Why have auto manuf. eliminated fuel filters?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why have Chrysler and GM stopped installing fuel filters on their cars? The only 'filter' is the sock on the fuel pump pick up in the fuel tank! Are they saying the fuel is so clean, that the fuel filters are no longer needed? I know fuel injector nozzles are very sensitive to bad fuel. This seems to be a cost reduction move only.

I would assume that the same way motor oil advances, so does the gas brew from refineries. Toyota's been using the "in tank fuel filter" (looks like a fine screen in a basket) for a decade, maybe more. I've read 2 complaints in thousands of Toyota posts, even then there wasnt proof that was actually clogged because they replaced the pump or solenoid at the same time. You can always splice a external one on if you wanted to. Would tell you how efficient the in tank fuel filter is. Or, remove the in tank filter, splice a external one on. But I suspect in tank fuel filter is a lot about protecting the pump, another reason for the position change.

They have very large in-tank fuel filters. They might be integrated into the fuel pump assembly, however. This appears to be the case with my Cruze.

Last edited:
I've seen enough clogged fuel filters to know better than to think gas (and the tanks they're stored in at stations) are "so clean" that a filter is unnecessary.

The manufacturers have not eliminated the fuel filter; they just moved it to the fuel pump assembly module in the tank. Since the manufacturers have moved to a returnless fuel line system, the volume of fuel pumped thru the system no longer requires a replaceable filter.

Dave

Audi is still using a separate filter, though they're doing weird things where they arbitrarily redesign it in the middle of a model year and there's no way to tell which version you have until you get under the car. Sucks for DIY guys.

There seems to be a definite trend toward making cars harder and harder for DIY mechanics to take care of. It's not a conspiracy, just the way it is. I'm frequently surprised though by how there seems to be no thought to access to common maintenance items, meaning that dealers will be spending a lot of time on what should be routine tasks.

Another reason is most of the fuel tanks these days (in cars and at the service station) are plastic and generally stay cleaner with less rust and scale developing over time.

Returnless systems put a much smaller volume through the system. The Toyota blogs long ago suggested not touching the in line filter used on returnless systems unless a check engine code pointed that way. I've got almost 300K on the OEM filter in a Camry.

You don't understand. When they put fuel injection in cars and they went to a submersible fuel pump in the gas tank, they put the sock on the fuel pump and had an inline fuel filter. There were two filters! This inline filter was easily replaceable and the sock was not since it required (on many cars) dropping the tank and removing the fuel pump to replace the sock. The sock was a 'replace only when you have to remove the fuel pump', not a routine maintenance item. Now many auto manufacturers have dropped the easily replaceable filter. I say that is not a good idea for the car or truck owner.

Even before the returnless fuel system, Toyota has never recommended a replacement interval for their fuel filters. (At least for the modern era - back to about 1983 which I am familiar with).

They could basically go for the life of the car (300,000 miles).

Replacement fuel filters are a big money maker for the aftermarket suppliers so it was in their interest to continue to perpetuate the myth to change the fuel filters. Think of the millions of fuel filters that have been replaced over the years to make the owner feel good or by DIY's who had other engine problems but always changed the fuel filter first because it was rather easy and just to rule it out.

I still would like to have one in-line though and didn't know they were not offered on the newer cars.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: AuthorEditor
There seems to be a definite trend toward making cars harder and harder for DIY mechanics to take care of. It's not a conspiracy, just the way it is. I'm frequently surprised though by how there seems to be no thought to access to common maintenance items, meaning that dealers will be spending a lot of time on what should be routine tasks.

I agree with you on this.

In most cases, I think the bottom line is just manufacturing cost and as long as maintenance is possible, no matter how difficult or dirty, the design criteria is met to allow maintenance.

Just look under a new vehicle like the GMC Acadia, not only does a routine oil change dump oil all over frame members and the front motor mount, and the oil filter is no more than 2 inches from the front cat converter, but there is an amazing patchwork quilt of sheetmetal braces, afterthought unibody stiffeners and AC lines/etc just hanging under there waiting for trouble.

Given that most manufacturers were fighting just to stay solvent a few years ago, it makes sense they have to kick out quick designs that are inexpensive to build.

Originally Posted By: Cressida
...Replacement fuel filters are a big money maker for the aftermarket suppliers so it was in their interest to continue to perpetuate the myth to change the fuel filters. Think of the millions of fuel filters that have been replaced over the years to make the owner feel good or by DIY's who had other engine problems but always changed the fuel filter first because it was rather easy and just to rule it out...

I don't think it's a myth - over 35 years I've had 4 different cars fuel filters become clogged.

I guess all my fleet trucks are gonna die soon then? C'mon, after running 3500 dollars a month of fuel through all these horribly under filtered trucks they have to quit running soon, eh?

It's obviously not needed or it would cost them millions in warranteed repairs under the EPA emissions warranty on every new car sold here.

This is just like the "my fuel pump will die if I run the tank low" thread. It's just not backed up by any facts.

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
I guess all my fleet trucks are gonna die soon then? C'mon, after running 3500 dollars a month of fuel through all these horribly under filtered trucks they have to quit running soon, eh?

It's obviously not needed or it would cost them millions in warranteed repairs under the EPA emissions warranty on every new car sold here.

This is just like the "my fuel pump will die if I run the tank low" thread. It's just not backed up by any facts.
Wouldn't bet on the "run low" being wrong-I've personally killed a couple gasoline in-tank fuel pumps by running them low-and we've had fleet diesels freeze up lines in winter because the driver wouldn't keep them filled.

Why would the diesel's freeze up with a low tank? With the return system I'd think the fuel would stay warmer with less fuel in the tank. OTOH frequent fillups means hopefully getting winterized D2 quicker.

I don't care how clean people claim gasoline and diesel is, there is still crud in it when it comes from the station. I pump a lot of gas and diesel into jugs for boat use and I am frequently annoyed how much [censored] there is in the bottom of the jugs when I empty them. For that reason, I use a filter funnel before it goes into the tanks, and then a serious spin-on or Racor type filter between the tank and engine, and in the case of diesels there is another filter on the engine. All of them are much bigger than anything you see on a car, and they all collect significant amounts of crud in their 100-200-hour change cycles.

Maybe they are not needed.....however I know when I used to change the filter in my 03 Yukon the stuff that came out of a filter after being used for just one year looked black....the fuel that would come out was black.....I dont know if this is gasket material or what? Maybe it was not dirt from the filter....however I would still feel better with an inline fuel filter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back