Why only deep cycle marine batteries at Walmart

Picked up this battery at Walmart. It was first battery on shelf with a 10/22 date. And made by East Penn.

But it's a deep cycle. I actually need both a deep cycle and starting battery for my boat.

But Walmart does not list any EverStart group 27 starting battery. Only deep cycle. Deep cycle is good for a boat house battery or a trolling battery. But either way the boat will also need a starting battery or maybe a dual purpose.

Attachments

• PXL_20221009_213937900.MP.jpg
    PXL_20221009_213937900.MP.jpg
    129.1 KB · Views: 44
Those aren't really true deep cycle batteries. Just starting batteries with heaver plates to withstand a bit more abuse. The key is that 800 MCA on the label. It stands for Marine Cranking Amps.

But they certainly sell marine starting batteries at NAPA and West Marine and similar stores.

I thought dual purpose and starting batteries were similar but deep cycle were different.

800 MCA = 616 CCA. Marginal to start a V8 gas engine.

The Walmart batteries are dual purpose even though they dont say it on the label. They are more resistant to deep discharge and still provide reasonable cranking current. All the Marine duels are this way. If you need more CCA then you need a dedicated starting battery and a separate true deep cycle but many small boats dont have room for 2. If you have a big V8 inboard that wont be a problem and Mercury specs a big dedicated starting battery for their 350hp and up motors now.

Was the battery section stocked? Last a couple of times I have been at a walmart, the pickins been slim.

The Walmart batteries are dual purpose even though they dont say it on the label. They are more resistant to deep discharge and still provide reasonable cranking current. All the Marine duels are this way. If you need more CCA then you need a dedicated starting battery and a separate true deep cycle but many small boats dont have room for 2. If you have a big V8 inboard that wont be a problem and Mercury specs a big dedicated starting battery for their 350hp and up motors now.
I have 3 batteries. Starting, house and bow thruster.

Was the battery section stocked? Last a couple of times I have been at a walmart, the pickins been slim.
It was reasonable with respect to stocking of batteries. It's Walmart AGM that are really spotty. I managed managed to get two for my PSD but had to go to two different Walmarts.

I look online before I go to store. The more the store has the better the chance of finding a fresh battery.

Fox body Ford Mustang specified a Group 58 battery, with a 5.0L V8, and most of those batteries are in the 550 CCA range.

And that's sufficient to start one in sub-zero temperatures.
Yea i dont know what the hubub is with higher CCA/CA for vehicles. Some 4 cylinders can start with as low as 225 AMP batteries as OE, but almost all replacement units start at 500A bare miniuum

Yea i dont know what the hubub is with higher CCA/CA for vehicles. Some 4 cylinders can start with as low as 225 AMP batteries as OE, but almost all replacement units start at 500A bare miniuum
Here's the hubub. The greater the battery capacity, for it's spec'd use; The lower the percentage of battery discharge ; The lower the percentage of battery discharge; The longer the battery lasts.

Well I guess someone might be trying to start it in upper Minnesota in January with 20W-50 in the crankcase?

Here's the hubub. The greater the battery capacity, for it's spec'd use; The lower the percentage of battery discharge ; The lower the percentage of battery discharge; The longer the battery lasts.

That's not necessarily true, because higher CCA batteries are generally made by adding more surface area to the plates, a process which makes them more fragile and prone to failure.

Don't confuse a CCA rating with an amp hour rating. The only way to increase the amp hour rating is to add more lead to the plates, which makes the battery heavier.

That's not necessarily true, because higher CCA batteries are generally made by adding more surface area to the plates, a process which makes them more fragile and prone to failure.

Don't confuse a CCA rating with an amp hour rating. The only way to increase the amp hour rating is to add more lead to the plates, which makes the battery heavier.
Not confused re marine batteries, I have a Bass boat. I'm speaking, generally, the physically, larger the battery, the longer it will last. The op' s application is marine use, typical marine battery sizes are group 24, 27,29, and group 31. Marine boat battery compartments come in all sizes. The boat owner should choose the largest size, marine battery, that will fit the battery compartment. A group 31 battery is larger, than the others, and will last longer than the smaller batteries. The op needs to get the largest of the above sizes that will fit his battery compartment. I don't think WM carries a group 31 size. Also, AGM batteries are preferable in boats, as they are more vibration resistant than conventional batteries.

Not confused re marine batteries, I have a Bass Boat. Lotsa Marine batteries. I'm speaking, generally, the physically, larger the battery, the longer it will last. The op' s application is marine use, typical marine battery sizes are group 24, 27,29, and group 31. Marine boat battery compartments come in all sizes. The boat owner should choose the largest size, marine battery, that will fit the battery compartment. A group 31 battery is larger, than the others, and will last longer than the smaller batteries. The op needs to get the largest of the above sizes that will fit his battery compartment. I don't think WM carries a group 31 size. Also, AGM batteries are preferable in boats, as they are more vibration resistant than conventional batteries.

Not confused re marine batteries, I have a Bass boat. I'm speaking, generally, the physically, larger the battery, the longer it will last.

It's also true that generally, a battery which weighs more will last longer, because it has more lead in it.

I expect that if someone compares a "deep cycle" group 27 battery with a "marine starting" group 27 battery, the "deep cycle" weighs more.

And the whole thing that started this is the observation that some people put too much weight, no pun intended, into a CCA rating.

... and that's exactly what they are doing, adding more lead, not (necessarily) more fragile if comparing two starter batteries. They do weigh more.

Why the OE battery is a fraction of the capacity of a higher tier aftermarket is simply that the OEM saved a few dollars putting a low tier battery in.

It's also true that generally, a battery which weighs more will last longer, because it has more lead in it.

I expect that if someone compares a "deep cycle" group 27 battery with a "marine starting" group 27 battery, the "deep cycle" weighs more.

And the whole thing that started this is the observation that some people put too much weight, no pun intended, into a CCA rating.B bigger batteries have both mor
All things being equal, bigger marine batteries will have greater capacities, than smaller batteries, and will last longer. Again, one should get the largest marine battery that will fit the battery compartment.

Back