Wife bought 2020 corolla my first impressions

Originally Posted by Elkins45
We've had three Corollas at my house: 1995 (1.6L auto) that was sold still running great at 187K, 2007 (1.8L 5-speed) that was sold still running great at 178K and a 2015 (1.8L auto) my wife is currently driving with 80k trouble free miles. Money well spent on all of them IMO.

I also had a 2012 Mazda3 (2.0L Skyactiv 6-speed) that I loved but that I decided to trade after Bambi rearranged most of the front end. I traded it for a 2016 Mazda6 (2.5L Skyactiv 6-speed) that is at around 40K with no issues. I would have just gotten another 3 but they had just moved production to Mexico and I didn't want to be the guinea pig for a new low budget factory build. My 6 was made in Japan and that's just how I like it.

It makes me really sad they stopped making these with manual transmissions. I bought another car so I can make my 6 last as long as I can.

Did you know Corollas are now available with a 2.0 liter engine AND 6 speed MT? One of the few manufacturers left now making cars with MT. Pretty good reviews and very decent 0-60mph times too! I'm thinking of test driving one just to check it out. Wish at least the 2.0 had been an option in 2015 when we got our S plus.

Originally Posted by NissanMaxima
We've had three Corollas at my house: 1995 (1.6L auto) that was sold still running great at 187K, 2007 (1.8L 5-speed) that was sold still running great at 178K and a 2015 (1.8L auto) my wife is currently driving with 80k trouble free miles. Money well spent on all of them IMO.

I also had a 2012 Mazda3 (2.0L Skyactiv 6-speed) that I loved but that I decided to trade after Bambi rearranged most of the front end. I traded it for a 2016 Mazda6 (2.5L Skyactiv 6-speed) that is at around 40K with no issues. I would have just gotten another 3 but they had just moved production to Mexico and I didn't want to be the guinea pig for a new low budget factory build. My 6 was made in Japan and that's just how I like it.

It makes me really sad they stopped making these with manual transmissions. I bought another car so I can make my 6 last as long as I can.

Did you know Corollas are now available with a 2.0 liter engine AND 6 speed MT? One of the few manufacturers left now making cars with MT. Pretty good reviews and very decent 0-60mph times too! I'm thinking of test driving one just to check it out. Wish at least the 2.0 had been an option in 2015 when we got our S plus.

Throw a set of coil overs on it, some nice tires and you'd have a pretty fun little car! I want to take one for a drive too lol

Last edited:
Originally Posted by fdcg27
If Mazdas were all that we'd see dealers selling them everywhere.
If Toyotas were really that bad, they'd have the same dealer network as Mazda does.
That Corolla will be running around long after a new Mazda would have rusted to dust.
This is one of the dirty little secrets of Mazda cars that we up here observe whenever we see one that's more than a few years old.

The 2010 Mazda 3 in my sig would disagree. It gets zero special treatment, maybe 2 car washes a year. And operates in one of the nastiest salty environments around.
Zero surface rust. And ftr, no rust perforation.
Under carriage has some rust .

Originally Posted by NissanMaxima

I mistakenly thought only the hatchback is available with a manual. I'm happy to discover there's a manual sedan for 2020.

Originally Posted by Danno
Under carriage has some rust .

Then it's a rusty car in my book. Just a matter of crusty.

When I shop used cars I start by looking under the car. Once I see scale, I'm usually done. I care much less about paint quality and dents than I do if it's clean underneath.

[And yes, I know, I bought Toyota's, rust queens of the world, but the Mazda's I've seen make Toyota's look good.]

Originally Posted by DweezilAZ

That's not what the Detroit Free Press uncovered. Even Ford admits there is no fix for that transmission. 20,000 miles ? Still nearly new. Time will tell. Great you're optimistic. Hope it works out for you but I wouldn't be too surprised if it takes a dump on you.

https://www.roadandtrack.com/car-cu...d-settlement-for-ford-powershift-owners/

Maybe you ought to read your own link before you post. The R&T article said "2011 - 2016 Ford Fiestas". Anticipating someone would try to take me to task, I went to lengths to say mine was a 2017. Its Fixed.

Here is another link for you. Notice the 2017 model year, specifically. Whatever you drive will likely "take a dump" on you before mine ever will.

https://www.carcomplaints.com/Ford/Fiesta/transmission/

I wonder who decided to slap the slogan "The most reliable car" on the Corolla?

