Why not a silicon ADBV?

Yesterday, I changed oil/filter on my old Ford. I used a Motorcraft FL1A which is still a popular filter model.. I often wondered why there was never a silicon ADBV on these Motorcrafts? The filter is mounted on its side, so oil drain back could be an issue and silicon would be an improvement over the long haul.

I assume filters are made to a specific price point per unit. Silicon ADVB moves the unit cost up.

Yesterday, I changed oil/filter on my old Ford. I used a Motorcraft FL1A which is still a popular filter model.. I often wondered why there was never a silicon ADBV on these Motorcrafts? The filter is mounted on its side, so oil drain back could be an issue and silicon would be an improvement over the long haul.

The Ford engines that the FL1A is specified for are not SOHC or DOHC designs and do not require oil pressure for their timing chain tensioners.

Ford added a silicone ADBV to the FL-820, making it the FL-820S, sometime in the early to mid 90s because of startup noise due to the timing chain tensioners on some engines which use the FL-820. As I recall the Duratec 2.5L V6 was one of these engines. There is a TSB about it that they issued at the time.

Incidentally, the FL-820 was first used with Ford's SOHC 4.6L V8, in 1990 or 1991.

I think you have that backwards... Nitrile gets rigid from heat, stops bending, starts leaking.
He was playing on the fact that:
Silicon is a chemical element with the symbol Si and atomic number 14. It is a hard, brittle crystalline solid with a blue-grey metallic luster, and is a tetravalent metalloid and semiconductor. It is a member of group 14 in the periodic table: carbon is above it; and germanium, tin, lead, and flerovium are below it. It is relatively unreactive.

The Ford engines that the FL1A is specified for are not SOHC or DOHC designs and do not require oil pressure for their timing chain tensioners.

Ford added a silicone ADBV to the FL-820, making it the FL-820S, sometime in the early to mid 90s because of startup noise due to the timing chain tensioners on some engines which use the FL-820. As I recall the Duratec 2.5L V6 was one of these engines. There is a TSB about it that they issued at the time.

Incidentally, the FL-820 was first used with Ford's SOHC 4.6L V8, in 1990 or 1991.
Bravo! The best answer. Make sense. Thank you.

IIRC it was also spec for the 96 Explorer 4.0 SOHC. I had one for 200k+ but that was a long time ago!

Is the filter otherwise designed for "the long haul"? Is it an extended drain filter?

Back