Why isn't there a manual transmission standard shift pattern design?

There are many gear patterns for manual transmissions, which seems could cause transmission damage or in a worst case a stall, a crash, etc.
Why has the industry never compromised and come to some gentlemen's agreement on a standardized design? Other items, like seatbelts, have standards. Surely one pattern is a superior design for speed and efficiency and safety? The problem comes if you have several manual cars or have to drive many (like a valet, or car dealer, etc.). You have to then relearn where the gears are.

To me this seems like the most logical design. Reverse pointing backwards (the direction you want to go), and to the left of the low gears so as to not inadvertently go from higher gears into Reverse and blow up the transmission and cause an accident. (I think modern cars lock it out, but it still makes sense.)
I had a VW that had the R off to the side, and required a downward push to then put it in R. You could not inadvertently put it into R without a downward push. I liked that feature a lot.

iu

But you have other designs. Going from 5 to R would be a catastrophe.
iu

This is at least safer, but not as intuitive IMO.

iu

I hope your other car isn't a 6 speed...
iu

What other folks have indicated. I've owned a few manuals that were 5 speed with R down and to the right below 5. You either have to pull up on a ring or really press down on the knob to engage R Unless your transmission is already having issues, you are not going to perform a money shift going from 5 to R at 60 MPH.

My Mazda3 has the 6 speed pattern above that with R up and left of 1.

Occasionally, about 1-2 a year, I get 1 instead of R and go forward a bit. Doesn't happen often, usually during an on-call week while sleep deprived.

but on the other hand, going to 2nd instead of 4th while at redline in 3rd is perfectly possible. and if you don't catch it before letting completely go of the clutch pedal it's a guaranteed money shift.

The way I see it, all the FORWARD gears are standardized. 4 speed, 5 speed, 6 speed. Don't matter Reverse can be anywhere depending on the innards of the gearbox.

3 Speed gearboxes are also standardized with 1st to the left and down, 2nd to the right and up, 3rd right and down . Reverse to left and up . That's what I learned on.
Note that these are only for Syncromesh transmissions Going from one gear to another, you always must past through Neutral.

The seldom used ConstantMesh transmission used mostly on Race Cars sand motorcycles are shifted from gear to gear directly, without going through neutral.

Wait until the OP finds out there were column shift manual transmissions.

Our '63 Galaxy 500 had a "three on the tree."

Oh yeah. I recently rode with someone in an old tree shifter. Holy cheese and rice. It looked extremely complicated. Left me scratching my head, what were they thinking??

Why has the industry never compromised and come to some gentlemen's agreement on a standardized design?

Probably because there are different opinions on what's ideal. Perhaps there are also some technical restrictions.

I had a VW that had the R off to the side, and required a downward push to then put it in R. You could not inadvertently put it into R without a downward push. I liked that feature a lot.

I agree, I prefer it over the BMW/Mini style "push it very hard to the left".

To me this seems like the most logical design. Reverse pointing backwards (the direction you want to go),

iu

This is a good example for "different opinions on what's ideal". I find the simple pattern below
far more logical than the Audi R8 pattern shown above. Perhaps that's just because I'm used to it.

This is at least safer, but not as intuitive IMO.

iu

Do you own all these cars and rotate them daily?

If not, I don't see how this would affect you.

That said, a dogleg 5 speed is the ultimate layout.
It almost sounds like OP has never driven a manual before

False.
Why do people on this forum seem to immediately feel the need to go personal, or take degrading jabs? We cannot have discussions if it doesn't personally affect us? You don't do this forum a service with these little digs and jabs at other members.

As it so happens, half the vehicles I've owned have been manual transmissions. And all different arrangements. It's annoying, and hence my question.

Back