Why so expensive?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been using K&N air filters for the past 15 years and actually forgot how often I used to replaced papers filters when I did use them. How often are you supposed to replaced paper air filters? Why does the Napa Gold cost so much and what's different about the Napa Silver which costs about 1/3 the price?

Yikes! The Napa Gold for my application (V6 Taurus SHO) is the same price as the silver for your car. I don't know how often you'd want to replace your air filters..but 3,000 miles for me would be insane. The purolator I had in before my Napa Gold still looked new after 10,000 miles.

Edit:
The Napa Gold filter is made by Wix and is a high qualtiy unit..lots of pleats & paper. I'm not sure who makes the Silver..but probably flows less & will clog faster.

[ May 17, 2003, 04:05 PM: Message edited by: Virtuoso ]

quote:

Originally posted by jeepzj:
I've been using K&N air filters for the past 15 years and actually forgot how often I used to replaced papers filters when I did use them. How often are you supposed to replaced paper air filters?

Most people replace them far too often, since a dirty filter will trap more dirt. I just changed the air filter on my 95 Firebird at 83k and I believe it was still the original one! It was very dirty, but oil analysis showed it stopped dirt well, and I put the new filter on at the dragstrip and my trap speed only went up by 0.2mph, so that dirty filter was only holding me back by about 1 or 2hp at the most.

[ May 17, 2003, 08:19 PM: Message edited by: Patman ]

Wow! Napa Gold air filter for my 1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo I6 for $21.99? That's pretty steap for a throw away filter every 3000 miles. The Napa Silver is $8.99. What's the difference between Gold and Silver? Maybe I should stick to my K&N or Amsoil.

Thanks.

[ May 18, 2003, 08:20 PM: Message edited by: BOBISTHEOILGUY ]

some people do change the air filter too often, but even though the filter is clean it still may be very dirty. i change my air filter every 9k-12k no matter what.

yea i saw the napa gold air filter for my car and they want 17 bucks for it. baldwin is charging me almost the same price and i heard that baldwin is near napa gold, actually a little higher.

amsoil i havent heard too many good things from, k & n as well. but that was according to some uoa analysis.

I think I'll go with the STP air filter. I hear it's good quality and it's $13.99 for my Jeep at Autozone.

[ May 18, 2003, 08:19 PM: Message edited by: BOBISTHEOILGUY ]

Any chance you have any carquest autoparts stores around you? If so, check out the Premium line of air filters - they are the same as the Napa Gpld / Wix, and may have a better price (they did around here anyways - 10.99 for my filter on the '88 XJ - with the 4.0l - don't know if they still use the same filters or not!

I agree. My BMW specs. air filter changes at about 36-40k mi....about 4 oil changes or when replacing the plugs....(more if living in dusty environments). But BMW filters ARE much better than OTC FRAMS...but nevertheless, I agree...don't change them at 3k!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back