Who was Vice President of the United States in 1964?

Status
Not open for further replies.
There was no provision for appointing a new Vice President until the ratification of the 25th Amendment to the Constitution on February 10, 1967. When Johnson assumed office following the assassination of President Kennedy, the Speaker of the House was John McCormack of Massachusetts, and the President pro tempore of the Senate was Carl Hayden of Arizona.

Nobody ... LBJ was VP with JKF, then became Pres after the JFK assassination.

1654202614024.png

Last edited:
Read much?
Yeah, I caught it and thought Pres ... but you quoted me before I made the post #4 change. Keep up the good work of hitting the refresh button every second, lol.

This thread will be locked (or deleted) soon anyway.

Yeah, I caught it and thought Pres ... but you quoted me before I made the post #4 change. Keep up the good work of hitting the refresh button every second, lol.

This thread will be locked (or deleted) soon anyway.
I certainly hope not. This was intended to be a non-political post on American history and education.

I certainly hope not. This was intended to be a non-political post on American history and education.
Depends how it morphs ... but I'll bet it doesn't live very long by the way these things unfold.

Besides, threads get locked because the question was answered many times over.

There was no provision for appointing a new Vice President until the ratification of the 25th Amendment to the Constitution on February 10, 1967. When Johnson assumed office following the assassination of President Kennedy, the Speaker of the House was John McCormack of Massachusetts, and the President pro tempore of the Senate was Carl Hayden of Arizona.

And Hubert Humphrey ran with LBJ in the 1964 election and became VP on Inauguration Day 1965.

And to expand on this era’s politics, after LBJ decided not to run for President in 1968 (he could have as he wouldn’t have served more than 1 1/2 terms), Humphrey became the Democrat nominee and ran against Nixon in 1968. Nixon won, of course, and the rest is history.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back