Wife Just Got Rear-Ended.

Status
Not open for further replies.
She's OK, I think, but says her lower back may be hurting a little bit. She is 32 weeks pregnant, so I'm just thankful she's OK! I'm going to take her in to get checked out. They want to put her on a monitor for about 4 hrs. to be sure the baby is OK. She also says she has a bit of lower back pain.

I thought I'd post up here because I've seen people post up here and get some great suggestions about legal and insurance stuff. I know "Bob is not the legal or insurance guy", but maybe some of you guys who have been through this could offer some suggestions about how to make sure we get what's coming to us as far as insurance, etc.

The guy has "Acceptance" insurance, which I'm not even sure if his policy is up to date or anything. I did get a photo of what I think is his insurance card, but it doesn't have a phone number on it. Also got a photo of his DL & license plate. I found a website for "Acceptance Insurance".

Britta is on the phone with her insurance now.

I guess I'm a bit worried about this "Acceptance" insurance co. It sounds like a 2nd or 3rd-tier insurance company, and I'm sure they'll try everything to avoid paying, even though there's absolutely no doubt that she wasn't at fault. Britta's dash cam was even running at the time, showing that she was stopped. Unfortunately there's only the forward view.

So, would the best thing be to let our insurance (Progressive) battle this out with "Acceptance" insurance co?

Car is the '18 Civic in my profile. I'll post photos shortly.

Thanks guys.

Just did a search. Acceptance sells to high risk drivers.

Definitely let Progressive know what has happened. In the meantime keep all records of medical and other paperwork involving the car.

I hope your wife will be okay and the baby as well.

Oh, and I’m sure your wife will be fine. That jiggly sack of fluid makes for the best airbag in the world!’

My wife was also in an accident where she was hit on her side and smacked her head against the window. My 1-at-the-time year-old had no idea anything had happened. Car seats are great, too

Yes. Let your insurance handle it. If her insurance calls you, do not talk to them. Simply refer them to your company and give them the name of your family attorney to scare them a bit.

Glad your wife and unborn child are OK, hope there are no injuries.

Give all the info to Progressive and let them handle it. They'll deal with the other driver's insurance company on your behalf; its what you pay them for.

If you do have family attorney pay him (around here it is 100 to 150) to be able to refer them to him. He will charge n 15 minute increments for phone calls. Lawyer on retainer is usually cheaper than a percentage.

Otherwise interview ambulance chasers.

The guy probably has the lowest acceptable limit, progressive will have to step in and cover the rest to the limit on your policy.

This is a good time to remind everyone about having a conference with your agent about liability and medical limits.

Your family health insurance will step in and cover the rest with deductible applying. They will go after the at fault driver.

I am betting this is not the at fault drivers first parade.

Rod

Glad the Wife is fine... Let your insurance company take car of the vehicle and you care for the wife !

It sounds like a 2nd or 3rd-tier insurance company, and I'm sure they'll try everything to avoid paying, even though there's absolutely no doubt that she wasn't at fault.

😱😱😱 Using your logic, it's best to be insured by a 3rd tier company, because, if it's your fault, it'll fight to not admit it, and "they'll try everything to avoid paying" the other side. While Progressive, GEICO, etc will immediately throw you under the bus by giving up on you 😂😂😂 Jesus Christ Lord. Help some people

As others have pointed out (and I recently experienced), file the claim with your company and let them collect from the other. That's what you pay them for.

So, would the best thing be to let our insurance (Progressive) battle this out with "Acceptance" insurance co?
You've already gotten multiple replies saying this, but here's another: Yes, have your insurance process your claim. This is their job. Don't let any front-line rep at Progressive tell you otherwise. If they mention that the other driver appears at-fault, remind them that they are your insurance company and you pay them to take care of you.

I went through this myself. Let your insurance and lawyer handle things and concentrate on her well being.
I was setting at a red-light in an F350 and a drunk slammed me from behind and pushed across 4 lanes of traffic into an Autozone sign post on the corner. L4 L5 S1 damage and hip surgery with almost a year off work and extensive physical therapy.
My mission was to make sure the guy who hit me was held accountable. He was a well connected CPA and had his checkbook in hand as we met after the crash. Turns out he had 8, yes 8 first offense DUI somehow and many "friends " of his stopped by to speak to me on his behalf. I held firm and kept showing up, literally dozens of times as his lawyers were trying delay tactics. He ended up with 3 months in jail, 3 years home confinement and lost his license for 10 years. And I got paid.

John, hope all goes well for you and your family.

Thankfully it's been many years since I've had to deal with something like this, but last time I did, I wasn't quite so easy. My insurance at the time, Allstate pushed back hard for me to deal with the other guy's insurance. Ultimately, the only way allstate got involved was when they had to subrogate.

The other thing is with medical expenses. I don't know how it works for everyone, but it's gets complicated with medical bills if it's auto insurance related thing. Your regular health care coverage won't touch it.

My wife had someone back into the back end of her at a relatively high speed at a gas station once when she was like 34 weeks preggo. The car full o kids that did it took off. I had a local shop fix the bumper on her car at the time for cash.

My wife works for a PI law firm. You have 2 years to file for damages in NJ. I'd imagine something similar in your state. Number one priority is your wife and unborn baby. Get the proper medical attention for both. Hopefully, everything is ok and the wife's back will feel better soon. Worry about money later and don't sign anything. There's no rush to resolve the insurance claims. Call a couple PI law firms and see what they say.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back