Why do new calipers leave brakes feeling soft?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've replaced front calipers on multiple cars and my experience on all of them is that it tends to leave the brakes feeling "soft".

Here's what I'm usually working with:
1. All calipers were replaced on Honda vehicles.
2. Cars were mine and meticulously maintained with regular brake fluid changes.
3. Bleeding follows factory service manual (Honda specifies their order which is front left, front right, rear right, rear left).
4. During the caliper replacement I always make sure everything is lubed and slides (both pads and guide pins) freely.
5. I bleed using the one man method, I attach tubing to the bleeder with the other end submerged in a clear container of brake fluid and pump about thirty times until the line is totally brake fluid, checking the reservoir periodically. Once I see all fluid I close the bleeder and torque it to specs.

After I replace the calipers and bleed the brake system what I notice is that it becomes soft. Here's what I mean by "soft":
1. The stopping power is the same as before. Nice and firm while driving.
2. When off without vacuum brake assist the pedal is rock solid and holds rock solid with sustained pressure.
3. It stops at the same level of pedal travel that it did before.
4. When I'm stopped though, I can push the pedal more and this part of it is what I call soft (and I hear a whooshing sound near the pedal area).

The first few times I replaced the calipers on different cars, I thought I was imagining it, so I made a mental note to compare the softness of that last part before and after I did a caliper replacement and sure enough the next time I did it there was that softness. I can't tell if I'm going crazy or what.

It's not:
1. Air in the lines or caliper. I'm positive of that based on the amount of brake fluid I've spent. I've tried one man bleeding it, I've tried vacuum hand pump bleeding it, I've tried helper bleeding it, I've tried tapping calipers with rubber mallets.
2. There are no brake fluid leaks.
3. It's not an internal leak at the master cylinder either since the calipers were changed on relatively young cars (maybe around 5 years old with well maintained brake fluid). The Honda test (in their service manual) for an internal MC leak is to hold the brake pedal and watch for it to sink (which it did not on all of the cars). I've driven ratty old beaters that did have MC issues and I know what that's like (sinking pedal at red lights on hot summer days). This is not that.

The first few times it happened it made me think I was doing something wrong so I ended up bleeding all four wheels repeatedly, at least three or four times on one car alone. I must have run three to four of those short brake fluid bottles before I gave up and assumed I didn't know what normal was.

So does anyone have any idea of how to explain this? Have you also noticed this? Does it happen to your brakes when you're driving? What controls the pedal travel after the car has stopped? Could it be due to the new calipers having newly greased slide pins, new hardware and new grease on the hardware and backs of pads? I'm wondering if the sliding action of the guide pins or the pads could be big enough to cause this feeling. If the older pads were stuck in their positions or moved less, would it result in lower travel?

Im going through this now with my E36, I did pads rotors calipers and lines. I use a pressure bleeder, and the next time around IM going to try bleeding the master and down to the abs pump, and then at the calipers.

You still have some air in the system. With newer cars you may have to do a ABS bleed. On some cars you can improve the pedal feel by activating the ABS.

Whooshing (really?) sounds like air to me.

Pedal-pumping technique is, like, so last-century, man. I use a syringe which allows cycling fluid in-and-out to free stubborn bubbles.

Can't comment on ABS since I'm, like, a so-last-century-man.

Last edited:
The brake pedal feel on my 06 Mazda 3 looks to be fitting the description in the OP, although my calipers are original. As a side note, what are you people doing with your brakes that you are changing the calipers so often? At least it seems to be common on this board.

Anyhow, my plan is to change the original brake hoses. Visually they look good, but perhaps the lining has gotten weaker with age and heat cycles.

It's not the new pads / callipers (spacers, etc) finding their correct position against the rotor, is it? Remember that would be all four felt in the pedal at one time. When does it go away?

I have to go with air also, brand new cars have brand new calipers and don't have this issue.
When I change calipers I do the swap quickly as not to loose too much fluid the either temporarily bolt it on with the top bolt only and swing the bottom out so the bleeder is absolutely vertical or when that's not possible hold it vertical.

Make sure the MC is full and open the bleeder till fluid runs freely ((you may need to tap the brake pedal to start it) and tap on the caliper body with a rubber mallet to insure all air is out then close the bleeder and install the caliper in its normal position with pads.

Pump the brake up to take all the play out and bleed normally. Swapping the caliper over quick;y insures you wont empty the MC or ABS so you wont need a scantool to activate the ABS for bleeding. If necessary have an assistant keep the MC full while you swap the caliper, do one at a time.
Worst case scenario you need the scantool for ABS or reverse bleed for non ABS (reverse bleeding works great for hard to bleed clutches also).

I don't necessarily have this issue after installing new/rebuilt calipers however, I do have this "SOFT(ER)" feeling" issue when I install brake pad with a coefficient of friction(CoF) of "GG" compared to OE or aftermarket "FF". I like "FF" way better for brake feel.

