Why the name "Germal Castrol"? Just curious..

Status
Not open for further replies.
quote:

Originally posted by rekced:
Okay I'm still unclear of why this stuff is so popular. So I now know that the viscocity improvers are a lubricant themselves. Correct?
I find this strange because I've seen some people on this forum refer to 5W/40 Castrol Syntec sold at VW dealerships as "GC".

I'm not doubting anyone about the quality of this oil, just wondering if it's worth the extra time and money to find. I feel kind of left out with all the excitement.

The answer to your question is both tangible and intangible: tangible--it gives consistently superb UOAs,; it quiets some engines noticeably; it improves gas mileage in others; it is literally a leading-edge high-tech lubricant; intangible: the mystique--it is made in Germany; it is a glorious green in the light; to some it smells like Gummi bears...oh yes, and it is made by Elves in the Black Forest...given all this, what's not to be crazy about?
grin.gif

Why was the GC imported in the first place? I mean, the rest of the Syntec line was selling well enough and Castrol did not advertise about the GC at all, right?

quote:

Originally posted by HolesInTheHead:
Why was the GC imported in the first place? I mean, the rest of the Syntec line was selling well enough and Castrol did not advertise about the GC at all, right?

Great question! My guess it's a supply issue where they used the Euro formula to keep the shelves stocked. Just a guess though. OTOH, I went to an AZ recently and they had ONLY batch M02!!
nono.gif

Most likely for use in some of the European cars (VW, Mercedes & BMW spring to mind) that have tougher oil standards versus most U.S. cars.

GC covers many of these Euro requirements as seen on this image of the rear label:
 -

I do not believe the older "Made in the US "Syntec 0w-30 met these requirements.

Seriously guys...there's places to find help out there. When you start talking to your GC, and taking it to bed with you, and getting up in the middle of the night, to check the stash...Well, it's time to get out more...

quote:

Originally posted by ULVER:
Seriously guys...there's places to find help out there.

Um-m-m-m...help.....for what?

Look....out on the horizon...1000s of smiling, happy, dancing GC bottles....don't you see them?....it's like...so
cool.gif

quote:

Originally posted by 97tbird:

quote:

Originally posted by wavinwayne:

-
Your comment causes us much sadness.
while patting the elf on the head :
" hey, I wasn't the one who called the gc "germal" "
smile.gif
[/QB]

boyz...boyz...what's all the furor?
grin.gif
The Elves think you two are funny...the Bad Boy of Buies Creek vs the Antagonist of Alabama...hey, Gerhard, bring the popcorn...let's watch THIS!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back