Why Use Hyundai OEM Oil Filters ?

Had a 2013 Sonata 2.4L with a fuel pump that hummed. Replaced under warranty.
Changed the bulbs on the headlights to brighter bulb, and found one of the mounting posts on the high beam to be missing part of the mount, a tiny piece that was not molded correctly. Could not get the spring clamp back on. They changed the headlight under warranty.
High pressure fuel pump went on it, changed under warranty. They supplied a loaner while it was being repaired.
No complaints on my warranty coverage.

I get one full second of "start up rattle" on my '13 (2.4 GDI) no matter what filter I use.

I never get any other rattle noises other than the 1 second at start up. The HPFP is rather noisy, though.

OEM Hyundai filters are high quality and readily available at WM, so I don't see a reason not to run them. And this is coming from a guy who uses Fram Ultra and other extended drain filters on his cars.

And regarding warranty repairs - My Elantra had a bad ignition coil taken care of under warranty in 90 min. Some dealers suck more than others but this single experience I had was a positive one.

Car under warranty? I'll give you 758 million reasons why you should use OEM filters. And I'll raise you 4 bodies, 3000 fires, class action lawsuit, federal judge, and 1.5 years of litigation. Out of warranty? Do want you want.

Originally Posted by MParr
Get ready folks. I have learned from a Hyundai certified master tech that new warranty guidelines are coming. Hyundai will offer free oil changes for the entire new car warranty period. They are doing this in order to reduce replacement of blown engines.

This would not surprise me for a second, oil changes can be an incredibly cheap cost service to perform for a dealership service department and getting customers back in the dealership puts the dealership at an advantage to sell more products and services to the customers.

My opinion is the problem with Hyundai/Kia is bad metallurgy choice, and going 100% all into "The Korean Way" = "Put your head in the sand, and keep plugging along, all while doing nothing to change or find the problem".

The worst of all engines is the 2.0 and 2.4, The Theta 2. . Another model engine was the "Nu", the 1.8 and 2.0 liter motor that had this issue of destroying itself too. The 1.6 and 1.6T Gamma motor is one of their better motors. A 10 year Hyundai mechanic said "If you don't see a side of a piston skirt in the oil pan by 6,000 miles, you wont have a problem with the 1.6 and 1,6T motor." (with the exception of weak connecting rods in the 2013/14 Veloster Turbo that has been over/badly tuned...BOOM!).

The Global Engine Alliance was a joint venture between Chrysler, Mitsubishi Motors, and the Hyundai Motor Company for developing a line of shared 4-cylinder engines. The initial design of the engine block and cylinder head was handled by Hyundai. However, each manufacturer configured their variants of the initial design differently based on their needs. In 2009, Chrysler bought out Mitsubishi and Hyundai's stake in the joint-venture; however, each company retained rights to build the engines.

It was said by Hyundai, that they had an issue with leaving crankshaft machining metal scraps in the oil passageways for 2-3 years on the 2.0 and 2.4 liter motors. Well how does this correlate into 9 years of what appears to be bad piston metallurgy and bad crank and rod bearing metallurgy choice. Chrysler and Mitsubishi used their choice of piston, crank, and bearing metallurgy, along with their choice of oil pump design AFTER the disbandment of the engine alliance in 2009. After 10 + years of Hyundai/Kia beating it's head against the wall, and nothing changed with their horrendous choice of metallurgy, all coming from a world wide behemoth of a metals company. "The Irony". These 10+ years I have not heard of the other manufactures engines destroying themselves like Hyundai's have.

It has been said 14% to 16% of all Hyundai/Kia motors will destroy themselves, sometimes as many as three times in one car. Many with Hyundai OEM oil filters on them, since many privater shops will use Hyundai OEM filters to protect themselves. I don't think it is the filter. Too many live a long life with every different filter known to man.

My wife had a 2013 Elantra GT 1.8 where at 14,000 miles, and a life of 3,000 miles oil changes ( short tripper 3 miles to work) of SuperTech full synthetic and Mobil . The motor destroyed itself with scuffed and brutally galled piston skirts where the metal went into the lifters from oil filter bypass startups and took the lifters out and gave it the CLASSIC "Hyundai Tick of Death".

