wich semi-blend oil is best?

Status
Not open for further replies.
does anybody have any opinions on wich semi-blended oil is the best one out there right know (sm)pennzoil truck and suv,mobil 7500,castrol syntecblend,valvoline durablend,trop artic semi-blend,and havoline semiblend?i know that trop artic goes for 1.00 and probably valvo is the highest at 2.99

Been using 5w20 motorcraft syntecblend and 5w3o castrol syntecblend and both hold up well in super humid fla.OCI at 3500 to 4k due to terrible traffic and high heat all the time.I use it in a 4.6 crown vick with 101k.

Hi,

I've used the Castrol Syntec Blend twice, once mixed 50/50 with full Syntec and the UOAs came back excellent. In fact, the Blend alone did as good as the higher syn blend at 1/3 the cost.

I think the folks who blend their own are not getting anything for their trouble and cost.

Castrol Blend is only 5 quarts for $10.30 at wal-mart. Excellent oil for 5-7.k oci IMO...

Cheers, Bill
biggthumbcoffe.gif

So far all of them seem to give good UOA's with a reasonable OCI. Motorcraft is developing a heavy following here as far as bang for the buck.

I have recently discovered that by buying a "blended" oil, you do not know how much synthetic is in the blend vs. how much dino oil, as there is no standard regualating this.

It is thus recommended to make your own blend by using dino oil and throwing in a quart of fully synthetic such as Mobil 1.

At least you know how much synthetic you are getting in your belend, and its not a guessing game.

Isn't mobil 7500 a Grp III oil plus a bit of Grp IV or V and even the Mobil 5000 is mostly Grp III? Which by most other companies' definition are full synthetic.

quote:

Originally posted by HolesInTheHead:
Isn't mobil 7500 a Grp III oil plus a bit of Grp IV or V and even the Mobil 5000 is mostly Grp III? Which by most other companies' definition are full synthetic.

That's my vote!

quote:

Originally posted by SE05:
It is thus recommended to make your own blend by using dino oil and throwing in a quart of fully synthetic...

By whom? You?

And your qualifications in the lubrication industry are what?

Not trying to be rude or anything, but I find your recommendation akin to an old wive's tale.

quote:

Originally posted by Audi Junkie:
DuraBlend SL 10w-40 carried A3 rating.

Yes and I bought 30 quarts. Sadly I do not see the A3 on the SM Durablend 10w40. There is still some SL out there though. Not too late to stock up.

quote:

Originally posted by AstroVic:

quote:

It is thus recommended to make your own blend by using dino oil and throwing in a quart of fully synthetic...

By whom? You?

And your qualifications in the lubrication industry are what?

Not trying to be rude or anything, but I find your recommendation akin to an old wive's tale.

This was recommended by one of those guys that writes a nationally syndicated newspaper column on automotive mechanical questions that are sent in by readers. He has over 25 years experience as a mechanic/journalist.

Besides, its only common sense. If i put in the fully synthetic and the dino, I know how much of eachj im getting. If you buy "blended" you dont know what % you are getting of the types of oil. Not trying to be rude or anything, but this isnt rocket science.

I agree ... blend your own & hopefully someday force these oil manufacturers to either stop selling it due to lack of interest or admit how much synthetic is in each quart.

Tough to beat the TropArtic at $1 a quart IMO. I also blend my own because of the stash I have and the 5-6k runs on the oil, usually 50/50.

quote:

This was recommended by one of those guys that writes a nationally syndicated newspaper column on automotive mechanical questions that are sent in by readers. He has over 25 years experience as a mechanic/journalist.

Please post a link to your source's reports. I'm sure everyone on this board would be interested in reading what this nationally syndicated expert has to say.

quote:

Besides, its only common sense.
...this isnt rocket science.
You're a fairly simple guy, I can see that. And while I appreciate the fact that you share my concern for the unregulated amount of synthetic in blends, I disagree with the fact that you've come here and flat-out said that blends are worthless. That is ignorant.

Are your home-brew blends any good? Maybe, maybe not.

Are some synthetic blends any good? Yes, many of them are very good.

Do some suck? Yes, some of them suck.

This is why we have BITOG.

quote:

Originally posted by AstroVic:

quote:

Please post a link to your source's reports. I'm sure everyone on this board would be interested in reading what this nationally syndicated expert has to say.

quote:

Besides, its only common sense.
...this isnt rocket science.
You're a fairly simple guy, I can see that. And while I appreciate the fact that you share my concern for the unregulated amount of synthetic in blends, I disagree with the fact that you've come here and flat-out said that blends are worthless. That is ignorant.

Are your home-brew blends any good? Maybe, maybe not.

Are some synthetic blends any good? Yes, many of them are very good.

Do some suck? Yes, some of them suck.

This is why we have BITOG.

You are ignorant. No where did I say blends are worthless, flat out or otherwise. Learn to read before you start jumping on people for no reason.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back