Let's compare the 2000 Corolla and 4Runner.

• You can hardly ever see a 2000 Corolla, but 4Runners are everywhere. Why have Corollas disappeared if they are so reliable?
  • The paint on Corollas is almost always awful, while the paint on 4Runners is almost always in very good condition
  • The 1ZZ-FE engine in the 2000 Corolla usually consumes a lot of oil after 100,000 miles.

The newer engines and transmissions in the newest Corollas sacrifice reliability in favor of economy. Reliability stopped after the 7A-FE engine.

Originally Posted by Vincenze

• You can hardly ever see a 2000 Corolla, but 4Runners are everywhere. Why have Corollas disappeared if they are so reliable?
  • The paint on Corollas is almost always awful, while the paint on 4Runners is almost always in very good condition
  • The 1ZZ-FE engine in the 2000 Corolla usually consumes a lot of oil after 100,000 miles.

The newer engines and transmissions in the newest Corollas sacrifice reliability in favor of economy. Reliability stopped after the 7A-FE engine.

That would be construed by most here as personal opinion.

One difference to note; the 4Runner is assembled in Japan. The Corolla has multiple assembly locations. For the US that is Ontario Canada if I'm not mistaken.

They also cranked out a ton of Corollas at NUMMI, in Fremont, CA; something like 1 every 8 minutes.
The plant used to be GM, made El Caminos and our '65 4-4-2 for example.
Then reopend as NUMMI, which was GM and Toyota. Made Corollas, GEO, Prizm, PU trucks. My 1993 Toyota 4WD PU was made there and is still in service, 350K miles.
Now it is Teslas' home, where our Model 3 was made.

Originally Posted by Vincenze

Reliability and durability are two different things. Corollas are quite reliable but will rot away in the salt belt about the same as other makes, or will have other mechanical problems that will not make sense fixing, so off they go to the scrap yard.

In the salt belt, you hardly see anything over 15 years old on the roads, even the "legendary" 4runners, unless someone doesn't drive in winter. But then who would buy a corolla or a 4runner and only drive it in summer? They are just economy cars after all with nothing special going on for them.

Originally Posted by JeffKeryk
They also cranked out a ton of Corollas at NUMMI, in Fremont, CA; something like 1 every 8 minutes.
The plant used to be GM, made El Caminos and our '65 4-4-2 for example.
Then reopend as NUMMI, which was GM and Toyota. Made Corollas, GEO, Prizm, PU trucks. My 1993 Toyota 4WD PU was made there and is still in service, 350K miles.
Now it is Teslas' home, where our Model 3 was made.

My 1996 Tacoma was assembled there. It was a fine truck. Probably still running somewhere.

Years later I heard of the stories of rampant alcohol and drug usage. Not too long after that Toyota pulled out.

My daughter drives a 1995 Geo Prizm 1.8 (NUMMI) Auto with 230k miles on it. I bought it used 11 years ago with 84k miles for $1900. Just replaced the factory timing belt and oil pan gasket. It'll consume a quart of oil every 1500 miles. Runs and shifts perfect. The factory A/C has never been apart, blows cold and is used year round here in south Florida. Wish I had another one for my other daughter who just got her license. FWIW

Originally Posted by Char Baby
Originally Posted by dishdude
Originally Posted by mazdamonky

Final conclusion on the Corolla:

It's a car.

Sounds like the most positive thing that can be said about a Toyota.

That's a Corolla all right!

This has been the mission of the Corolla since the beginning. It's a car! And it'll run a long time. Toyota seems to make the Corolla feel really cheap and hides the best parts about the car that you can't see or feel in normal daily driving such as its long term reliability.

They've never been anything special to drive. Not only have I owned them, I've had tons of them as rental cars.

I can understand why someone would buy it. It is cheap, reliable, outdated proven technology.
But if they feel really cheap, why would you rent it?
That one isn’t really cheap though

You can't deny these cars will last many hundreds of thousands of miles, regardless of what other shortcomings it may have. Cheaply built? Not where it counts...I have one with over 400K miles and everything still works...I will say the new Corollas are leaps and bounds better looking than the new Civics...that has got to be one of the ugliest, if not THE ugliest new cars made...I agree with the previous poster who said Mazdas look and seem to be built better than the Corolla, or they at least use nicer materials on their interiors, and overall vehicle fit and finish seems better on the Mazdas...

Back