One of the key problems a Hyundai/Kia CAN be born with.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Galling

I now use the Fram Titanium filter because I question if the tiny holes in the Fram TG/XG that COULD create foam vs the larger easy flowing holes in the base plate of the new Titanium. Again just a hunch that I am going to go with as a Hail Mary opinion of hope. Ha Ha.

My hypothesis is, it is not the filter or the machining chips, I think it is metallurgy engine part choice. That's from my research into the matter, just my opinion.

The Hyundai Elantra has been about average in long-term reliability starting in 2013.

http://dashboard-light.com/vehicles/Hyundai_Elantra.html

The engine issues in the Sonata have already been well documented. We saw a spike in blown engines over five years ago. The fact that Hyundai has greed to replace some of these engines has helped improve the overall reliability but it's still below average.

http://dashboard-light.com/vehicles/Hyundai_Elantra.html

I buy vehicles for several rideshare companies across the USA. My favorite vehicles to buy for the price are the Kia Forte, Hyundai Elantra, and Kia Soul. If you get the multi-port fuel injected engine (no direct injection) along with a conventional automatic, you should be able to drive it for well over a decade without any major issues.

If it has a turbocharger or a CVT I don't buy it. I never buy Sonatas or Optimas. The Fusion with the 2.5 Liter beats them both.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Mainia
My opinion is the problem with Hyundai/Kia is bad metallurgy choice, and going 100% all into "The Korean Way" = "Put your head in the sand, and keep plugging along, all while doing nothing to change or find the problem".

The worst of all engines is the 2.0 and 2.4, The Theta 2. . Another model engine was the "Nu", the 1.8 and 2.0 liter motor that had this issue of destroying itself too. The 1.6 and 1.6T Gamma motor is one of their better motors. A 10 year Hyundai mechanic said "If you don't see a side of a piston skirt in the oil pan by 6,000 miles, you wont have a problem with the 1.6 and 1,6T motor." (with the exception of weak connecting rods in the 2013/14 Veloster Turbo that has been over/badly tuned...BOOM!).

The Global Engine Alliance was a joint venture between Chrysler, Mitsubishi Motors, and the Hyundai Motor Company for developing a line of shared 4-cylinder engines. The initial design of the engine block and cylinder head was handled by Hyundai. However, each manufacturer configured their variants of the initial design differently based on their needs. In 2009, Chrysler bought out Mitsubishi and Hyundai's stake in the joint-venture; however, each company retained rights to build the engines.

It was said by Hyundai, that they had an issue with leaving crankshaft machining metal scraps in the oil passageways for 2-3 years on the 2.0 and 2.4 liter motors. Well how does this correlate into 9 years of what appears to be bad piston metallurgy and bad crank and rod bearing metallurgy choice. Chrysler and Mitsubishi used their choice of piston, crank, and bearing metallurgy, along with their choice of oil pump design AFTER the disbandment of the engine alliance in 2009. After 10 + years of Hyundai/Kia beating it's head against the wall, and nothing changed with their horrendous choice of metallurgy, all coming from a world wide behemoth of a metals company. "The Irony". These 10+ years I have not heard of the other manufactures engines destroying themselves like Hyundai's have.

It has been said 14% to 16% of all Hyundai/Kia motors will destroy themselves, sometimes as many as three times in one car. Many with Hyundai OEM oil filters on them, since many privater shops will use Hyundai OEM filters to protect themselves. I don't think it is the filter. Too many live a long life with every different filter known to man.

My wife had a 2013 Elantra GT 1.8 where at 14,000 miles, and a life of 3,000 miles oil changes ( short tripper 3 miles to work) of SuperTech full synthetic and Mobil . The motor destroyed itself with scuffed and brutally galled piston skirts where the metal went into the lifters from oil filter bypass startups and took the lifters out and gave it the CLASSIC "Hyundai Tick of Death".

