Why I Switched to 0W8

We need an 0W8 VS 5W20 VS 5W30 debate.
POPCORN.gif

From a layman’s point of view a NASCAR motor might get more abuse in the hundreds of miles in a race versus the everyday automobile engine in so many thousands.
this.

anybody pouring thinner oil than engine was specced for, you are asking for (future) trouble.
some cars have cam rollers, i do not. i wasn´t excited by ears running on 0w30.
so i keep using service manual 2nd option 5w40... using a premium oil with tungsten it feels much better than common 0w30

this.

anybody pouring thinner oil than engine was specced for, you are asking for (future) trouble.
some cars have cam rollers, i do not. i wasn´t excited by ears running on 0w30.
so i keep using service manual 2nd option 5w40... using a premium oil with tungsten it feels much better than common 0w30
but manufacturers like toyota specify to use oils that most of us cant get, 0w16..I guess they know what they're doing?

This goes to volkswagen too, they are a shame for using 0w30 in engines that require above 15w40.

but manufacturers like toyota specify to use oils that most of us cant get, 0w16..I guess they know what they're doing?

This goes to volkswagen too, they are a shame for using 0w30 in engines that require above 15w40.
Yes they know exactly what they are doing. They are complying with the terms of their CAFE award letter after spending enormous amounts of money designing engines that tolerate the oils being used.

And your statement about Volkswagen makes no sense. Some 30-grade oils (including those with a 0W winter rating) have an HT/HS at or above 3.5. No Volkswagen model “requires” a grade “above a 15W-40”, they require an approval which specifies an HT/HS. Winter ratings are not part of the equation.

0w16 is widely available. Walmart has it stocked with several brands available.

If we aren't going to test and experiment within the world of tribology, just get the cheapest OEM recommended grade from the shelf at Walmart, then why does this forum exist? If someone's mindset is to use what the manual says to a T with no deviation, then why are they here?

It's like people going to a 5-star restaurant and arguing with other guests about how they can get full just the same on mcnuggets.
Unsurprisingly, you've demonstrated both Dunning Krueger and the false choice fallacy.
BITOG isn't about testing or experimentation in any serious sense, at least not at an engineering or scientific level. It's a social community with a common interest and nothing more. The 'testing' that is done here wouldn't survive a whiff of peer review or statistical analysis.

Your assertion that there are only two choices of either "test and experiment within the world of tribology" or "get the cheapest OEM recommended grade from the shelf at Walmart" is both disingenuous and short sighted. Some degree of empathy for the perspective of others would probably help to expand your world view.

Cheers!

If we aren't going to test and experiment within the world of tribology, just get the cheapest OEM recommended grade from the shelf at Walmart, then why does this forum exist? If someone's mindset is to use what the manual says to a T with no deviation, then why are they here?

It's like people going to a 5-star restaurant and arguing with other guests about how they can get full just the same on mcnuggets.
Exactly. I don't understand why people come on this board and complain about splitting hairs or thinking too hard or complicating something simple. This is a forum devoted to MOTOR OIL, something 99% of the population only thinks about maybe once a year when the wrench lights up on the dash.

Exactly. I don't understand why people come on this board and complain about splitting hairs or thinking too hard or complicating something simple. This is a forum devoted to MOTOR OIL, something 99% of the population only thinks about maybe once a year when the wrench lights up on the dash.
All of which is fine but the "test" criteria should at least be valid, not "feels smoother", the engine "likes" the oil, or "wife noticed the difference" which is what is generally posted. That only makes for noise on the board and has nothing to do with lazy drivers that wait for the wrench light.

Unless of course your goal is being an abuser of your brand.

Unsurprisingly, you've demonstrated both Dunning Krueger and the false choice fallacy.
BITOG isn't about testing or experimentation in any serious sense, at least not at an engineering or scientific level. It's a social community with a common interest and nothing more. The 'testing' that is done here wouldn't survive a whiff of peer review or statistical analysis.

Your assertion that there are only two choices of either "test and experiment within the world of tribology" or "get the cheapest OEM recommended grade from the shelf at Walmart" is both disingenuous and short sighted. Some degree of empathy for the perspective of others would probably help to expand your world view.

Cheers!

I award you 100 internets for invoking both Dunning Krueger and the False Dilemma fallacy.

Alas, if you'd only found a way to work in the Peter Principle I could have done more.

Don't spend it all in one place.

;)

I award you 100 internets for invoking both Dunning Krueger and the False Dilemma fallacy.

Alas, if you'd only found a way to work in the Peter Principle I could have done more.

Don't spend it all in one place.

;)
Thanks for continuing to prove my point.
A+ for consistency.

Absolutely.
You do realize that based on your previous reply, it applies to you also, yes?

Well, it was that "A+ for consistency" comment that had me puzzled.

In any case, I always get a chuckle from reading "Dunning Krueger" in an internet forum. So thanks for that. ;)

Back