Why I love March Madness... Idaho's band supported Yale basketball Team.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yale couldn't justify sending their band cross-country to Washington State for a game that Yale wasn't expected to even win (Yes, Yale DOES have a basketball team).... so the University of Idaho band stepped in to help.

And then Yale won, LOL.

Surprised that the arena in Spokane was standing room only for many teams that have no footprint whatsoever in the Northwest. It was like Gonzaga was playing when St Mary's lost. Boos, Jeers, cussing, screaming. The fans turned up just to diss a rival. Makes my heart swell with American pride. lol I bet that Yale thought they were following the newly broken path of Lewis and Clark in the savage West.

Yale has a 40 billion dollar endowment……
Common knowledge.

Which is why their financial aid is among the most generous in the country. If a student is admitted, they can afford to go. It's that simple.

Their basketball players are like every other Yale athlete - scholar athletes - which makes them different than every other school in the tournament. You won't find many other players in the NCAA with 1600 on their SATs.

Yale athletes have the option go on to graduate schools, and professions outside of sports. They're incredibly bright, and just happen to be athletes.

Their basketball players are like every other Yale athlete - scholar athletes - which makes them different than every other school in the tournament.
Not hardly professor! Duke, Stanford, Notre Dame etc……My reference to the size of their endowment was that Yale could afford to send their band…but chose not too.

Not hardly professor! Duke, Stanford, Notre Dame etc……My reference to the size of their endowment was that Yale could afford to send their band…but chose not too.
Stanford, perhaps. Duke, maybe. Notre Dame, likely not.

Different schools have different admission standards. Notre Dame accepts student athletes with significantly lower academic scores than their regular students.

Yale does not.

Your first point (Yale can afford to send the team) was unclear from your post.

Your second point is specious. Those are all fine schools, but they “adjust” standards for athletes.

Finally, you’ve missed the point of the article.

Yale’s band couldn’t make the trip. Nobody said it was a budget issue.

Last edited:
Which is why their financial aid is among the most generous in the country. If a student is admitted, they can afford to go. It's that simple.
Not unique to Yale. Most all universities have a student aid department where if a student is admitted, they’re assured of graduating via student loans, partial scholarships, etc no matter what their financial situation and if they maintain their grades. Of course there are basketball mills, football mills, baseball mills and we all know who they are.
Yale athletes have the option go on to graduate schools, and professions outside of sports.
Again, not unique to Yale. 95% of all college athletes never play professionally the sport they played In college.
Yale’s band couldn’t make the trip. Nobody said it was a budget issue.
No great mystery why the Yale band was a no show. Yale wasn’t expected to beat Auburn, hence no band. It was certainly not for financial reasons! I suspect the Idaho band graciously offered to step up and play boola boola for the dozen Yale fans at the game. Yale is this years Cinderella story for March madness now that Oakland was bounced yesterday. I’m rooting for Yale and we’ll see how Yale does against SDSU today. Kudos to the Ivy League for dominating the “sports” of fencing and Polo! 🤺🏇

Not unique to Yale. Most all universities have a student aid department where if a student is admitted, they’re assured of graduating via student loans, partial scholarships, etc no matter what their financial situation and if they maintain their grades. Of course there are basketball mills, football mills, baseball mills and we all know who they are.

Again, not unique to Yale. 95% of all college athletes never play professionally the sport they played In college.

No great mystery why the Yale band was a no show. Yale wasn’t expected to beat Auburn, hence no band. It was certainly not for financial reasons! I suspect the Idaho band graciously offered to step up and play boola boola for the dozen Yale fans at the game. Yale is this years Cinderella story for March madness now that Oakland was bounced yesterday. I’m rooting for Yale and we’ll see how Yale does against SDSU today. Kudos to the Ivy League for dominating the “sports” of fencing and Polo! 🤺🏇
This whole post is a thinly veiled bash of the Ivy League. It stems from popular stereotypes about Yale, or Harvard, or the rest of the Ivy League that are simply untrue.

How many kids have you put through college?

For me, it’s been six. I’ve paid for 24 years of college.

24 FAFSA financial aid applications. Several dozen aid awards over a period of 12 years. Years where there were more than one in college. One year, it was four. A large set of deeply personal, detailed data.

There is a huge financial aid difference across institutions. It is most certainly not true that “most all universities … a student is assured of graduating”. There are dramatic, important, differences in aid. I’ve seen them.

Most schools include the student taking loans as part of their “aid”. Many schools offer the same student less than half the aid that would be offered by Yale. That is not the assurance you claim. Not even close.

