!!!!!!!! Why is Facebook being referenced???

Status
Not open for further replies.
While diagnosing a problem on my laptop I noticed that Facebook is being referenced when opening a BITOG page. Give it a try - go to the Passenger Car Motor Oil (PCMO) - Gasoline Cars/Pickups/Vans/SUVs forum and open ALL for the POLL!!! Quaker State VS Valvoline thread; a long thread that will cause the server to take a little time to process. Watch the status bar (lower left that lists the web page calls that are used to open the page). You will see the following URL displayed [I put a - at the beginning so it wouldn't be a link in this thread and I only typed a portion of the URL]:
-http://www.facebook.com/plugins/like.php?href=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.bobistheoilguy.com%2forums%2ubbthreads.php?ubb

Is BITOG activity being reported to Facebook?

I think it is because a Facebook "like" button is included on all the forum pages. Don't worry, Google is watching as well, many of my old posts show up on Google searches!

My work blocks facebook, and the section formatted for the embedded stuff shows an odd corner of an error page.

I was chagrined when FB was added here, as now I feel my IT guy is going to notice my (unwanted) furtive attempts to connect.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
My work blocks facebook, and the section formatted for the embedded stuff shows an odd corner of an error page.

I was chagrined when FB was added here, as now I feel my IT guy is going to notice my (unwanted) furtive attempts to connect.

As an IT guy. He probably can see it. he also probably knows its embedded. but if you really want to kill it.. Open up a windows explorer window (open my documents or something) then in the address bar at the top where it says my documents put in "C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc" you should see a "hosts" file , right click, open in/ open with notepad , you should see something like this.. # Copyright (c) 1993-2009 Microsoft Corp.
#
# This is a sample HOSTS file used by Microsoft TCP/IP for Windows.
#
# This file contains the mappings of IP addresses to host names. Each
# entry should be kept on an individual line. The IP address should
# be placed in the first column followed by the corresponding host name.
# The IP address and the host name should be separated by at least one
# space.
#
# Additionally, comments (such as these) may be inserted on individual
# lines or following the machine name denoted by a '#' symbol.
#
# For example:
#
# 102.54.94.97 rhino.acme.com # source server
# 38.25.63.10 x.acme.com # x client host

# localhost name resolution is handled within DNS itself.
# 127.0.0.1 localhost
# ::1 localhost

at the end type in "127.0.0.1 www.facebook.com" so it should look like this at the end after.

# localhost name resolution is handled within DNS itself.
# 127.0.0.1 localhost
# ::1 localhost
127.0.0.1 www.facebook.com

Then click save. Close and re open any internet explorer windows and if you try to go to facebook it should display "page cannot be found"

smile.gif
btw. do this at your own risk. if you edit the wrong file you can kinda goof things up
smile.gif

It's just the social connector (hence the "Like" and "Tweet" buttons). Tons of sites already do this.

also, i noticed the posting omitted alot of spaces.. there are spaces between 127.0.0.1 and www.facebook.com and if you ever need to use facebook again if they allow it.. just delete that line out of the hosts file
smile.gif

Last edited:
I already get the "page cannot be found" error. I think IT guy did it to block one idiot, probably in the router's DNS serving. I don't have admin rights over the machine I normally use, anyway. I found one of FBs IP address and it loaded a shell of a page but since they load images from other FB servers it ceased working pretty quickly.

My netbook, with openDNS, finds FB just fine, and our business has a FB presence another dept administers, so they had to put in a loophole to let them through.

ahh. ok so it probably isnt blocked through an actual appliance type filter. (i.e iPrism 8e6 or barracuda) probably just a dns reroute
smile.gif

Modifying your hosts file can also be the best ad blocker around. (As well as saving you the RAM of having to run an ad blocker as a browser plugin.) There are host file templates out there, pre-filled with all of the usual suspects in the way of ad servers.

I, too, find these idiotic "Tweet" and "Like" buttons on every page, everywhere on every site on the interwebs to be a massive pain in the you-know-what as well as a terrible slow-down for page loading times.

I use FireFox with Adblock Plus to block ads and custom plug-ins that I find bothersome. It would work wonders in your case.

Originally Posted By: eljefino

Haha...my IT guy actually apologized to everyone for the inconvenience of not being able to use FB or other personal websites for a couple days due to a virus threat. I guess I'm lucky for being able to get on BITOG at work, but unfortunately most of the year I'm too busy to do so.

Originally Posted By: mc2lizard
As an IT guy. He probably can see it. he also probably knows its embedded. but if you really want to kill it.. Open up a windows explorer window

This reads like Morse code from the Titanic.

Originally Posted By: L_Sludger
I use FireFox with Adblock Plus to block ads and custom plug-ins that I find bothersome. It would work wonders in your case.

This

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back