual full flow remote mount work with a Trasko full flow?

Status
Not open for further replies.
i just baught a trasco (its in the mail on the way to my house) I also baught a dual full flow perma cool remote mount. I plan on running a trasco bypass on one side of the dual mount and a regular full flow filter on the other side. The trasco web sight mentions doing this. My question is will all the oil flow through the full flow and not let enough pressure go to the trasco? this question all has to do with basic high school physics but i cant remember any of it. I'm going to mount this set up on my 96 lx50 (same as landcruiser)

The flow will divide proportionally with the resistance it encounters. The pressure applied to both filters is the same. The resistance will be different when the oil is cold and may reduce to nest to nothing when hot. That is, it's "reactive".

The flow, assuming that the oil pump's pressure relief is not reached ..will be the same.

You will always have a lower pressure drop, assuming that the lines are not too long (unlikely) or too small (also unlikely), than a single full flow filter.

A dual remote filter mount would allow your oil to flow in parallel (not in series), meaning that your flow will be divided between the two filters based on the amount of backpressure each filter gets. If you have a regular full-flow filter with a Trasko, then the amount of oil flowing through the Trasko will be significantly reduced. Other bypass filters with this type of setup claim roughly a 10% flow through the bypass filter. I would guess that the flow through the Trasko with your setup would be roughly the same.

I understand why you are considering this setup, but if you are going through all the trouble of adding a dual mount then why not just install something like an Amsoil unit? The Trasko media is quite small compared to Amsoil bypass filter.

Another opion might be to see if you can mount a Donaldson bypass filter on one side, and a full-flow on the other. I'm not knocking the Trasko (I've got one in my Wife's car), but the real benefit of this filter is that you get some bypass filtration with the convenience and packaging of a spin-on filter. If you're going through all the trouble to put in a dual-remote unit, then you might want to put some significant capacity to your bypass system.

thanks fo the replies
You are right in that i like the convenience of spin on. i have read this forum on bypass up and down and have been to lots of sites. I'm still kinda leary of messing up my rig--ie i'm afraid of oil pressure issues and I'm trying to get the courage to extend my oil change intervals to the extent you guys do. Right now im so anal i change the mobile 1 synthetics in my rig every 3 months regardless of miles (that makes 6 changes in 13,000 miles). As i learn more i see the the overkill in this. But man its fun to change one's oil. I'm about to send in my first oil analysis and go from there. I like the trasko due to its convenience and ease of change. From what i read the trasko is a great bypass. I don't plan on going past 6,000 miles before i change oil anyway so the smaller media of the trasko will probably be ok. As far as capacity goes my landcruiser holds 7.5 quarts stock anyway. I have read the trasko site more carefully and it suggests that running a dual full flow will negate the trascko's ability to act as a bypass making the trasko a full flow only if i run it next to a full flow. Even in full flow only the trasko claims to filter to 8-10 microns. i'm thinking about returning the permacool and just running the trasko right on the block. Is it safe to run the trasko alone by itself?

Since a Trasko is acceptable as a "stand alone" filter...why not run two of them in parallel? You will have 1/2 the resistance 100% of the time. This has got to be below ..or at least close to the single ff that you currently use.

No Donaldson bypass will mount to a Permalcool filter head that I'm aware of (there may be one). The one for a Cummins is a 1 3/8 thread. It won't even fit on a standard Cummins thread mount (probably to assure that they won't be confused).

Hmm..on second thought

P550412

A - OD (Inches): 3.64
B - Thread Size (Inches): M20 X 1.5
C - Length (Inches): 4.92
D - Gasket OD (Inches): 3.43
Product Type Description: LUBE SPIN-ON BYPASS
Primary Application: MAZDA SL5014V61

ELF7777 and P550777

A - OD (Inches): 4.65
B - Thread Size (Inches): 1 3/8-12
C - Length (Inches): 10.24
D - Gasket OD (Inches): 4.32
E - Gasket ID (Inches): 3.85
Primary Application: Donaldson Endurance Version
Primary Application 2: of P550777

P550425

A - OD (Inches): 4.29
B - Thread Size (Inches): 1 3/8 - 16
C - Length (Inches): 10.36
D - Gasket OD (Inches): 3.99
E - Gasket ID (Inches): 3.63
Primary Application: VOLVO 4775565

P551343

A - OD (Inches): 4.02
B - Thread Size (Inches): M26 X 1.5
C - Length (Inches): 5.31
D - Gasket OD (Inches): 2.87
E - Gasket ID (Inches): 1.77
Relief Valve Setting (PSI): 12-16
Anti Drain Valve (Y/N): Yes
Primary Application: MITSUBISHI MD069782

