Why Don't people enjoy driving a manual trans??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Chris Meutsch
Laziness.
You can't drive/eat/use phone with a stick.

Yeah you can. I used to do it all the time when I had my MT cars. Took skill and you learned to steer with your knee but it could be done.

Originally Posted By: d00df00d
OP's comments are starting to make me regret having participated in this thread.

Everyone else seems to be posting usefully. I suggest we just ignore the chaff and keep going.

+1; Seems like just a vehicle for criticism of people who might have different needs / tastes.

I suppose people who use magazines on rifles could be construed similarly as lazy.

OP's comments are starting to make me regret having participated in this thread.

Everyone else seems to be posting usefully. I suggest we just ignore the chaff and keep going.

Yes, very immature...must be 16 years old?

Originally Posted By: KrisZ
I prefer manuals, but in reality, like the poster mentioning the BMW128i, it's the whole package that either makes the car enjoyable to drive or doesn't for me.

Wasn't really my point. See my later post. Sorry for the clumsy writing on my part.

I learned to drive on a stick. Took my driver's test in one. First 3 cars were stick, then an auto, then a stick (probably well over 600k driving sticks). Even ordered my G35 and waited 4 months for it to be built because I wanted a 6MT sedan loaded! Not an issue to drive one. Hills? Never rolled back. Eating? Not a problem at all. Phone? That's why I wore a BT headset.

It is fun but my last car with a stick was not fun the last year or so. Why? Traffic. At the time my commute was bumper to bumper for 25 minutes. So it was constant 1-2, 2-1, stop traffic that did me in. I got sick of it.

With the 6 speed auto and paddle shifters it's close enough for me. Want to row my own? Drop the lever in M and have at it. It will let you bounce off the rev limiter, has perfect downshifts, and, while not as engaging is also fun on a mountain road.

I'd buy another stick for a weekend car in a heartbeat. I even looked at stick trucks when I was looking. But they were usually rated less for towing and were more "stripper" models (something I didn't want).

My vette is a 6 spd and my beater car is a 5 spd. It's fun for me to drive stick except for in traffic. My wife knows how to drive a manual trans but prefers automatic. My daughter wants to learn to drive a manual, I will teach her on the beater car
smile.gif

I was watching "bait car" about a year ago. The cops left a manual trans vehicle out, the young perp ( appeared to be in his 20s) got in and tried to steal the car. The hidden camera was mounted somewhere between the stick and the dash, wow the look on the perps face when he saw the car was a stick, classic. It was like he was looking at a book written in a foreign language. Didn't even know how to start the car. Lol

Last edited:
I think its fun to drive a MT from time to time.
If i just want to play then its MT, if i just want to drive to work or do offroading then its AT mostly because my jeeps are at and those are my dd, sometimes it is just nice to not have to care about shifting gears.

I have a question to you that i cant realy understand.
When you get the license in USA is the drivingtest done in a AT car and then you can drive both AT and MT?
Because here its almost mandatory to pass the drivingtest with a MT car and then you can drive a at to if you want.
If you dont want to drive a MT ever (or cant because of a disabillity) then you can get a licence for cars with only AT and then you are never allowed to drive a MT car.
Same if you want to get a licence for a big rig then its MT that is mandatory after you pass the test you are free to drive a rig that has a AT, which most have over here now.

Is it the same in USA?

A lot of us do enjoy driving a stick and own at least a couple of such cars.
Buyers as a whole have voted with their wallets and real three pedal manuals are becoming rare even in peformance exotica.
Sic transit gloria mundi.
Many of us still think that sticks are glorious as compared to automatics but we are only a small proportion of the market.

I've had 'em all... 3-speed, 4-speed and 5-speed manuals. I drive a lot, probably more than 80-90% of the people on the forum. I tend to alternate when I buy cars - I'll have an automatic, then the next one will be a manual, than back to an automatic, etc. Funny thing is, however - the ones I keep for 200-300K miles are always the automatics!

Having driven close to 1 million miles with sticks 45 years on 14+ vehicles I can say that I have had few regrets.

I agree with nearly everyone here...okay we don't have to SHOOT AT drivers...

...I've had few "problems" in traffic, on hills, and such...around town I've had more problems with an AT shifting on its own than with my MTs, but that's a problem with the specific AT I guess.

...as for shifting in traffic, most cars have sufficient low-end torque for rolling stop/starts, requiring less shifting than one would expect...it's just that many MT users don't like to use the MT like an AT, i.e. feathering the accelerator for gentle-off-stop starts.

As everyone has said, it's a matter of preference as well as efficient use of power....MTs get more power out of 4-bangers, and give more control within the power-band...

MTs are typically cheaper to buy...Got Kitacam used for $2k under asking price because the dealer worried it'd be stuck with it.

It it cheaper to repair, when comparing ATs to MTs...though a MT can be abused and cause a clutch repair/replacement sooner (as mine was by the PO)

MTs USED to be more fuel efficient, but no longer....still, I get more than EPA MPG estimates...even @ 120k miles and 9 years.

