Wife got hurt at a city function

Status
Not open for further replies.
Curious what ya'll think. Wife and daughter were at a city sponsored event, festival of lights at Christmas kind of thing. Well, it lost power and was dark. As she and my daughter were walking away in the dark, and lot's of people leaving as well, she tripped over a bunch of power cords, landed on her knees and then face plant in the ground. Broke her nose and finger. Had to stay home for a week. We went to the local ER and they took xrays, and sure enough, broken bones. Found out today that she will need surgery....more missed days of work not to mention the medical bills we'll get. I have insurance, but it doesn't pay for everything as ya'll know. My question, can that city be held responsible at least for medical bills? There were no emergency lights or nothing. There are no signs around that said "we are not responsible...enter at own risk" kind of thing. Do I have any recourse?

Talk to the city first. In most cases, they have insurance for special events. If that doesn't work, consult a lawyer.

I wish her a speedy and complete recovery.

I think it's just an unfortunate accident, and wouldn't consider the City liable.

There should be insurance coverage in place for an event such as this one.

You'll probably need to lawyer up though.

At the very least talk to event. Power cords should be run over walking areas with a plywood transition not loose. Goal about talking is to help improve next years iteration.

No idea on liable but plenty of slippery lawyers who can advise you there.

I'm very sorry to hear that your wife got hurt and wish her a speedy recovery.

The crux of your post: "Do I have any recourse?" is a fundamentally legal issue/question and is best answered by an attorney licensed in your jurisdiction, not here on BITOG.

Again, I'm sorry to hear of her injury and wish you and her the very best.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back