Why Do People Complain About The Glock's Grip ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
There's a human tendency to not like what is perceived or claimed to be the best of something. Sometimes this is taken to a level that's highly illogical. Think Toyota, Patriots, Cowboys, Earnhardt and Gordon for example. Everyone either likes or hates every one.

The claim (rightly so) that Glocks are ***** is a hoot. Yeah and? If a guy's preference is blued steel and wood no problem but the Glock hate that seems to go along with that is way overplayed. Glock is a good example of form follows function, there doesn't seem to be a single element on a Glock that was put there to be pretty.

Ruger fanboys are the best, dissing Glocks and extolling the SRx series pistols. If you took a Glock and an SRx apart and mixed the parts up most people couldn't put the right parts back in the right pistol. Who copied who?

Not a G-fanboi but in the eyes of the haters if you don't hate them you must be a fanboi. Whatever.

I really wanted to like the Remington R51 for the engineering and history and esthetics until I handled one. No thanks.

Originally Posted By: AZjeff
Not a G-fanboi but in the eyes of the haters if you don't hate them you must be a fanboi. Whatever.

That's the part I find the most silly.

Originally Posted By: dlundblad
The only people that complain about them are the ones too cheap to buy one.

There i said it!

And no, I do not own one Glock.

Glocks are not expensive. A lot less than a 1911.

The M&P aims more naturally for me so that's what I bought.

Originally Posted By: Leo99
Glocks are not expensive. A lot less than a 1911.

I don't know about that. There are a slew of 1911's in the $450 to $650 range. Remington, Springfield Mil-Spec, and Rock Island 1911's are all at or under Glock's street prices.

Okay, I'll say it-I don't like the grip angle of Glocks and find them uncomfortable to shoot. I tease people about buying them, but then I do the same about all plastic guns-ultimately if the gun suits you there's nothing wrong with it.

BTW, it's NOT a money issue for me. I have several guns in the same $500-600 price range as Glocks and on more than one occasion have spent enough on one gun to buy two or three Glocks.

Ever hold a Glock 20 or 21 LF? I don't have tiny hands, but holding a pressure treated 8x8 is more comfortable and I'm not talking about angle.

My gripe with Glock is not grip angle - I shoot a large variety of handguns and can adapt to "angle" with no issues. The think I don't like about Glock is the trigger. Crunchy, long, vague, gritty. I do have a Glock 20SF Longslide, very custom. I cleaned up the trigger bar and such. MUCH better. I shoot extremely hot carbine 10mm home loads.

cera1.JPG

I don't complain about them, I just don't care for Glocks. I like 1911's and wheel guns.

Originally Posted By: Pablo
Ever hold a Glock 20 or 21 LF? I don't have tiny hands, but holding a pressure treated 8x8 is more comfortable and I'm not talking about angle.

My gripe with Glock is not grip angle - I shoot a large variety of handguns and can adapt to "angle" with no issues. The think I don't like about Glock is the trigger. Crunchy, long, vague, gritty. I do have a Glock 20SF Longslide, very custom. I cleaned up the trigger bar and such. MUCH better. I shoot extremely hot carbine 10mm home loads.

cera1.JPG

That would be a nice backup piece for hunting hogs.

I mostly agree with the OP. I think what most people are meaning to say when they talk about the grip angle of a Glock is that it is wrong, FOR THEM and their personal preference. Perhaps "wrong" is not the best word to use but I can read between the lines and understand what they are saying.

Something I noticed about glocks- the gen 4 guns have considerably smaller grips and the bump on the bottom of the back strap which pushes the grip angle further forward has been reduced slightly also. In simpler terms, the gen 4 glocks have a slightly smaller grip and a more typical grip angle than previous generations. If someone doesn't like the gen 3 ergonomics, the gen 4 has been improved quite a bit. It might be worth a second look. For the people that absolutely hate the grip angle of the glock, the grip force adapter will make it feel more like a 1911 or at least more like most other handguns by reducing the grip angle majorly.

So far, Glock and CZ are my favorite handgun brands. I enjoy, own and carry them both for different reasons and believe it or not, I find them both ergonomic in their own ways. I do prefer the CZ ergonomics more overall but ergonomics are only one aspect of a good handgun. If I have not committed enough blasphemy at this point, I also like 1911's! I enjoy them but for many reasons, I do not carry them; mostly because I am not OK with a carry gun being that heavy and only holding so few rounds. Again, a personal preference issue, nothing is WRONG with them.

I find that people with the "fan boy" mentality towards anything are usually a fairly emotional crowd, usually lacking in the ability to be pragmatic and/or open minded as well. Keep that in mind when speaking with them.

