Why switch to a high mileage oil ?

Cuz it…

D74CC836-9373-4170-91A4-769FDCC39199.jpg

Which manufacturer publishes those numbers ?

Z
It's been the industry standard for years. They design for 150,000 mi service life. I think that's the B10 Life (90% without major repair). Obviously sometimes they fail. Like Honda with the 98-2002 B7XA Automatics. Cars with them definitely exceeded a 10% failure rate. Given the complexity of the job parts have to be overengineered to avoid all the compounding of the odds catching up with you early. Some cars get lucky and survive ridiculous mileage and some don't. This explains though why lubed for lifetime sealed trans and non-serviceable drivelines (integrated ujoints) have become a thing.

It's been the industry standard for years. They design for 150,000 mi service life. I think that's the B10 Life (90% without major repair). Obviously sometimes they fail. Like Honda with the 98-2002 B7XA Automatics. Cars with them definitely exceeded a 10% failure rate. Given the complexity of the job parts have to be overengineered to avoid all the compounding of the odds catching up with you early. Some cars get lucky and survive ridiculous mileage and some don't. This explains though why lubed for lifetime sealed trans and non-serviceable drivelines (integrated ujoints) have become a thing.
Is that so…?

1644553257010.jpeg

I'm sure glad no one told me or any of my cars that.
Yes we routinely have cars last beyond their designed lifespan. I'm just saying they didn't pick 75,000 out of the ether. It's half the B10 (90% of vehicles without a major repair). Now the new 150,000 HM we can argue about whether they simply doubled the regular HM or based it on being on "borrowed time".

75,000 is not really an arbitrary number.
They chose the midpoint of the design life.
Design life of an automobile is 150,000 mi.
No they didn't. Valvoline invented "high mileage" motor oil and they had an internal marketing debate on whether they should label "high mileage" on the bottle as 50,000 miles, or 100,000 miles. They compromised in the middle at 75,000. That mileage figure is 100% arbitrary marketing jargon.

Pennzoil doesn't think you should. This guy's podcast series is on Pennzoil.com so it would seem to be corporate policy.

I gave this podcast a chance a long time ago, listened to a few episodes, but man, I wish it was more technical/insightful instead of, "the difference between Platinum and Ultra Platinum is that with Ultra you get the most performance".

Are there any podcasts that are a bit more BITOG level of conversation about any of this stuff? Heck, maybe somebody here should start one. I'd love to hear a podcast on the different types of greases, discussion of industry news and developments, new product releases, etc.

Back