I now use the Fram Titanium filter because I question if the tiny holes in the Fram TG/XG that COULD create foam vs the larger easy flowing holes in the base plate of the new Titanium. Again just a hunch that I am going to go with as a Hail Mary opinion of hope. Ha Ha.

My hypothesis is, it is not the filter or the machining chips, I think it is metallurgy engine part choice. That's from my research into the matter, just my opinion.

I 100% agree with you on using the Fram Titanium and while we may be in the minority it makes sense to me.

FWIW I don't trust Hyundai's engineering expertise especially when it comes to things that they can save a dime on in the production line or in the parts department like with their OEM oil filter (I would say the same about Subaru's OEM oil filter as well).

Originally Posted by Ignatius
Originally Posted by Mainia

I 100% agree with you on using the Fram Titanium and while we may be in the minority it makes sense to me.

FWIW I don't trust Hyundai's engineering expertise especially when it comes to things that they can save a dime on in the production line or in the parts department like with their OEM oil filter (I would say the same about Subaru's OEM oil filter as well).

*Interesting comments regarding the new FRAM Titanium oil filter (i.e. larger holes) ... I'll have to research .

I have read some articles, that on the 2013 elantras, the coated piston skirt degrades and wears the cylinder, opens up the piston to bore clearance, as well as the material getting into the lifters.

85k on mine. No problems. I have run 5w30 and ultra filters most of its life.

So many people seem to get Hyundia's or Kia's due to lower prices. I don't think it's worth it when the fundamentals are not well built.

When we went to the auto show a couple years ago, the seating and other ergonomics for the Korean vehicles were not comfortable to us, either. Making a value decision is what I strive for - not solely based on price or on benefits.

Originally Posted by LubricatusObsess
So many people seem to get Hyundia's or Kia's due to lower prices. I don't think it's worth it when the fundamentals are not well built.

When we went to the auto show a couple years ago, the seating and other ergonomics for the Korean vehicles were not comfortable to us, either. Making a value decision is what I strive for - not solely based on price or on benefits.

So you've made your conclusions about all Korean cars based on an auto show experience?
Following this logic, I've found this thread and concluded all Dodges are not worth it https://www.ramforum.com/threads/2019-ram-1500-laramie-with-issues-from-the-start-long-read.121215/

Last edited:
Originally Posted by SlavaB

So you've made your conclusions about all Korean cars based on an auto show experience?

Did I say all of them? Read my note, please.

Originally Posted by SlavaB

Did I say all of them? Read my note, please.

You kinda did. Jumping to some conclusions about cheapness, bad fundamentals and ergonomics, and you've never owned one. As I just updated my answer above, I can conclude RAMs are pretty bad too based on the story here https://www.ramforum.com/threads/2019-ram-1500-laramie-with-issues-from-the-start-long-read.121215/

How is my personal experience, along with the experiences of those here with engine issues, "jumping to a conclusion"? How can you tell me that my personal discomfort is not valid? That's very presumptious.

Your opinion is vastly different from most. But you, of course are entitled to it.
Since we're sharing personal experiences, our current Santa Fe Sport Turbo has over 200K miles and is the most trouble free vehicle either of us (wife) have owned. Before this, i've owned one Kia and Three Hyundai. Only one had slight ping, but that was cured with a set of plugs and new battery at 70K miles or so. Again, vastly different.
wink.gif

Capture.PNG

Last edited:
The chart means my 'opinion' differs? Then why the complaints here from those who bought and complain? False equivalence.

How is my personal experience, along with the experiences of those here with engine issues, "jumping to a conclusion"? How can you tell me that my personal discomfort is not valid? That's very presumptious.

Yeah your personal experience on an auto show doesn't count really. As for "all others", well you don't have a nice data sample, do you? When you'll get it lemme know

What's with the personal hostility, dude? I thought this site was for sharing info, opinions, and learning stuff? You tell everyone their experiences are irrelevant? Where's the Moderators?

What's with the personal hostility, dude? I thought this site was for sharing info, opinions, and learning stuff? You tell everyone their experiences are irrelevant? Where's the Moderators?

Lol hostility? Please don't call cops on me. Sorry I didn't know you can't handle facts

Back