Why it's so continually awesome to have a machinist as a dad... (and ask questions)

My dad hasn't actually worked as a machinist since I think 1971 or so. But it's been a hobby and when there's been garage space, there's a new drill press, cabinets to hide tools from mom, whatever, etc. This has worked for him as currently, he has a few thousand sq ft shop down the hill out of obvious sight from the house my mom rules. It's got a lot of fun tools, a '32 Dodge of my brother's, a tractor, quad, seven motorcycles she doesnt' seem to know about, a 19' cuddy cabin boat of mine, etc. Anyway, kudos to dad for both mad skills and actively hiding crap from mom.

Last month I got a set of lovely wheels and tires for my step-sons care, off a Ford to fit a Volvo. The inner bore spec turned out to be about 1mm or so off (really close). I didn't know how to fix this and spent a month figuring it out. I mean, I knew HOW to, but how to do it without some serious lathes and machinery... Then I ran across this;

(key point is at 2 minutes):

I showed it to dad and asked what I needed to do/learn/get, he just said, "Oh, I can do that. Few minutes."

I feel like an idiot - you need to ask your friends and family instead of spinning your wheels.

My uncle Jack passed away when I was just a young lad, I would have had so much to learn from him. He had his own printing press repair business he would machine gears from huge squares of brass made mini compressed air steam engine replicas etc the list that he could make. If you needed a bracket, part or special.. tool for doing specific jobs he would be sure to machine it.

Back