Why would interior lights go hot? Any ideas?

Status
Not open for further replies.
As far as I remember dome light wouldn't go that hot. I replaced the 24 year old original bulb, the glass was dark. But still the bulb goes very hot in seconds so that you can't even touch it. If I wouldn't have removed the lens a year ago it would be burned by now. Any ideas for a root cause? Where and what to look for?

That's what I'm considering, those 5-watt parking lamps with bent wire bases or some timer for doors left open too long.

The thing is that all seems to went down the hill in the last three or so years. Lens became brtille too though looks o.k. I first thought some short circuit but it is the bulb which gets hot. Still, may be if the bulbs are old they tend to get even hotter
dunno.gif

Will never forget wearing rounded indentions in thumb and forefinger for several days after first encounter with these bulbs. Turn/taillight bulbs get hot enough to be uncomfortable, dome bulbs will DAMAGE you.

Bob

Maybe check danielsternlighting.com. that site has a whole conversion chart. Also check companies like bulbtronics for an LED.

hmm. never thought the LED option before. Daniel Stern Lighting has some nice write ups to enjoy on psychophysics regarding headlight standards, I bookmarked it, just guess it is too much for my handyman job. Many thanks for every'ones ideas.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back