Why is 10W30 extra special Castrol GTX?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just purchased enough 10W30 Castrol GTX in 5-qt containers to get my up to 15,000 miles at 3750 mile intervals on the S2000, then I switch to synthetic and run 5000 miles, feeling confident of a full break-in on dino oil.

I noticed HERE that 10W30 is especially touted as superior. In an overview they say "CASTROL GTX 10W-30 is formulated with superior base oils and patented additive technology to provide better protection against volatility burn off than other leading oils. GTX is the only leading conventional 10W-30 that provides this superior protection." Then they go on to list all the grades.

quote:

Originally posted by S2000driver:
I just purchased enough 10W30 Castrol GTX in 5-qt containers to get my up to 15,000 miles at 3750 mile intervals on the S2000, then I switch to synthetic and run 5000 miles, feeling confident of a full break-in on dino oil.

I noticed HERE that 10W30 is especially touted as superior. In an overview they say "CASTROL GTX 10W-30 is formulated with superior base oils and patented additive technology to provide better protection against volatility burn off than other leading oils. GTX is the only leading conventional 10W-30 that provides this superior protection." Then they go on to list all the grades.

When it comes to Castrol's U.S. marketing, I gave up a long time ago trying to figure out most of the BS they come up with. Remember, they'd have you believe that their synthetic, with a higher pour point than many "conventional" oils, is the ultimate motor oil out there.
rolleyes.gif

Not to put down the GTX, but all additive technologies are patented.

They buy their Group II base oils from other companies.

So you put those two phrases together with some unsubstantiated claims, and you have the best oil in the world! From the UOA's on the board, it is better than their Syntec.

Most of this stuff is marketing hype.

[ February 26, 2003, 10:26 PM: Message edited by: MolaKule ]

I use that on My S2000 and its works fine the motor is all quiet and smooth so far no problems havent gone Synthetic!!!! All these oil companies are Hype!!!!! People use Mobil 1 and Syntec and some S2000s run well and some loose power and Vtec so becareful put synthetic after 10000 miles but for now Castrol GTX is my oil of choice and some Moderators on S2ki said GTX is great stuff... rememeber 10w30 only

I remember back in 98 or 99 they were advertising the Castrol 5/30 to have less volotilaty than any other 5/30..
There are oils stuck in corners and so overlooked yet will run circles around the GTX in any wt IMO for the same money or less.

Marketing works

I recently bought a new (to us; 34K miles) Explorer Sport for the wife's daily driver.It had a sticker that showed the last oil change was with 10W-30, put in by a company called "Duke of Oil".
grin.gif

After 3500 miles on the oil, I changed it using GTX 10W-30. The engine is noticably quieter upon startup now. I don't know what "Duke of Oil" put in it, but whatever it was, I feel the GTX is lots better.....

[ February 27, 2003, 11:09 AM: Message edited by: TheLoneRanger ]

Castrol make it sound that the 10W-30 is special compared to their other formulations, not just to other brands. Does anyone know where to find the spec sheets for the oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back