Just saying!

CB

Last edited:
I knew an A+P (aircraft mechanic) who would shake up the brake fluid (Hydraulic Mil-PRF-5606 fluid) before pouring it into the bleeding setup. He wanted to make sure it was well mixed! The result was quite predictable. I had to re-do his work.

I just did brakes on the F150. They felt softer at first. Mostly due to the high pedal pressure required. Once bedded in, they feel normal.

Thanks guys,

Just to be sure I'm describing it correctly, I experience this only when I'm stopped. When I'm at a red light and I have my foot on the brake pedal the car isn't moving and neither is the pedal or my foot. Everything feels fine at that point. There's a certain level of pedal travel until the brakes catch and the car stops and that's where I'm at. Once I hit that point though, the "softness" I'm complaining about is I can push my foot and move the pedal an additional inch or two, past the point where the car stops. Not only do I think it shouldn't move that additional distance but the pedal movement past that point itself feels soft.

If it was air in the lines somewhere, wouldn't the pedal be soft even when I apply the brakes while rolling or wouldn't it be soft at all other times? It doesn't seem to match air in the lines. I also wondered whether I was crazy and what I was feeling was normal, because the vacuum brake booster operates off of engine vacuum and that would be most strongest at idle (at a red light like I describe).

I'm probably going to try bleeding yet again (at least one more time).

Originally Posted By: Johnny2Bad
It's not the new pads / callipers (spacers, etc) finding their correct position against the rotor, is it? Remember that would be all four felt in the pedal at one time. When does it go away?
It doesn't go away. I know what you're talking about and that only happens the first time I pump up the brakes until the slack was gone and then it was fine but this is ongoing.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Cujet

I just did brakes on the F150. They felt softer at first. Mostly due to the high pedal pressure required. Once bedded in, they feel normal.

I did clean the rotors with brake cleaner and the face of the pads (rotor and pads were not replaced) before I re-installed everything. I thought this wouldn't make a difference though because I feel this softness when the car is stopped only.

Originally Posted By: Trav
Pump the brake up to take all the play out and bleed normally. Swapping the caliper over quick;y insures you wont empty the MC or ABS so you wont need a scantool to activate the ABS for bleeding. If necessary have an assistant keep the MC full while you swap the caliper, do one at a time.
Worst case scenario you need the scantool for ABS or reverse bleed for non ABS (reverse bleeding works great for hard to bleed clutches also).

When I did these, I never let the reservoir go dry. As long as it doesn't go dry does time really matter? Let's say someone leaves the fitting at the banjo bolt leaking freely, as long as they don't let the MC run dry, the ABS modulator won't be dry either right? Since that's downstream of the MC? As it leaks can air work its way up the line backward to the ABS and then the MC? I don't see how it can since the fluid is working its way down but trying to understand more.

Air is lighter than brake fluid, so any air that gets in will try to get to the high spot in the system. If you replaced more than one caliper without gravity bleeding them before pumping the brakes, air from the caliper could have been pulled into the system.

One man brake bleeding like you described won't necessarily get out any bubbles caught in the line. Since you are pushing and pulling fluid in both directions the bubble can just move back and forth and never be pushed out of the line.

Originally Posted By: NoNameJoe

When I did these, I never let the reservoir go dry. As long as it doesn't go dry does time really matter? Let's say someone leaves the fitting at the banjo bolt leaking freely, as long as they don't let the MC run dry, the ABS modulator won't be dry either right? Since that's downstream of the MC? As it leaks can air work its way up the line backward to the ABS and then the MC? I don't see how it can since the fluid is working its way down but trying to understand more.

If you didn't let the MC go dry you shouldn't have a problem. It varies vehicle to vehicle, I took all 4 calipers of a W body (because I know you can), changed all the lines to SS and put new larger calipers and rotors on, the MC was dry but just a simple gravity bleed did the trick and no air got into the abs unit.

A GM van I did the rear wheel cylinder on got air in everything and was a huge PITA to get the air out so I guess it has a lot to do with how many twist and turns there are in the system and if any of them go higher than the ABS unit before going into it.

Bleed the system manually. With 2 people. Close the bleeder in one motion, don’t bother torquing it. Never use a one man bleeder unless it is a pressure bleeder.

Also, are you using new copper crush washers when installing the calipers? Are the bleeder screws pointing upward?

Originally Posted By: The Critic
Close the bleeder in one motion, don’t bother torquing it.

Don't worry, I won't.

I find this pretty normal when installing new calipers. I think it may have something to do with the pistons retracting a little more than normal when letting off the brakes. All brake pistons retract a little after you release the brakes by design, this is due to the square seal on the piston. After some driving, they will firm up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back