Why is 2T JASO 2 cycle oil allowed for PWCs?

Why is 2T JASO 2 cycle oil allowed for PWCs but not outboard motors? They are both water cooled 2 stroke. Some of the hybrid jet boats are simply large PWCs with extra seating. Some even come with outboard motors in a layed down configuration. Would they use TCW-3 or JASO?

Why is 2T JASO 2 cycle oil allowed for PWCs but not outboard motors? They are both water cooled 2 stroke. Some of the hybrid jet boats are simply large PWCs with extra seating. Some even come with outboard motors in a layed down configuration. Would they use TCW-3 or JASO?
RPM's?

Meaning TCW-3 oils are 4 lower RPM's, that is my guess.

allowed by who? The owners manual? I'd say air cooled run hotter and ashless is preferred for water cooled.

But allow me to blow your mind.. there are some 2 cycle oils that say they meet both standards.😬 Which is ??!??!?

I would assume if they say jaso FD is ok they dont care if the 2 cycle oil is ashless or not.

allowed by who? The owners manual? I'd say air cooled run hotter and ashless is preferred for water cooled.

But allow me to blow your mind.. there are some 2 cycle oils that say they meet both standards.😬 Which is ??!??!?

I would assume if they say jaso FD is ok they dont care if the 2 cycle oil is ashless or not.

Yep. I have seen some that meet both standards. Take Liqui Moly Marine 2T for example meets both TCW-3 and JASO FD.

Yep. I have seen some that meet both standards. Take Liqui Moly Marine 2T for example meets both TCW-3 and JASO FD.
Well it's NMMA TC-W3 approved, but recommended for JASO FD. JASO FD is a license which it apparently does not have. They do not say it meets the requirements for JASO FD only that they recommend it in those applications.

Not that it's bad but just to be clear they do not say it meets both requirements.

Back