Why is Mobil Delvac 1 ESP so Expensive

not knocking it but---> 50% more $ but probably not even .01% longer engine life. I'll stick to Rotella 5w40 in my 6.7s. ...plus the Rotella and Valvoline are both on Ford's "approved oil list" in the 5w40. Delvac 0w40 and 15w40 are but not the 5w40.

A bucket Full syn 15w-40 from a US company is now at least $100. i used to buy 5 gal buckets of the standard stuff at tractor supply for as little as $35.99 on sale and $50 regular. But it's no longer a few bucks more and it's undoubtable oil companies have been abusing the supply chain and inflation excuse to report record profit and record stock growth. Not record gross income but net income. I don't want anything from my neighbor anymore if my neighbor is an abusive unamerican subhuman that's desperate to screw me over because they want me to never stop loving thy neighbor no matter what they do.
I have good friends that work with the financials in the industry and what the news does not tell you is those so called "record profits!" do not go to their pockets. They mostly go right back to paying off loans that they owe on. Petroleum is a long term endeavor that requires a lot of investment for future planning of commodity and pricing. Equipment, maintenance, leases, permits, insurance, research & development, geological surveying and exploration, etc.

It takes up to 18 months to get an already built drilling rig operational, longer if you need to build a new one. And that is if/when you get through the leasing and then subsequent permitting processes. The Government has been shouting about how many leases they've given, but they are stone walling the permitting process (lease is no good without permits), that is one main reason your gas isn't $2/gal anymore. They were releasing millions of barrels out of our strategic reserve to artificially keep prices lower just before the election, that has ended and now pricing will continue to increase. Not to mention if they replenish the strategic reserve it will be at a much higher price now, which all of us get to pay for with our tax dollars.

A bucket Full syn 15w-40 from a US company is now at least $100. i used to buy 5 gal buckets of the standard stuff at tractor supply for as little as $35.99 on sale and $50 regular. But it's no longer a few bucks more and it's undoubtable oil companies have been abusing the supply chain and inflation excuse to report record profit and record stock growth. Not record gross income but net income. I don't want anything from my neighbor anymore if my neighbor is an abusive unamerican subhuman that's desperate to screw me over because they want me to never stop loving thy neighbor no matter what they do.
Honestly it is only a few bucks, and the big bad oil company you're giving your money to could at least be an American big bad oil company. One that pays US rig workers, field workers, refinery workers, and truck drivers.

You buy the Sinopec and a few dollars go to Walmart. The rest leaves.

I have good friends that work with the financials in the industry and what the news does not tell you is those so called "record profits!" do not go to their pockets. They mostly go right back to paying off loans that they owe on. Petroleum is a long term endeavor that requires a lot of investment for future planning of commodity and pricing. Equipment, maintenance, leases, permits, insurance, research & development, geological surveying and exploration, etc.

It takes up to 18 months to get an already built drilling rig operational, longer if you need to build a new one. And that is if/when you get through the leasing and then subsequent permitting processes. The Government has been shouting about how many leases they've given, but they are stone walling the permitting process (lease is no good without permits), that is one main reason your gas isn't $2/gal anymore. They were releasing millions of barrels out of our strategic reserve to artificially keep prices lower just before the election, that has ended and now pricing will continue to increase. Not to mention if they replenish the strategic reserve it will be at a much higher price now, which all of us get to pay for with our tax dollars.
IMO there are two different worlds with a slight difference:
1. In capitalism, “record profits!” generally means a company is delivering what customers want/need better than anyone else. If prices are needlessly higher than the market will bear, customers will take their dollars elsewhere, and “record profits!” evaporate overnight. The caveat is if a monopoly is allowed to exist.
2. Centrally controlled economies are different.

Last edited:
1) the retail price of any one particular lube product will vary widely depending upon regional marketing pushes and also bulk contract buying power of the retailer itself
2) other forces (as well described by some above) influence the overall costs of lube products; long term leases, permits, equipment, labor market, etc
3) promotional marketing pushes (discount sales and rebates) also influence your retail costs
4) while some may view Rotella and Valvoline as "off brand", the market would beg to differ. In the NA market, Rotella is a high-volume seller, and Valvoline is the brand Cummins chooses to align with. Together with Delvac, these brands are referred to as the "Big Three" in HDEO marketing. Then there are brands such as Delo and Castrol; also big players in the market. To call Rotella and Valvoline "off brand" is, well, laughable.

IMO there are two different worlds with a slight difference:
1. In capitalism, “record profits!” generally means a company is delivering what customers want/need better than anyone else. If prices are needlessly higher than the market will bear, customers will take their dollars elsewhere, and “record profits!” evaporate overnight. The caveat is if a monopoly is allowed to exist.
2. (edit - Mod)
Overly simplified and plain incorrect to boot.

Delvac 1 ESP 5w40 is nearly identical to Mobil 1 ESP Turbo Diesel Truck 5w40. For the last several years gallon jugs of Delvac 1 have been about $2 cheaper than TDT at Fleet Farm stores. Currently Delvac 1 is $30.99 and TDT is $32.49.

Rotella T6 is $34.99 but most stores are out of stock.

Yeah, I heard that on Fox News, and I'm not even an American.

I found this. Full syn sinopec 15w-40 for 13.68 a gallon but it's a 4.75gal bucket, a little odd but ok.

It's shipped directly by Walmart so you get free shipping but it's gotta be the first oil listing I've ever seen that includes the PDS in the pictures and for a full synthetic at that price it looks great. Pour point of -43 and a flashpoint of 233. I'm sure that psd will be a fan.

Oil from the Chinese government......good luck with that. Does it come with a free ballon?

As to record profits, those go to shareholders, like pension funds and your retirement investments. It's not a pile of cash with a bunch of old white guys having an orgy with hookers on top of it. That's government work.

Where do Sinopec profits go?

Should we be giving people that choose one brand of oil over the other, a hard time, b/c of China's balloon politics etc?

No one here can legitimately say where all the money goes to if one were to buy Sinopec Oil. We do know that some of it stays in our homeland if purchasing from wal-mart.

some act like they've never bought Chinese stuff in their life & I don't think anyone would buy that argument.

Yeah the price has gone up a ton over the last year. It used to be $25 at Walmart. Now it's a whopping $35. Madness
In 2015/2016, it was over $40 per gallon and Mobil Delvac 1 5W-40 was not available at Walmart, only Mobil Delvac 15W-40.

Chevron Delo 5W-40 and Shell Rotella T6 5W-40 was also available at Walmart and was about $23 per gallon in comparison making Delvac 1 almost 2x the cost.

Those off-brands are slack wax derived product. They're cheaper to produce. Mobil Delvac-1 is truly a top shelf product and likely much higher quality than it needs to be.

Sometimes the king just likes to show off.

It was, not anymore. Read the most current SDS for M1 ESP. It’s like all the others.

In 2015/2016, it was over $40 per gallon and Mobil Delvac 1 5W-40 was not available at Walmart, only Mobil Delvac 15W-40.

Chevron Delo 5W-40 and Shell Rotella T6 5W-40 was also available at Walmart and was about $23 per gallon in comparison making Delvac 1 almost 2x the cost.
Delvac esp 5w-40 was available at mine for under $25 up until the prices started going up. Are you talking about Delvac SHC 5w-40? That's a really high end extended drain diesel oil that's pretty rare to come by.

Back