Why are BMW, Mercedes Benz and Audi so expensive to fix?

Good question.

I came by some tin hat conspiracy that their main revenue stream are intentionally low quality & massively price jacked parts.

Well, it was about BMW anyways....

I believe it is done, (the labor/parts pricing) to enhance prestige & exclusivity.
same way BMW had to revise the value on their lease returns many moons ago, ate 1/2 billion $USD in tax write-off minimum.
Appearances.

Are other luxury brands cheaper to fix?
Not really, I think some brand names have just grown to be expensive mainly from the brand name. Example, I've fix some things on an Infinity G35, which uses a lot of the same parts as a Nissan Altima or Maxima. I called both Infinity and Nissan dealers to price the same part (even has the same P/N), and every part was twice or more expensive than the same Nissan part. Guess they are charging another 100% for the part package or box to say "Infinity" on it.

How come BMW, Mercedes Benz and Audi are so expensive to fix?
Foreign parts, luxury marketing, a little more complex to work on because they're usually heavily optioned and have a lot more tech (inside and outside the engine bay), less tolerant of lesser quality parts.

Comparatively low sales volumes increases cost per part. For example Toyota sells about 400k Corollas in the US every year. This is more than that BMW as a whole sells in the US.

Last edited:
Expensive to fix how, at the dealer? Yourself? Independent?

Every imported brand has its importer/ distributor, that sets the terms. BMW's importer for example won't bring in many wagon / hatchback styles as it leads Americans to think of them as a cheap/ economy brand. They also set the terms for what it takes to be a dealer, and how much (little) competition each dealer gets. It works because BMW has some of the highest brand equity, behind maybe only Harley-Davidson. Brand Equity is how much more one would pay for that logo vs a generic product with the same specs.

My Mercedes w123 wasn't too much more expensive. Got a set of 185/75r14 tires for $99. Brakes were as cheap as a Chevy. The oil filter was $6 but it's a highly engineered contraption.

They're not as good as Toyota, so they break down all the time and use expensive parts that are difficult to replace :sneaky:

German engineering can't compete with real engineering :p

Lexus and Acura :)
I have a different take on the matter. German engineering, for the most part, is top notch. The issue is the quality of the parts. For instance, early (MY 1999/2000) BMW 3 series (chassis: E46) suffered from front lower control arm bushing that weren't quite up to the job. BMW re-engineered these bushing so that replacements were beefier. Same for the early E46s' water pumps. Btw, I've owned/maintained/repaired/mod'd bimmers since 1974. I've driven many other brands, primarily when traveling. Nothing compares to the driving experience of a bimmer.

The reason they are so expensive to repair is because you have basically two choices. Either bring it to the dealership who knows how to repair BMW, Mercedes, or Audi or bring it to your local all around mechanic who can fix any type of car. The all around mechanic doesn't know as much about the car as the dealership that specializes in that particular vehicle. It's a learning process sometimes for the all around mechanic shop and they know the dealerships bill out high prices for repairs. The local mechanic may have to spend and time on the internet to fix the vehicle hence the dealership knows exactly what to do and save lots of steps. Almost any mechanic can fix a Civic or Corolla but not necessarily a BMW or high end limited edition foreign car. The same problem usually occurs on vehicles and the dealership mechanics know exactly what to do without having to research problems.

I thought they were expensive because of Tariffs on European goods.... but much of what we think is European is made here. So they are a US made vehicle with a EU brand name.....

Not really, I think some brand names have just grown to be expensive mainly from the brand name. Example, I've fix some things on an Infinity G35, which uses a lot of the same parts as a Nissan Altima or Maxima. I called both Infinity and Nissan dealers to price the same part (even has the same P/N), and every part was twice or more expensive than the same Nissan part. Guess they are charging another 100% for the part package or box to say "Infinity" on it.

My experience mirrors ZeeOSix's. I learned quickly about Infiniti vs. Nissan pricing differences not long after buying my Infiniti G35 Coupe. The only explanation was pure greed on Infiniti's part.

Regarding the OP's question regarding Mercedes, BMW and Audi I suspect parts and service costs are again a simple case of "the owners are fairly well off and can afford it". I don't know the exact figures but I suspect a large percentage of those luxury brands are leased and the owners get rid of them before they see any out of pocket maintenance expenses. Woe to those who buy those cars used or keep them beyond covered warranty periods and need to buy parts for DIY jobs or take them in to dealers for work.

They're not as good as Toyota, so they break down all the time and use expensive parts that are difficult to replace :sneaky:

German engineering can't compete with real engineering :p

Lexus and Acura :)
Not at all, a lot of the problems with Euro car in general is people working on them that shouldn't be and using cheap aftermarket parts.
Use quality parts and do the job right they are quite dependable. Toyota is more common so mechanics are more familiar with them that's all, it is not better.
Acura dash, looks like a high quality piece to me and not cheap.

acura dash.jpg

Back