In the end...the "fun" factor...one person's fun is another's chore...I like shifting, like I like cleaning/waxing/polishing my car...on another board, someone complained about having to spend a few minutes a month to polish headlights...same can be said for manual shifting I suppose.

I'm a M/T guy and plan on buying one in the future but there are negatives.....no other driver in my household can drive one being the main issue.

I've had sticks in the past and some people say it can get annoying while driving the Cross Bronx Expressway....aka....the longest parking lot in the world....but even then it becomes so routine that I don't think about it.

The main reason I like stick shifts is that I believe A/Ts are the weakest link in modern vehicles....this was certainly the case with my 01' Honda Accord and some other vehicles I've owned.

Originally Posted By: Bluestream

Yes, very immature...must be 16 years old?

I believe you are correct.

Originally Posted By: antiqueshell
Considering the state of the Main Street economy you would think the incentive to save at least 1000$ on a car by selecting a manual would be a no brainer. Heck then the cost of maintenance goes way down as well, and the longevity of that manual box is going to be quite a bit longer than the auto/CVT/DSG anything, it could last three times longer.

I'm not sure if an automatic really has $1000 more stuff in it to reflect its option price. I think in the US at least they make stick shifts a loss leader, subsidized to give a car few people want a low MSRP. Just look at how other options are profit centers. It's hard finding a Nissan Versa stick, for example, as the CVT auto is everywhere and carries a supposed MPG benefit.

I'm in the "meh" camp, neither rabidly for nor against. Many of my well used vehicles seem to come with stick shifts. Interestingly the former owners also seem "meh" on the subject-- I don't buy cars that anyone has passion over.
laugh.gif

Of the current fleet, I wish my F150 had an automatic instead of stick, so I can creep around the yard with lumber etc. My firebird has an automatic, removing some of the entertainment of a sports car.

Originally Posted By: PierreR
I think its fun to drive a MT from time to time.
If i just want to play then its MT, if i just want to drive to work or do offroading then its AT mostly because my jeeps are at and those are my dd, sometimes it is just nice to not have to care about shifting gears.

I have a question to you that i cant realy understand.
When you get the license in USA is the drivingtest done in a AT car and then you can drive both AT and MT?
Because here its almost mandatory to pass the drivingtest with a MT car and then you can drive a at to if you want.
If you dont want to drive a MT ever (or cant because of a disabillity) then you can get a licence for cars with only AT and then you are never allowed to drive a MT car.
Same if you want to get a licence for a big rig then its MT that is mandatory after you pass the test you are free to drive a rig that has a AT, which most have over here now.

Is it the same in USA?

Here in the US, there is no transmission requirement for your driving test. You can take the test in either an AT or MT, and you can drive either AT or MT.

Here in the US, you can take your drivers test in this:

antonio_garay_the_nose_tackle_who_drives_a_hello_kitty_smart_car.jpg

And then you can drive this:

truck1.jpg

Or even this:

Tripletowing1.jpg

It all depends on what one uses the vehicle for. I primarily only buy 4x4 pickup stuff and it has to do multiple duties, some of which also includes doing stuff around the farm, dealing with heavy snow on rural gravel roads in the winter, etc. Manual trans is just a real PITA for this stuff. Autos are much better, for similar reasons as eljefino mentioned. Creeping thru cattle herds and over some challenging ground really makes autos more desirable.

Problem is here, most folks forget that there are a lot of folks who don't live in metro areas and operate on freeways all the time or are trying to "get a wheel" at the stop light and race to the next one to get there while it is still red. It has nothing to do with age, distractions, etc either. It is primarily because autos offer the most flexibility for what is going on. Autos are easier on the entire driveline and differentials, especially when in working environments. It is for similar reasons that even commercial heavy trucks are moving toward automated manual transmissions and full automatics from Allison. It just makes the job easier and it helps protect driveline components better.

And on the commercial side of things, autos must have as much reliability as manuals, as the automated manuals and full autos have the same 750,000 mile warranties as the manual transmission products being put into heavy commercial trucks.

News stories about car thieves that try to steal a vehicle without an automatic transmission always crack me up. Here is the latest:

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/...on-9563062.html

My wife and I plus one of our two children prefer manual transmission vehicles; the other child can drive manual transmission but prefers automatic transmission. We only buy vehicles with manual transmissions with two exceptions: either it is a vehicle we really want but it is not offered without an automatic transmission, or it is a used vehicle with an automatic transmission and the deal is too good to pass up.

Originally Posted By: pbm
but there are negatives.....no other driver in my household can drive one being the main issue.

Heh... I actually see it as a benefit.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: pbm
but there are negatives.....no other driver in my household can drive one being the main issue.

Heh... I actually see it as a benefit.
smile.gif

this also includes the guys at the tire store and car wash.they cant drive a stick either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back