Why I Switched to 0W8

Maybe someone has a car they don't really care about and would be willing to run WD-40 in it, but drive it around in a benign/grocery getter type fashion. How long would it last in those use conditions would be an interesting "experiment".

Last edited:
Run 0W8 and don't forget to do two one hour kerosene flushes each time you change the oil...

I tried to watch that video, that guy seems like one of the stupidest human beings I’ve witnessed in my entire life. That’s quite impressive as I’ve seen some of Scotty Kilmer’s videos.

That's LAT though, probably the only company that has more dye in their oil than ZDDP... and they have a lot of ZDDP.

Light oils require a different mindset when it comes to formulating. You can't just toss an SP add pack into a Yubase 4 base oil with a 24 SSI VII and call it good. Shear stability, thermal stability, and volatility have to be rock solid. The margin for error is much smaller. It takes a good bit of R&D to get reliable and repeatable results from light oils. Some companies have the ability and mindset to make that happen, others don't.

If you want to know who's doing light oils successfully, go to an NHRA race, check out the Pro Stock cars, and see what company is on the cars.
Yeah ,but in pro stock they are only running the oil for about 6.5 seconds.

Yeah ,but in pro stock they are only running the oil for about 6.5 seconds.

They're also pounding that oil with ~8,500 psi bearing load at 8,500-10,500 rpm the entire time. After 40+ passes on some of those engines, the bearings are still in like-new condition. If the oil can withstand that load, without shearing, it'll certainly hold up in a commuter car that may see 3,000 psi bearing load at the very most at WOT,
A major factor in EHL oil film thickness is the roughness of the lubricated surfaces. Most all modern engines will have shallow and consistent honing and smooth crank journals. This allows a thinner oil film before reaching mixed and boundary lubrication. An engine built in the 1960s with poor crank alignment (by today's standards), rough hone work, big 5/64" and 3/16" rings, and soft babbitt bearings likely wouldn't last long with a 0W-8 oil regardless of the bearing clearance.

Don't leave the thread....

Fine, you talked me into it.

Last edited:
They're also pounding that oil with ~8,500 psi bearing load at 8,500-10,500 rpm the entire time. After 40+ passes on some of those engines, the bearings are still in like-new condition. If the oil can withstand that load, without shearing, it'll certainly hold up in a commuter car that may see 3,000 psi bearing load at the very most at WOT,
A major factor in EHL oil film thickness is the roughness of the lubricated surfaces. Most all modern engines will have shallow and consistent honing and smooth crank journals. This allows a thinner oil film before reaching mixed and boundary lubrication. An engine built in the 1960s with poor crank alignment (by today's standards), rough hone work, big 5/64" and 3/16" rings, and soft babbitt bearings likely wouldn't last long with a 0W-8 oil regardless of the bearing clearance.

Fine, you talked me into it.
Somehow, I don't think Erica is getting 40 passes in the 6.5's @ 207 mph on an untouched engine. jmo

Somehow, I don't think Erica is getting 40 passes in the 6.5's @ 207 mph on an untouched engine. jmo

Elite isn't new to doing that, nor are some other teams. When Aaron Stanfield (an Elite car) won at Pomona earlier this year, the final round of that race was the 46th pass on that engine. You can do that when you have a good, dependable oil protecting it.

Last edited:
Elite isn't new to doing that, nor are some other teams. When Aaron Stanfield (an Elite car) won at Pomona earlier this year, the final round of that race was the 46th pass on that engine. You can do that when you have a good, dependable oil protecting it.

Bryce heard those words directly from the guy in charge of the engine program for Elite at the US nationals.

Well its actually true. Not in Ericas specifically but another engine in Elite's camp and a fast one. This kind of goes to the point that is missed and has turned this tread into a sideshow. Getting back to Basics, Direct Rejection has his own reasons for wanting to run a 0W8. Based on our success he has chosen our Premium Plus 0W8. There is no disastrous NOACK to worry about, His engine is not going to blow up, the oil will do well, the sample data will be fine. We do lightweight oils very well which is why only a few companies even play in the Professional Gasoline classes in the NHRA. On a given weekend 75% of the cars and bikes going down the track use our oil. We do not pay ANY of them. We supply oil only to some but not all of the teams. Our logos are all over the place for one reason only. Our stuff works and delivers durability that these people have not seen before. That is very tangible value to these teams. For the first time in the history of the team Elite actually reuses bearings. Direct Rejection asked questions, I gave him honest answers, he made his decision.

To clarify, every time a pro stock car comes off the track it will get looked at. That means they will set lash, measure springs, and sometimes run leak down on the cylinders. Beyond that they are not inside the engine.

Well its actually true. Not in Ericas specifically but another engine in Elite's camp and a fast one. This kind of goes to the point that is missed and has turned this tread into a sideshow. Getting back to Basics, Direct Rejection has his own reasons for wanting to run a 0W8. Based on our success he has chosen our Premium Plus 0W8. There is no disastrous NOACK to worry about, His engine is not going to blow up, the oil will do well, the sample data will be fine. We do lightweight oils very well which is why only a few companies even play in the Professional Gasoline classes in the NHRA. On a given weekend 75% of the cars and bikes going down the track use our oil. We do not pay ANY of them. We supply oil only to some but not all of the teams. Our logos are all over the place for one reason only. Our stuff works and delivers durability that these people have not seen before. That is very tangible value to these teams. For the first time in the history of the team Elite actually reuses bearings. Direct Rejection asked questions, I gave him honest answers, he made his decision.
Very interesting. Does this strip performance transfer to my '17 2.5 Camry? Could you post the vis #s, specs, etc., for the oils we use everyday such as 0w-20 etc. Also how is the most economical way for us to purchase the oil and what does it cost, ballpark ?

Very interesting. Does this strip performance transfer to my '17 2.5 Camry? Could you post the vis #s, specs, etc., for the oils we use everyday such as 0w-20 etc. Also how is the most economical way for us to purchase the oil and what does it cost, ballpark ?

There is a great deal of common additives between the 2 oils. There is more emphasis built into the street oils for extended drains.

Back