Here's something interesting:

P557382

A - OD (Inches): 3.66
B - Thread Size (Inches): M26 X 1.5
C - Length (Inches): 6.92
D - Gasket OD (Inches): 2.81
E - Gasket ID (Inches): 2.42
Product Type Description: LUBE SPIN-ON COMBINATION
Primary Application: THERMO KING 117382,
Application Note: FULL FLOW/BYPASS

P553404

A - OD (Inches): 3.81
B - Thread Size (Inches): 5/8" - 18
C - Length (Inches): 7.91
D - Gasket OD (Inches): 2.82
Primary Application: CARRIER TRANSICOLD 30.00304.00

P550356

A - OD (Inches): 5.48
B - Thread Size (Inches): M60 x 3
C - Length (Inches): 6.62
Relief Valve Setting (PSI): 10-15
Product Type Description: LUBE SPIN-ON COMBINATION
Primary Application: FORD 826F6714
Application Note: FULL FLOW/BYPASS

P550242

A - OD (Inches): 3.7
B - Thread Size (Inches): M18 X 1.5
C - Length (Inches): 3.72
D - Gasket OD (Inches): 2.46
E - Gasket ID (Inches): 2.2
Relief Valve Setting (PSI): 8-11
Anti Drain Valve (Y/N): Yes
Primary Application: MITSUBISHI ME014838

P550154

A - OD (Inches): 3.73
B - Thread Size (Inches): 5/8" - 18
C - Length (Inches): 4.31
D - Gasket OD (Inches): 2.83
E - Gasket ID (Inches): 2.46
Primary Application: IHC 538836R1

P550050

A - OD (Inches): 3.81
B - Thread Size (Inches): 5/8 - 18 UNF-2B
C - Length (Inches): 5.22
D - Gasket OD (Inches): 2.82
Primary Application: CAT, AMC, MF, ALLIS 74512207

I think that's all of the spin on bypass filters from Donaldson.

Originally posted by Laproscopic:
quote:

Is it safe to run the trasko alone by itself?

Several of us have vehicles using the Trasko by itself, and they're running fine. If you do a search in the UOA section, you'll find a few UOAs using the Trasko filter and they look pretty good.

Gary Allan: Great info. Thanks for posting. Too bad a Donaldson won't fit. If it did, I think they's find a few new customers.

Like slalom44 stated ,the Trasco works well as a standalone filter and is capable of producing great UOA`s on extended OCI`s.I had my first chance to clean it and it wasn`t as difficult as I thought it would be.I`m running 11k OCI`s with Mobil 1 showing great results. I also installed a permacool filter adapter with a Trasco for my Tranny with great results.

Boy this seems like a lot of engineering.

I can't understand you would want to even use the traskso. The Amsoil unit has 10 time the capacity and is so easy to install. Plus with the Amsoil dual remote you can add a larger full flow filter to give you even more capacity. It's easy to install, and can be had with all the hardware for less than $200.

-

I think the amsoil unit is a fine piece from my reading. But...the bypass filters for it are so expensive. If i had a fleet of vehicles and only wanted to open the hood to change the oil every 25,000 miles sure that would be great, but I plan on changing the oil by 10,000 miles anyway which is what is suggested by trasko. The tracko was only about $70 and from posts delivers some great OA's. best of all it is a simple screw on. I can't argue with your argument on the increased capasity with the amsoil..but my rig already has 7.5 Qt from the factory. if the amsoil bypass filters were like $12 each I would definatly use the amsoil filter...but i can't justify the expense. I got my trasko in the mail the other day and and I am impressed with the machining and craftsmanship. I had to play with the filter for a while to see how the bypass mechanism works; its easier to see than to explain..but it is pretty cool. I am waiting for my oa kit to arrive in the mail so i can send in a analysis of my oil before i install the trasko-i am at about 4,500 miles on my rig with the average report for my vehicle being 4,700 miles. I will keep all posted on my oa's after instalation for compare. i have been using M1 synthetic and will continue to due so.
By the way...i dont see why you need to use the fancy trako tp for the filter..couldn't you trim a nl roll and make it work?...is anyone using nl tp in the trako and getting good OA's?

laproscopic, there has been some discussion about using T.P. instead of the Trasco media but nobody has posted saying that they tried it.If you try it make sure to let us know how it goes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back