Wife hit a deer

Wow never seen a deer do that much damage. As new as that is I wouldn’t think it’s totaled especially if the air bags didn’t deploy.
These things total very easily they aren’t worth much and the parts on cheap. That being said who knows. It’s fixable for sure whether it’s economically viable though is a different story and I’m sure the insurance will tell me 😂

I am not sure I understand, but comprehensive insurance should pay what the car is worth, right?
On top of that, everything is negotiable.
So the note gets paid and you get what's left.
Regardless, your wife is OK and that's the main thing.
Good luck.

I am definitely opening myself up to "wow how insensitive" in case the answer is "no," but is that "FOR PAUL" referring to Paul Walker?
Yea it is ! Talk about bad freaking placement. It’s not going on the next car. Instead I’ll put something godly there maybe that will give me better odds. “For Jesus” or something 😂😂😂

Just because someone finances a car, it doesn't mean they automatically have gap. I financed my car at 1.95%. I would have paid cash, but it didn't make sense to because some of my accounts earn well over 3%. I'd lose money paying cash. Instead, I negotiated a sweet deal and got the car for about $3,000 under any book value you want to reference. I also put $1,000 toward it during the sale just for extra insurance that I wouldn't owe anywhere close to the value it's actually worth. So I 'owe' $12,000 on a $16,000 car. Both the dealer and my credit union tried pushing gap on me. I laughed in their faces and said "do I look stupid to you? I decline." I'm going to be rounding my payment up to the next $100 each month anyway (my payment is $246, so each month $54 goes direct to principal. There is zero chance I'll ever need gap. Perks of buying smart and properly managing finances. So why would I pay for a service designed for someone who makes bad decisions?
Great for you. I’m pretty sure the guy you’re quoting is either confusing with a lease contract that includes GAP or promotional gap pricing that comes with new car financing and is quite reasonable on a brand new car.

Yea it is ! Talk about bad freaking placement. It’s not going on the next car. Instead I’ll put something godly there maybe that will give me better odds. “For Jesus” or something 😂😂😂
I was going to point out the hilarious irony, but figured I didn't want to seem like 'that guy.'

Is GAP similar (or the "same") as insurance which pays off a new car loan in the event the car's owner dies before it's paid off?
GAP pays the difference when you’re upside down on a car loan.

Like buying a new Mercedes for $50k and totaling it the next week when it’s only worth $40k.

When I was an insurance adjuster I saw many vehicles totaled by deer. I believe that one will be totaled or close to it. Hard to tell without seeing the passenger side. She is very lucky it didn't go through the windshield.

Usually there is no structure damage with a deer hit. Usually the hood, fenders, bumper cover and headlights will just bolt on. It looks like it's totaled but hard to tell for sure. The insurance will give you what the car books out for. If it books for $1500 and you owe $2000 you will have to come up with the difference. I would probably pay the $1000 and have a body shop fix it with aftermarket parts and try to get by for a low dollar amount. You can't have the title until its paid off.

Usually there is no structure damage with a deer hit. Usually the hood, fenders, bumper cover and headlights will just bolt on. It looks like it's totaled but hard to tell for sure. The insurance will give you what the car books out for. If it books for $1500 and you owe $2000 you will have to come up with the difference. I would probably pay the $1000 and have a body shop fix it with aftermarket parts and try to get by for a low dollar amount. You can't have the title until its paid off.
Yup, all correct. Usually very little structural damage, but on a car like that it will be close due to parts/labor costs. Body shop rates are insane (especially when they know they are billing insurance companies).

So the insurance wanted to total it just based off what we told them . Which I thought was odd so I requested to at least send pictures. It’ll probably be totaled though and then here’s to hoping they give me fair value for the car.

Glad she is ok. Crazy to think that it’s totaled without even airbag deployment, which I think would mean that it happened at relatively low speed. Plus, if she drove it home, unless she ran it with no coolant, it means that all those systems might still be ok.

Beware of insurance nickel and dining you out of fair value. Then you pay your deductible. You can buy back at some variant of scrap value, and this might be a candidate for repair, even if it’s not pretty (different color parts or whatnot). But you’ll need to scrutinize closely if worth it, should it come to that.

Glad she is ok. Crazy to think that it’s totaled without even airbag deployment, which I think would mean that it happened at relatively low speed. Plus, if she drove it home, unless she ran it with no coolant, it means that all those systems might still be ok.

Beware of insurance nickel and dining you out of fair value. Then you pay your deductible. You can buy back at some variant of scrap value, and this might be a candidate for repair, even if it’s not pretty (different color parts or whatnot). But you’ll need to scrutinize closely if worth it, should it come to that.

I’m already concerned about the insurance not giving me fair value for
It. They made it clear they didn’t want to take it to a body shop because they didn’t want to pay them to look at it or hold
It. They would rather just see pictures and deem it totaled. Actually they didn’t even want Pics they were going to total it without even seeing it at first.
They seem very worried about spending any money. So that not a good sign in my mind.
they also according to their list of steps they sent me is they want to take possession of the car before giving me a price they’re going to pay for the car and they want me to mail them the title and they will mail me the check after I have all of that. Seem weird. The accident I was in years ago now they negotiated a price with me before taking the car. Then they paid me before they took the car.

It. They made it clear they didn’t want to take it to a body shop because they didn’t want to pay them to look at it or hold
It. They would rather just see pictures and deem it totaled. Actually they didn’t even want Pics they were going to total it without even seeing it at first.
They seem very worried about spending any money. So that not a good sign in my mind.
they also according to their list of steps they sent me is they want to take possession of the car before giving me a price they’re going to pay for the car and they want me to mail them the title and they will mail me the check after I have all of that. Seem weird. The accident I was in years ago now they negotiated a price with me before taking the car. Then they paid me before they took the car.
I wouldn't be worried about the picture estimate. The company I worked for did that many times, they would often ask for several pictures of specific areas around the damaged part of the car, then send that info to an appraiser or body shop working with the company. It was a way to take care of claims quicker without having to send people through the process if the vehicle was determined to be totaled from a quick preliminary inspection. For vehicles that looked repairable they usually proceeded with the process.

Insurance companies by their nature hate spending money no matter what, but I wouldn't assume right off the bat that what they will offer you is unfair. My advice would be send them pics of the damage, and look at what similar vehicles (year, options, mileage, condition) are selling for in your area. That is usually the value the company will base their offer on should it be totaled.

Also, totaling a vehicle doesn't mean it is "unrepairable", just that the cost to repair the vehicle exceeds a certain percentage of it's pre-accident market value. That percentage can vary between companies, some are actually more likely to total vehicles than others.

I would not worry too much about the current process. Companies have found the cost of fixing cars, all the paperwork and employee time adds up. They are better off cutting a check and being done wioth it.
Get a fair value for your car in your head. Go from there. Hopefully you are with a good company that will back up up.
Good luck.

Back