Why is rotella hated by some?

A lot of guys on the diesel truck forums swear it causes increased oil consumption over other brands. Have never noticed this with any of my trucks though.

Hatters gonna hat.
IMG_4709.jpeg

Don’t hat the playa, hat the game.

WTH was that? I thought this was about Rotella T6 motor oil.
It’s called humor. It’s the quality of being amusing.

You see Mr. Lawnranger typed hat instead of hate, emulating a slang like drawl(or maybe it was a typo but I read it as intentional drawl for dramatic effect).

So then I added on a hat themed meme(an image copy, pasted and spread around the internet) of the humorous variety also relating to hats.

You see sometimes amongst all the locked threads, arguments about EVs, threads designed to make members feel superior to Jiffy Lube techs and talk of how anyone who works at an auto dealership should be drowned(I’m sure you’ve blocked me but hi BillT460 still waiting for our trip to the ocean I’m bringing my rubber duck floatie so it may take you a few attempts!) There’s a few of us that still like to have fun.

So laugh, sigh disappointedly because we’re using elementary humor or shake your fist at the sky and yell “oil is no joking matter!” However you choose to go about it….now you know and knowing is half the battle!

All I usually hear is people loving it. I love Rotella, also love Traveller 15W-40. I use both universally on OPE, farm equipment, my LSx trucks in summer, etc.

I saw a Rotella ad/ video were they ran a conventional during the initial break in because a synthetic would creator issues for the engine. I think he switched from T4 to a T6.

I imagine people don’t like Rotella for the same reason this guy thinks you can’t run a synthetic during the break in period.

I think it's a pretty cool, versatile product. Can use it in everything. I just don't understand the cult following and borderline worship it has.

I ran it in my piston-slappy Jeep 4.0 and it got even noisier.

Especially when it comes to oil and filters, for whatever reason, people get some weird opinions on it without any real merit or actual data.

It's fine oil.

Most of these examples are in light duty configurations. What I have heard (second hand of course) is that the quality of shell isn’t there anymore for Long haul HD applications. They have referenced their base oil not being as good as it used to be. Again second hand so take it for what it’s worth. I run Kendall now but have never run rotella.

Most of these examples are in light duty configurations. What I have heard (second hand of course) is that the quality of shell isn’t there anymore for Long haul HD applications. They have referenced their base oil not being as good as it used to be. Again second hand so take it for what it’s worth. I run Kendall now but have never run rotella.
I know quite a few folks with diesel fleets that run Rotella for long OCI’s. They said “that’s just not even close to true and factual”. My work we use Rotella T4 10w30 in diesel pickups etc. never a issue. And we are going 8-10~k OCI’s.

I know quite a few folks with diesel fleets that run Rotella for long OCI’s. They said “that’s just not even close to true and factual”. My work we use Rotella T4 10w30 in diesel pickups etc. never a issue. And we are going 8-10~k OCI’s.
I’m still kinda on the fence about the 10-30/5-40 debate for my new Cummins Ram. But since I have 5 OC’s worth of T6 5-40, I guess that’s what it will get. Really haven’t seen anything about which one is better or worse.
But in either case it would probably still be Rotella because of the availability just about anywhere. It(Rotella) may not be the very best available but I haven’t seen anything contrary to it being good oil. Meets just about all of the diesel specs.

Last edited:
Back