Who uses microfiber towels?

Waffle weave towels work best for me when drying my vehicles, grew up using chamois but the waffle weave is my go-to. ;)
I agree I have had the best of luck with waffle weave type towels.. They also are great on glass...

Chime in if you use and like microfiber towels.

I'm still puzzled at why they are used. You ever try to use one? Ever try to dry a car off with one? You are there a l l d a y l o n g.

My 35 year experience with drying towels is this.

1.Chamois - THE clear stand out towel for removing water.
2.Cotton towel - Good but a bit lacking compared to a real chamois. Still a solid choice if you lack a chamois. Cotton is highly absorbent compared to #3 below.
3.Microfiber towel - Nothing but a water pusher. Does not absorb anything. Why? The fibers are made of polyester PLASTIC. Once I found out what they were made from, made total sense. I've even tried the high dollar ones and never placed in the clothes dryer ect....... Still a total failure.
To dry with microfiber you need to wet the towel. By itself the surface tension does not attract water. The best way to get the proper water content is to wash the towel and not dry it, just spin dry from the washer.

Finally, another Auto Fiber user.

I use microfiber all the time. The Rag Company's Double Twistress for drying (also have the Gauntlet but haven't tried it yet), Spectrum 420 for interior, Diamond Weave for windows, and a large number of other towels from them because microfiber is just plain cool IMO. The cheap Costco towels get used on my wheels.

For washing, the P&S Rags To Riches is the best detergent around in my opinion. With my most hydrophobic towels I pre-soaked them for a couple of hours in some free & clear liquid laundry detergent with about one ounce per gallon of butyl cellosolve (2-butoxyethanol) added. After washing them in Rags To Riches, they came out fantastic.

I use microfiber all the time. The Rag Company's Double Twistress for drying (also have the Gauntlet but haven't tried it yet), Spectrum 420 for interior, Diamond Weave for windows, and a large number of other towels from them because microfiber is just plain cool IMO. The cheap Costco towels get used on my wheels.

For washing, the P&S Rags To Riches is the best detergent around in my opinion. With my most hydrophobic towels I pre-soaked them for a couple of hours in some free & clear liquid laundry detergent with about one ounce per gallon of butyl cellosolve (2-butoxyethanol) added. After washing them in Rags To Riches, they came out fantastic.
I have the gauntlet. I use the towel after spin dry damp and just drag the towel flat as possible on the paint. It sucks up water much better than a chamois. The Rag Company is now my favorite microfiber. The edgeless 365 is my go to for polishing. Used to wash in cold/cold and found warm/cold is better. Extra rinse and white vinegar in the softener cup. Dry on lowest setting. I have Chemical Guys microfiber detergent but now just use Free and Clear. This works for me….

Last edited:

I learned a few tricks here. I use bead maker as a drying agent and now soak my drying towel before washing seperate.

Last edited:
i dry with meguiars water magnet. works just fine. the only thing i use microfiber towels for is to polish/buff & clean the interior with. microfiber does great on glass too.

Used to be a chamois fan until I recently started drying the vehicle using a proper microfibre. You can literally dry the vehicle in one go without having to constantly wring the towel oitblike with chamois.

Started using The Gauntlet drying towel from The Rag Co. have 4 of them and they really absorb water, 1 will dry your whole car. 20x30 size.

For drying my car, I use a huge Chemical Guys super absorbant microfiber...it's amazing.

For drying my car, I use a huge Chemical Guys super absorbant microfiber...it's amazing.
I got some of those from Amazon a while back. I blew wife's mind by shinning the stainless steel dishwasher door.
She could not get over the look. Like a mirror. Did the same to the cook top (glass) last week. At the time they had some for
sale 1/2 dozen packs and not too expensive. What I like is how long they last even if washed a bunch of times after uses.

Buy the microfibers from Costco. Dirt cheap. In another vein, they're great for polishing and wiping down of a car's surface. But not crazy about them a rag for cleaning parts and tools while you're doing a maintenance job on your car.

Well, they certainly have their place and I use them all the time for various things’. I picked up a bundle of the oversized versions years ago at Sam’s Club years ago, and they’re still going strong.

Back