Why isn't Mobil 1 R 0W-30 API rated?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm considering running this oil in place of Mobil 1 0W-40 in my Subaru STi. Service manual calls for a 0W oil this time of year ... but really a 0W-30. I'm not liking everything I am hearing about the M1 0W-30. So, naturally, I'm looking at the M1R 0W-30 (with some prodding by Motorbike).

My question is - Why isn't M1R API rated? I assume that Mobil 1 knows that it will fail but I am curious as to why it would fail and how this could affect my car if I go with M1R.

Oh - just wanted to point out that I am not interested in extended OCI's. So, if I have to change the M1R more frequently that is fine. Most of my trips are short, so I need an oil that can deal with all the fuel that will end up there due to Subaru running these motors VERY rich.

Ideas?

Just to clarify the above since you appear to be new here: For API certification you have to whimp out on the additive package so oil burners wont pollute the cat.

Gene

API reduced the allowable P level (I think to 800 ppm???) in response to the concern that high amounts of P could cause catalytic converter poisoning.

My 2¢: I'm not sure if this was ever proven and this updated SM spec is at least a preemptive measure. Others may wish to chime in and clarify but the type of P used (ZDDP vs. ZTDP ??) may have something to do with an oil's ability to poison the catalytic converter.

If your car doesn't burn oil, you don't have to be concerned; n.b. that although M1R is not API rated and your owner's manual will recommend you use an API rated oil, Mobil doesn't put a disclaimer on the bottle warning you not to use M1R in catalytic converter equipped vehicles.

If you're concerned with the high level of P in M1R and you insist on using it, you can cut it with M1 0W-30, diluting it according to your tolerance for P.

When you buy 0W-30R, look at your receipt and see if it specifies that it's the "R" variety. I know at my Wal-Mart the receipt just says "motor oil". If it doesn't specify that its the 0W-30R, and a warranty problem comes up, the oil would still show the proper viscosity. How would Subaru know that it wasn't API certified?

quote:

How would Subaru know that it wasn't API certified?

They could call Wal-Mart and find out what item # xxxxxxxx was/is. Then you would be busted.
blush.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Palut:
How would Subaru know that it wasn't API certified?

They could make use of Blackstone Labs' services and
shocked.gif
at the elemental analysis (I assume Mr. Siford's STI is a pre-SM car
dunno.gif
; never assume!!).

Just make sure you do an oil change w/ API stuff before you bring the car in for warranty repairs for a burnt out cat
crushedcar.gif
grin.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Blokey:
..... Mobil doesn't put a disclaimer on the bottle warning you not to use M1R in catalytic converter equipped vehicles.

They don't have to.

The lack of an API Service Category means that no representation is made that it meets any manufacturer's warranty requirements.

Another aspect of the lack of API doughnot ont he Mobil 1R is simply cost. Putting the API label on a bottle costs significant dollars. Yes, the oil is abundantly additized but as it is a 'designer' oil with special interest sales, which on a grand scale will not be significant, why spend the dollars, even it would pass... At this point I have the Mobil 1 R in my Sequoia, Corvette, Seville, Briggs & Strattan mower, Robyn Generator, etc. etc. etc. and they are all *very* happy with it......
George Morrison, STLE CLS

So are there any downsides mechanically/technically speaking to the stout add. pack other than its lack of API certification?

quote:

So are there any downsides mechanically/technically speaking to the stout add. pack other than its lack of API certification?

NO , do a search or go to www.mobil1.com and read what it says. It's an oil designed for racing. It has all the detergency required for a daily driver, but has a highly robust additive package. If your going to race, I'd use this otherwise stick with the regular Mobil 1 which has shown to hold it's own against anything out their.

quote:

Originally posted by GeorgeCLS:
Another aspect of the lack of API doughnot ont he Mobil 1R is simply cost. Putting the API label on a bottle costs significant dollars.

With the Zinc and Phosphorus levels in it, it would not meet a current API Service Category - there's nothing to test.

quote:

Originally posted by Strjock81:

It depends on whether you believe as the automobile manufacturers do that the phosphorous poisons catalytic converters or believe as Amsoil does that with low-volatility synthetics it's not an issue.

So when are we gonna get decent some UOAs on this oil! Its been almost a year since its come out, and the hype was staggering..

quote:

Originally posted by Mickey_M:
With the Zinc and Phosphorus levels in it, it would not meet a current API Service Category - there's nothing to test.

Ahhh. So basically with the amount of Zinc and Phosphorous it doesn't even come close to fitting into an API category ... thus, it can't be tested. That makes sense. Thanks!

Re: Oil analysis results. I have completed analysis for my Corvette C-5, Toyota Sequoia and Suzuki Aerio.. However, only one analysis for the Mobil 1R in each case. Not enough to discuss as there was residual regular Mobil 1 in each engine. Meaningful information is going to take a while.. A single oil analysis result wil not provide meaningful data, especially if one had been using Mobil 1 previously......

Dyno results for a GTP Chevrolet engine have provided HP advantage when compared with previously used 5W-20 Torco including Torco's MZD supplemental addtive.

George Morrison, STLE CLS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back