WiFi Thief detection

Status
Not open for further replies.
I suspect someone is stealing my Wi Fi signal. Is there a way to check if someone is on my router.
If so please give me details as I'm not the sharpest computer guy around.

Thanks Smoky

Originally Posted By: Smoky14
I suspect someone is stealing my Wi Fi signal. Is there a way to check if someone is on my router.
If so please give me details as I'm not the sharpest computer guy around.

Thanks Smoky

Find Network Magic

Make your wireless wifi access password protected. No one will be able to feed off your signal unless they know your password.

Your router should have a status tab of some sort to see what computers have taken an address.

Now, remembering how to login to your router might be the biggest problem.

If you can't remember the password, there is an admin password you can get from the manufacturer to get into the router. Most likely requires Ethernet hardline in though otherwise anyone could use it. Once you get into the router lock it down.

Even if you found out someone was stealing your wifi there is nothing you can do about it since it was left open.

Last edited:
Don't waste your time, there's nothing you're gonna be able to do about it anyhow if someone was borrowing it. If you think you can run the "magic program" and find out where they live and get after them, go back to the movies.

If your wifi is unencrypted (not using WPA/WPA2 encryption) thats your own fault for not setting it up properly...and I'd HIGHLY suggest you do so immediately, with a long password (20+ characters).

Call your router manufacturer customer service....once you wait on the line for 2.6 hours and then get connected to the guy in India you won't care anymore.
crazy2.gif

I'm guessing you believe someone is stealing your wireless based on the activity of lights on your router or modem. This is not a good indicator since your devices, your ISP, and several other things will cause the lights to flicker quite often.

With that said, if you live in a densely populated area and you don't have WPA/WPA2 security with a password, than someone probably is using your wireless connection.

Download the manual for your router and lock it down with a password.

If you don't want to mess with and are still concerned, find a local computer guy and they will come out to your house and set it up for somewhere in the neighborhood of $100.

Good luck.

Do you know how to get into the router software? There should be a list of IP addresses and MAC addresses for connected devices.

If you reset your router, or clear the list, then you should be able to match your devices to the MACs and IPs. If you dont know some of them, then you may have a visitor.

I've found network magic is "good" but in all reality...atleast when I tried it....it basically was just a prettier interface to the linksys router page
smile.gif
but ya being that you are not computer saavy your best but is to find a local computer nerd to assist. But ya from when I tried network magic, it basically shows a network map of all connected devices and you tell it which ones are "Bad" and it mac address blocks them for example.

Originally Posted By: Doog
Call your router manufacturer customer service....once you wait on the line for 2.6 hours and then get connected to the guy in India you won't care anymore.
crazy2.gif

True, and it is a pay for service so make sure you have the credit card handy. LOL

MAC address blocking won't keep a laptop out (but might work for some other devices) of the network because the MAC address can be changed in 2 seconds. It's the equivalent of keeping people out of your house by posting a sign at the door saying "Do not enter if your name is Larry or Moe." Locking the door (using WPA or WPA2) works better.

The (wired network) MAC on the computer I'm posting from right now is 12:34:56:78:9a:bc.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: tommygunn
I've found network magic is "good" but in all reality...atleast when I tried it....it basically was just a prettier interface to the linksys router page
smile.gif
but ya being that you are not computer saavy your best but is to find a local computer nerd to assist. But ya from when I tried network magic, it basically shows a network map of all connected devices and you tell it which ones are "Bad" and it mac address blocks them for example.

Not sure what version or when you tried it, but it uses WPA2, plus if you are really "aggressive" you can block everything from joining (even yourself) unless you go in manually and change the setting. I just recommended it because it's so bone easy, not sure why folks would dissuade the OP.

What all the others said AND move the router to the LOWEST point in your dwelling that will service YOUR computers. Those 2 gig signals drop off quickly, but height extends coverage. If "other users" can't detect your signal, they can't catch a free ride. If you live on top of a ten story apartment building you will be surprised how much area you might be covering with an "invitation to steal". Not much you can do about that.

To prevent: make sure you use WPA/WPA2 and set a secure password

To check: when you think your speed is slow, install some software on a Linux with dedicated software (i.e. Backtrack) to sniff what is the traffic in the air, and analyze it. Most likely it is not worth the effort and you'll need to learn a lot before you know what to do.

Are you sure it is not because your ISP oversold cable modem subscription in your area?

whoa. nobody likes to beat the man and share that wifi. what a shame
lol.gif
I have heard that neighbors will split a cable internet bill and use wifi. but I couldn't do that, I wouldn't want them to know what sites I go to.

Originally Posted By: Cutehumor
whoa. nobody likes to beat the man and share that wifi. what a shame
lol.gif
I have heard that neighbors will split a cable internet bill and use wifi. but I couldn't do that, I wouldn't want them to know what sites I go to.

That's great until the person who's name the service is in has local/state/fed law enforcement show up at their door because the person they're sharing with has been up to no good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back