Will a Body Shop paint a wheel only?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Earlier post I described having finally discovered the reason for bad vibrations on my 2007 Avalon. One wheel with too much run out. So I needed a new wheel.

Dealer wanted $496 for a new wheel.

Searched Ebay and found a new one for only $179. When the wheel arrived I discover that the silver is darker than the OEM wheels on my car.

Question is -- will a body shop paint a wheel and will they be able to closely match the OEM color?

I honestly have never heard if anyone had a wheel painted at a body shop.

If this is an aluminum wheel, you might take it to a wheel repair shop. Refinishing wheels is as much a part of their business as repairing them.

The paint will match but I would worry about their glossy finish being the "same" as the rest of the wheels WRT shedding brake dust, and further UV aging. IOW I'd leave it alone. I know it's probably your "first scratch"/compromise that implies a not-showroom-fresh car but the eye will eventually grow to ignore it... and few others would notice as well.

Makes me wonder if at the factory they dig around to find 4 matching rims for each car... or if a day's rim production of the same "lot" match.

I am still trying to decide. The difference is significant between what I have OEM factory and the new one I purchased. The OEM are a bright silver. The one I purchased is a darker almost charcoal silver.

A wheel refinishing shop could probably repair your old wheel or refinish the new one.

Around here, they charge around $125/wheel.

We dont have any wheel refinishers out here in the middle of the desert. I am hesitant to send a brand new wheel to them, I'm not sure I would get the exact wheel returned to me. I have already tried getting a refinished wheel and it did not work out. The refinished wheel had too much run out still according to the road force balancer.

Pay them enough money and they'll paint anything your hearts desires, in any color, hue, and gloss you wish.

Heck I know a body shop that paints appliances for homeowners wishing to change color.

I suspect that the minimum cost and effort for the shop might be more than they think they can charge you for.

First they have to buy a quart of the right color (if they can determine what that is), then they have the wheel prep labor, which might be substantial, depending on the wheel. Then there is the gun cleaning afterward, and the prospect that you might not like the job, or it will blister later, etc, etc.

You could try it your self, bit of sanding and priming and away you go. I imagine you can get the paint code from toyota or maybe even a spray can.
Anyways when it doesn't match exactly you won't feel ripped off by paying $100+ for someone else to do it... I doubt anyone but you actually looks closely at the factory wheels on your car.

I'd put it on the front of the car and after 5000miles of brake dust you wont notice it

(until you clean it)

Last edited:
It will eventually fade to match the others. I honestly wouldn't bother -- unless it's way off. Pics?

You drive an Avalon -- no one will be looking anyway:) (just kidding)

I used to be at a shop where they did boat trailer wheels. I was surprised there is no industry "standard" white. Once there was some left over metal flake red and the painter sprayed the seat(s) for the bathrooms. What a way to go. ;o)

Originally Posted By: CapriRacer
Originally Posted By: mrsilv04
I don't know why a body shop wouldn't do this.

PITA

Making it known that you're willing to pay a fair price for the service has a way of minimizing or dissolving the PITA factor.

Originally Posted By: kkreit01
It will eventually fade to match the others. I honestly wouldn't bother -- unless it's way off. Pics?

You drive an Avalon -- no one will be looking anyway:) (just kidding)

We have an 07 Avalon too (thankfully with true wheels). There were in fact two colors on the alloys. My wife's "burgundy" colored car has the "gunmetalish" OEM wheels. I say "ish" since it's sort of a tint, rather than all the way to gunmetal. The other OEM is standard fare silver. The color contrast is actually quite noticeable. Were I in this boat, I'd be doing the same thing (or looking harder on the on-line sites for a gunmetal wheel...).

Well I solved the problem with some Discount Tire help. I had the full size spare on the ground and the bad wheel with the replacement TOYO tire as the spare.

I had Discount take the TOYO and remount it on the original Spare wheel. Had the original spare Michelin mounted on the off color new wheel and put it in trunk for the spare. The bad wheel is now bare and waiting to be sold and shipped to a wheel refinisher.

The more I thought about it. I have hardly ever had to use a spare for a flat. If I have it has only been for a few hours to no more than a couple of days. So I can stand a different color wheel for that length of time if the need arises.

Problem solved.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back