Yale has need blind admissions, and need based aid. There are perhaps a dozen schools in the country for whom that is the case. Williams. Yale. Harvard. Stanford. A few others.

Notre Dame, for example, offers athletes more aid than equivalent students who are not athletes. That’s not need blind and it sure isn’t need based. Good school, but not a peer when it comes to admissions, aid and scholar athletes.

I once talked with a young lady in the Harvard University Band. Born on an Indian Reservation in Wyoming. First ever in her family to go to college. One of a very few in her high school to go to college. Harvard got her parent’s financial details and gave her a genuine full ride. Tuition waived. Room and board paid for. A spending allowance for books and personal expenses. Plane tickets back and forth between Boston and Casper. No other school came close. Her parents didn’t have to come up with one dime for her education, and she didn’t need to borrow at all.

Yale, Harvard, and the other few peers, are, in fact, unique. They do, in fact, offer better, deeper, access than the rest of the colleges and universities in the country. They do, absolutely, use that endowment to achieve their institutional values of need blind admission, and need based aid to offer access to those, like that young lady, who would not otherwise have it.

Don’t kid yourself that “other” schools offer anything close. It’s like believing that a Honda offers the same handling as a Porsche, when you’ve never actually driven either. The Honda may be great, but it is not the same.

How many kids have you put through college?
Both my sons so….two! One granddaughter was just accepted into Auburn and has offers from UNCW and UNCG. I saw the story of the young lady you mentioned on the evening news a few years ago. Good on Harvard and the young lady! Plus great PR for the school as well!

Need blind admission simply means that an applicants financial need doesn’t factor in the admissions decision. Nor does it factor in that 100% of the applicants need be met.
Yale has need blind admissions, and need based aid. There are perhaps a dozen schools in the country for whom that is the case. Williams. Yale. Harvard. Stanford. A few others.
Yet again you infer that Yale offers something that many other universities don’t! There are more than 100 schools that offer need blind admission all over the country! look it up if you’re so inclined.

Both my sons so….two! One granddaughter was just accepted into Auburn and has offers from UNCW and UNCG. I saw the story of the young lady you mentioned on the evening news a few years ago. Good on Harvard and the young lady! Plus great PR for the school as well!

Need blind admission simply means that an applicants financial need doesn’t factor in the admissions decision. Nor does it factor in that 100% of the applicants need be met.

Yet again you infer that Yale offers something that many other universities don’t! There are more than 100 schools that offer need blind admission all over the country! look it up if you’re so inclined.
I’ve been Crystal clear on this. Need blind admissions, followed by need based aid is different.

I infer nothing. I state plainly, and for the record, that need blind admission, coupled with need based aid, is fundamentally different.

Need-based aid does in fact meet 100% of the need.

It means that a kid like the young lady from Harvard, gets every need met, including her transportation, personal and laundry expenses in addition to the usual room, board, tuition, fees, and books.

There are only 12 schools in the country that offer both.

Yale is one of them, Auburn is not.

You keep wanting to distort that fact and make it sound like Yale is the equivalent of other schools, or perhaps that the other schools are the equivalent of Yale.

But that is simply not the case. It is absolutely not the case.

There are a very few schools, 12 actual schools by my count, that meet 100% of the need, that calculate need correctly, and that then give away that amount of aid.

Not a loan, not a sports scholarship, not even a merit based scholarship, true need based aid.

Very different than other schools offer. That is the key point.

The students are admitted without regard for their ability to pay, and the school then provides all of the need. ALL of it.

I’m going to pick on a very good school here: Middlebury.

Middlebury is a fine school. Among the most competitive. But their $500 million endowment does not allow for the above. They have to admit based on ability to pay. They are no different than 99% of the schools in the country.

Contrast it with Williams. Similar academic credentials, though I might argue that Williams is slightly more competitive. Similar class size. $2 billion endowment. They admit need blind and they then meet 100% of that need. They can. They apply their endowment to achieve that goal. Williams is among the dozen that actually offers an “ivy league” education to everyone, regardless of their economic background.

They have to meet the academic standard, of course, and they have to be admitted. But once admitted, they truly can attend, in a way that very, very few schools offer.

Those 12 schools, including Harvard, Williams, and Yale, are fundamentally different than the rest.

That is clear when you dig into the policies and outcomes of financial aid across schools.

Now that people want to make political points based on ignorant stereotypes, requiring deletion of those posts, this thread is done.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back