Originally Posted By: billt460
Originally Posted By: tc1446
I have a lot of handguns also, and have had a couple Glocks but not any more for simple reason they didn't feel right in my hand. And they are *****!

Fine. I can accept ugly along with the gun, "not feeling right". That's as acceptable as the day is long. My beef is many of these people instead blame the gun by saying it's built "wrong". If you have a size 10 foot, don't complain if you buy a size 9 shoe.

Built wrong for them ... just like some shoes are built wrong for certain feet, even if the size is right. Therefore, solution is to find the gun or shoes that fit the best. Still freedom of choice in this country.
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
Built wrong for them ... just like some shoes are built wrong for certain feet, even if the size is right. Therefore, solution is to find the gun or shoes that fit the best.

Nowhere near the same thing. A shoe either fits or it doesn't. If it doesn't you can't wear it. The reason is because it's built around your foot. That's why the exact same shoe comes in several different sizes. A good shooter should be able to shoot any pistol he picks up. And shoot it well. They may prefer a different style, or type of grip, trigger, etc. But they can shoot any of them satisfactorily, because they're good shooters. There is no reason for people not to be able to shoot a Glock well, that you can blame on the gun. And this includes the grip angle. (Which as I said, is about the same as a Luger, which is considered to be one of the most natural pointing pistols in the world). You should be able to shoot them ALL well.

It's the same with guitars and musicians. You could give Paul McCartney, Eddie Van Halen, or Eric Clapton ANY guitar, and they'll play the $h!t out of it until the strings break. They may say they prefer a different type or style of guitar, but they can play any one they pick up well. Because they are quality musicians who know how to play. And the overall skill level they've achieved allows them to do so. This regardless of the size, shape, or quality of the instrument in their hands. Just as a good pistol shooter can shoot ANY handgun he picks up under those same conditions.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
Built wrong for them ... just like some shoes are built wrong for certain feet, even if the size is right. Therefore, solution is to find the gun or shoes that fit the best.

Nowhere near the same thing. A shoe either fits or it doesn't. If it doesn't you can't wear it. The reason is because it's built around your foot. That's why the exact same shoe comes in several different sizes. A good shooter should be able to shoot any pistol he picks up. And shoot it well. They may prefer a different style, or type of grip, trigger, etc. But they can shoot any of them satisfactorily, because they're good shooters.

My point was that even if a shoe IS the right size, it may not fit your foot very well to to the design of the show, and therefore be very uncomfortable to walk in. You might still be able to walk in them, but it's not going to be a comfortable or enjoyable walk - analogous to the way a gun fits and shoots in your hand. If you don't like how it feels, then buy a different brand of shoes ... just like if you don't like the feel of the gun or how it shoots, then buy a different brand/model of gun. One of my main criteria for buying a firearm is how it feels and points in my hand, or how a rifle feels when I have it up and aiming. How a gun physically "fits" is important to a lot of people. Sure, you will get use to it over time, but it helps if the fit is instantly natural feeling.

I never found any issue with the angle the Glock's have. I just cant stand the hard plastic feel to it. But like most pistols you throw on a Hogue overmold grip and the thing rocks.

A good shooter should be able to shoot any pistol he picks up. And shoot it well. They may prefer a different style, or type of grip, trigger, etc. But they can shoot any of them satisfactorily, because they're good shooters. There is no reason for people not to be able to shoot a Glock well, that you can blame on the gun. And this includes the grip angle. (Which as I said, is about the same as a Luger, which is considered to be one of the most natural pointing pistols in the world). You should be able to shoot them ALL well.

Quoted for truth.

I don't care for how the grip fits my hand on my Glock 23 and 19. They feel the worst out of all my handguns. Nothing to do with angle. Maybe it's the finger groove placement. But I do know that shooting them for anything more than a few mags will rub badly on my middle finger at the bottom of the trigger guard. There's this indentation on the trigger guard where it meets the grip. It's nowhere near large enough to fit your finger in. It should just be flat.

Originally Posted By: MinamiKotaro
Quote:
Why Do People Complain About The Glock's Grip ?

Because it isn't made to fit a human hand.

I really don't understand a lot of complaints about different firearms. Barring a mechanical failure from a poor design, or lack of quality of some sort. Complaints about trigger pull, grip, angle, reset, and blah, blah, blah. The way I look at it, if these things bother you so bad that it makes you shoot [removed], then I'm thinking you probably can't shoot well in the first place. I'm really not trying to insult anyone, far from it. I've been shooting firearms almost 50 years now. I pick up a weapon that is new to me, then fire a few rounds to adjust, I'm then good to go. I can see some modifications for competitive shooters. But aside from that, the average shooter should just learn to shoot properly, and everything else will fall in to place.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back