Wife hit a deer

Wife hit a deer tonight everyone is ok. She's sore and a little shook up but she is ok. No air bags deployed but it's likely totaled regardless. What happens if you total a car and owe less than it's worth. I believe I owe about $1500 less than what it is worth retail. So that being said if the insurance agrees how does that work? I have a 1,000 deductible.

Here is a picture of the dart.

Attachments

• 9CF629CE-374E-4D77-8CC3-A5FA4A49A59A.jpeg
    9CF629CE-374E-4D77-8CC3-A5FA4A49A59A.jpeg
    167 KB · Views: 146
Wife hit a deer tonight everyone is ok. She's sore and a little shook up but she is ok. No air bags deployed but it's likely totaled regardless. What happens if you total a car and owe less than it's worth. I believe I owe about $1500 less than what it is worth retail. So that being said if the insurance agrees how does that work? I have a 1,000 deductible.
Short version: if your numbers are right, you get a check for $500.

Can vary by state. In TX you can negotiate the value of your vehicle.

In general, you will get the difference between what is owed and the value they determine minus the deductible.
Then they usually add some tax and registration fees back in.
If you have an extended warranty you can sometimes recover some of that also.

he says:

"I believe I owe about $1500 less than what it is worth retail"

Sounds like he doesn't have the title on the car yet, since he still owes some money to a financial institution.
I have the title it has all lien on it though.

If it's still being financed, usually you have to already pay for "gap insurance"
Just because someone finances a car, it doesn't mean they automatically have gap. I financed my car at 1.95%. I would have paid cash, but it didn't make sense to because some of my accounts earn well over 3%. I'd lose money paying cash. Instead, I negotiated a sweet deal and got the car for about $3,000 under any book value you want to reference. I also put $1,000 toward it during the sale just for extra insurance that I wouldn't owe anywhere close to the value it's actually worth. So I 'owe' $12,000 on a $16,000 car. Both the dealer and my credit union tried pushing gap on me. I laughed in their faces and said "do I look stupid to you? I decline." I'm going to be rounding my payment up to the next $100 each month anyway (my payment is $246, so each month $54 goes direct to principal. There is zero chance I'll ever need gap. Perks of buying smart and properly managing finances. So why would I pay for a service designed for someone who makes bad decisions?

First, I hope your wife is OK ( we have hit a few over the years so I know what you are dealing with from personal experience)

Now, is the deer resting comfortably in the freezer? ( closest thing to final justice you will get because of the way many insurances work on cars)

Wow never seen a deer do that much damage. As new as that is I wouldn’t think it’s totaled especially if the air bags didn’t deploy.

Would need more information to determine of it's fixable. And by fixable I mean economically viable to pay someone else to do it, or you pull out the radiator support and replace the bolt on parts.

Wow never seen a deer do that much damage. As new as that is I wouldn’t think it’s totaled especially if the air bags didn’t deploy.

Really?! You must have small deer around there, lol! I hit a 12-point buck with my wife's truck and it was.... expensive. There's a thread on it here somewhere.

@ram_man she is extremely lucky it didn't go through the windshield! Must not have hit it that fast. As I'm sure you know, the risk with hitting a deer/moose/cow/elk...etc is that you take the legs out and the body comes through the windshield. Part of the reason I prefer the truck on the back roads, it's high enough that this won't happen.

Glad to hear she's OK!

Really?! You must have small deer around there, lol! I hit a 12-point buck with my wife's truck and it was.... expensive. There's a thread on it here somewhere.

@ram_man she is extremely lucky it didn't go through the windshield! Must not have hit it that fast. As I'm sure you know, the risk with hitting a deer/moose/cow/elk...etc is that you take the legs out and the body comes through the windshield. Part of the reason I prefer the truck on the back roads, it's high enough that this won't happen.

Glad to hear she's OK!
Lol I haven’t seen a 12 point since I was part of a hunting club and it was deep in the woods.

Lol I haven’t seen a 12 point since I was part of a hunting club and it was deep in the woods.
Ahhh, that'd do it. While that's a large deer around here, they get bigger than that. I hit it up near Kirkfield, so it's reasonably remote, lots of farm land, swamp and dense brush. From what I recall, Ontario deer are significantly larger than what are found in most of the US states.

Ahhh, that'd do it. While that's a large deer around here, they get bigger than that. I hit it up near Kirkfield, so it's reasonably remote, lots of farm land, swamp and dense brush. From what I recall, Ontario deer are significantly larger than what are found in most of the US states.
Yeah I am sure I know lots of people from up there and that’s what they have told me.

We have good size deer here as well.
Shes never been in a car wreck so she was in shock and kept driving 🤦🏼 Luckily it was close to the house . I went back up there to see if the deer was there so I don’t think she killed it no blood anywhere or anything. My guess is she hurt it though which is a bummer.

Back