Why Michelin? Thinking about spending a bit more..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tommorrow I put a set of LTX M/S's (at discount tire)on our 2006 eddie baur explorer. A proven tire that is reliable and most of all safe. Long life and excellent wet and snow traction were our criteria. They replace a set of BF goodrich rugged trails with 52k on them.

Well, I am happy with mine I just had mounted. Raining this afternoon I drove through some shallow standing water doing about 50 and was happy with the improved feel and the way the tires cut through the water. They seem to ride smoother and absorb bumps and potholes better than the previous tire. I look forward to many years of service from these tires.

i would certainly consider michelon tyres for my next set of 5 tyres. i think they are great tyres.

I know what it is, I'm questioning the logic behind buying a new spare. It is afterall, a "spare".

...Maybe it was a typo?

Or maybe he used his spare and it got punctured or something?

Why does it matter?

Originally Posted By: Audi Junkie
Maybe he bought 5 when he only needed 4.

holey dooley. storm in a teacup!

yes 5 tyres when I next buy a set,

(a) for rotation
(b) the existing spare seems to have some impact damage on the sidewall due to hitting a pothole. works fine but I would only use it temporarily. don't trust it! keeps the air in fine.

I don't have experience with that particular tire; but we had a set of Michelin Harmony's installed on our Windstar a year ago and I'm very happy with them. The car will get a set of Michelin's when the time comes.

no they are all going to be replaced. front 2 are similar and will wear down first.

rear 2 are not the same make due to hitting a nail. Just got one tyre as it was on the back.

spare is dodgy. so when the time comes all 5 will be replaced. I guess i could use the newest of the back tyres as a spare to save money. and only rotate 4 tyres.

Going back to the speedometer error, I was interested to read about Civics having a speedo error problem. We have the same problem with our '00 Accord V6 Coupe. It reads 5mph fast at 65 (indicating 70). Unlike other manufacturers, there does not appear to be a way the dealer can adjust the error electronically, though I did not investigate an aftermarket solution. I did, however, do a partial fix with a tire size change. We just replaced the OE Michelin 205/60R16 Energy on at 70K (with 4/32 remaining) with 205/65R16 Primacy. Now we are only about 2 mph off.

I was satisfied with the wear out of the Energy. Could have squeezed another 10K maybe if we lived in a warm, dry climate. They had started to get squirrely in the snow at 4/32. Did not like the Energy in the ride or road noise departments. The car is usually not driven in a spirited fashion (wife's car) so "high performance" wasn't a major criteria but we adjudged the handling an braking performance as adequate but not stellar.

The Primacy is a gigantic improvement in road noise and ride improved noticeably (still fooling with pressures, so it might get better yet). The handling and braking improved noticeably as well. The only downside we noticed initially is that the Primacy seem a little "thumpy" starting off on a cold morning. That seems to have stopped... though it's also getting warmer.

I agree with Crinkles: When possible, I buy five for the rotation reason he stated. More necessary when you do a size change. On our Honda, which has a spacesaver, it's not possible. A fullsized spare will not fit in the well... dangit!

Last edited:
Don't get the Pilot model of tire...mine wore out at 25k miles. And that was with regular rotations & proper inflation. Disappointed.

When I had Michelins back in the early 90's on my Honda, I never had any problems.

I don't want to hijack this thread but I too am considering Michelins after my stock POS (Firestone Affinity Touring 02) wear out. From people who have had them what is the difference between the PrimacyMXV4 touring tire and the Harmony standard all season, in terms of road noise (#1) lifespan (#2)& grip (#3)? I mean considring the stockers I have now are a touring tire also and how bad they are will I really notice much if I choose the Harmony or should I stay in the "tire class" the car came with?

I have MXV4 and they have excellent grip, no road noise or vibration, .
I have not had them long enough to comment on lifespan.
All Michelin currently have a $60.00 rebate.

Your choice may depend on size and load rating.
MXV4 is "H" speed rated, Harmony is "T".
The "H" has more structure plies than a "T" and will have a higher load rating for the same size..
Example, 205/55R16 could be 91H or 89T. You need to check if the "T" rated tire meets the load spec for your car.

But more important, MXV4 has the happy Michellin guy on the sidewall !

Originally Posted By: Bobert
I'd go with either Exalto or Primacy . The Exalto being more a bit more sporty with better handling, and Primacy being a bit quieter and more comfortable. Both are virtually the same price, and both are made in the US.

I have the exalto on my BMW and they just seem to get better. I have about 20,000 miles on them. My daughter has the primacy on her A4 and they were great in last year's Wisconson winter.

Originally Posted By: Bobert
I'd go with either. The Exalto being more a bit more sporty with better handling, and Primacy being a bit quieter and more comfortable. Both are virtually the same price, and both are made in the US.

A sligh correction: Our recently purchased set of Primacys were made in Rumania, according to both the paperwork and stamped on the tires.

Bought a set of Exalto`s for my Daughter`s Saturn Ion and we are very pleased with them. Very smooth and quiet on the road with a lot of grip. We will have to wait and see how they wear. Had Kelly`s on the car before. They started out good, but got loud on the highway and not that great with the traction.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back