Why do you prefer W11 over W10

I don't necessarily prefer one over the other. From an administrator standpoint, Win11 hides some administrative functions behind more menus or different key words but overall functionality and browsing is pretty much the same. I do have 11 on my home PC and process of upgrading work PCs over to 11.

The one thing I don't like about Win11 is the start menu looks like I'm flipping through a smart phone's menu.

I don't. The vast majority of the start menu is hidden from view, when I'm scrolling via touch screen I accidentally start the widget screen because I slightly slid from left to right. The speaker volume slider moved from being a clearly visible thick bar in the upper left corner of the screen to being a thin inconspicuous bar at the bottom. All these seem to be purely cosmetic changes that go with the current minimalist design fad. The only performance difference I can detect is that half the time my computer wont wake from sleep without a reboot.
Somewhere between XP and Win 7 was the optimum IMO.

I'm indifferent.

One thing that peeved me at first with W11 was the neutered right click menu. I fixed that immediately.

I've been using it daily for about 2 months.

I also moved the start button over the the left, instead of centered, but that's easy in the settings.

I don't think there's really much else from a user perspective that I've experienced.

being a simple user i liked W-7 best for its simplicity + easy to navigate. i am now using my new dell 16" laptop with W-11 + notice no difference from W10 but as noted i am a simple user!! at least the page up + down works for now!! the SSD is a bit faster BUT not a lot + its prolly my cheapest-slowest DSL i have BUT good enough for me!! i am happy that after NOT being able to sign into Yahoo Mail because i did not write down saved passwords but sync finally worked thankfully allowing access to my favs including BITOG!!! gotta add i always wanted backlit keys + love them for late viewing without overhead lights that can disrupt sleep according to the pros like Huberman a neural scientist.

I sorta forgot about XPP as it was a favorite of mine. W2000 was the absolute worst in my mind...horrible
I actually did business with MS at the XP launch in the day and got these "Go Pro" sets . Pretty neat..still in the original box..

IMG_20230809_150109651.jpg
IMG_20230809_150059314.jpg

I sorta forgot about XPP as it was a favorite of mine. W2000 was the absolute worst in my mind...horrible
I actually did business with MS at the XP launch in the day and got these "Go Pro" sets . Pretty neat..still in the original box..

I'm the opposite, I loved Win2k, hated XP, loved Vista, and everybody hated Win8/8.1. Win8/8.1/Server2012/r2 IMO had the worst GUIs ever with the whole tile thing.

Vista I couldn't stand either...
I guess it's what you know and use eh.
That is 100% my experience. Users will always decide to stay on something they are familiar with over any subsequent software versions, even if the newer versions are better unless they are forced to use the newer one.

I actually liked Vista, but I had 4gb of ram, which at the time was pretty high. The minimum for Vista was 1gb which was not enough ram and caused most of the issues.

But between win10 and win11 I prefer win 10 and will stay with it until the official support ends. By then whatever comes after win11 will most likely be better.

That is 100% my experience. Users will always decide to stay on something they are familiar with over any subsequent software versions, even if the newer versions are better unless they are forced to use the newer one.
Not exactly. A lot of things were architect and then development bloated the resource usage, but was not fixed before release. By the time they have the chance to fix it the new version of OS came and it just became the next version.

I remember W11 was horribly slow with HDD because of some design flaw, and wasn't fixed until a few months after the initial release.

Back