Why are Aveos blowing cyl heads left and right?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had one (2008). It is an interference motor with a timing belt. The belts must be replaced by 60k. Much longer and you're playing with fire. Got good MPG but otherwise ranks as the biggest piece of [censored] to ever have tires mounted.

One of the happiest days of my life is the day I traded that thing.

Cheap design?

It's kind of like the Daewoo 2.2L used in several makes/models around 1998-2003.

The idler pulleys for the T-belt were really weak, would get wobbly, cause the T-belt to jump off and trash the head and pistons. This would happen right around 40-50Kmi.

Joel

Such an awful car.
Jeremy Clarkson said it properly.
Only reason you'd ever buy one, is if you'd never driven anything else ever. I gotta think that's probably true.

The lasp gasp of the OLD GM trying to convince typical dull US buyers that they never want to buy another compact car again.

I really do think that was the angle.

Originally Posted By: antiqueshell
The lasp gasp of the OLD GM trying to convince typical dull US buyers that they never want to buy another compact car again.

thumbsup2.gif

that is odd about the Aveo though. I have several clients with Daewoo-zuki Forenzas with well over 100,000 miles and given the overall condition of the car, they do not appear to be the types that would observe a timing belt maintenance interval. The Daewoo-zuki has a similar engine design. They have different displacement but look virtually identical.

Title doesn't say it all!

What do you mean by "blowing cylinder head." The head is being blown off the engine?
crazy.gif

Left and right? There's only one head, so it's pretty much centered on the engine.
shocked.gif

Blown head gaskets?

My neighbor had one for about 8 months. The paint on the hood kept peeling off. After having the dealer paint it three times, they dumped it. It actually looked like the engine had caught fire.

Originally Posted By: antiqueshell

Despite how bizarre this sounds I have to agree. Truly a terrible expression of an econobox.

Originally Posted By: MarkM66
Title doesn't say it all!

What do you mean by "blowing cylinder head." The head is being blown off the engine?
crazy.gif

Left and right? There's only one head, so it's pretty much centered on the engine.
shocked.gif

Blown head gaskets?

These things are showing up on craigslist for cheap. IDK the back story. And my tire store had one in for a warranty job, someone changed the spark plugs on a warm motor and stripped the threads "unfixably".

Originally Posted By: paulo57509
My neighbor had one for about 8 months. The paint on the hood kept peeling off. After having the dealer paint it three times, they dumped it. It actually looked like the engine had caught fire.

It also sounds like a bad body shop at that dealer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back