Who uses DINO or BLEND for long intervals???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wife's car has OLM and it can sometimes get to 12k before time to change. Right now using Pennzoil Platinum and usually change it by 10k...but if I thought a DINO oil or a blend could hang then I might consider it????

Those with OLM and 8+k OCI's convince me you do it repeatedly with no issue

My neighbor asked me to help him with 2 oil changes, a nissan sentra that was 25K in 3.5 years on dino and a old cadillac that had 20K in over 5 years on dino. Guy wondered why the oil was thicker than clay. Somehow, the cars still work, barely, but they do!

Well I use Rotella T5 Blend in my Jeep grand Cherokees but in the wife's more high-tech engine, I am not sure about the diesel oil additives BUT I made this post thinking about switching to a BLEND of some other brand.

I wrestled the syn vs. dino issue for years and finally came to agreement that in my Jeeps, SYN-BLEND gave me the best of both worlds, but on them I do 5-6k and not such a long interval as the wife's car.

any more thoughts?

LS400 with Dino: 6-7k/6mo OCI, with syn: 12-13k/12mo. Dino at more than 8-10k OCI is too risky. E430 with syn only and OCI is 12-14k/12mo. S2000 with Dino: 6mo OCI, with syn: 12mo.

Originally Posted By: Unearthed
I have the same thoughts you do, but continue to do 5k with Dino or 10K with Syn.

I think you have it about right.

FWIW I use Schaeffer 7000 blend in a law enforcement fleet and use 15-20k mi equivalent drains with great success. We also have a Tahoe in the same type of service that I follow the OLM on. I am comfortable following the OLM with this oil as long as the vehicle is non DI.

Originally Posted By: REDDOG
FWIW I use Schaeffer 7000 blend in a law enforcement fleet and use 15-20k mi equivalent drains with great success. We also have a Tahoe in the same type of service that I follow the OLM on. I am comfortable following the OLM with this oil as long as the vehicle is non DI.

Her car is non-DI but is the GM 3.6L (just the Pontiac version and not the DI Caddy motor).

So a SYN-BLEND might be okay for 8-10k as long as the OLM says so? If so, do you think I should go ahead and use the Rotella SM-rated T5 or should I stick with a more passenger car-oriented oil like Castrol BLEND or something?

I used to do MaxLife Syn Blend 5w20 on the Tribute V6 for 7500 miles. Reason it worked is because I needed to do top offs (total of 1 quart to make it through the OCI). It probably also helped that I only used M1 or Motorcraft Oil Filters.

There are a lot of things that factor in to whether or not you can go long on a dino or blend

What is the point of blends with the prices of Syn these days? When AAP has a special you're talking $7 difference for syn instead of blend.

I'd comfortably follow OLM down to 0% even with dino, 10k or not. Seriously i believe those engineers behind these programming.

I have a Honda and Acura both have OLM, the Acura sometimes have a 7-8k oci sometimes as low as 5k if i do lots of local.
I heard some people with the Honda Fit can go as much as 10K on dino.
Don't worry too much, you'll be fine.

Originally Posted By: FastSUV

Her car is non-DI but is the GM 3.6L (just the Pontiac version and not the DI Caddy motor).

So a SYN-BLEND might be okay for 8-10k as long as the OLM says so? If so, do you think I should go ahead and use the Rotella SM-rated T5 or should I stick with a more passenger car-oriented oil like Castrol BLEND or something?

I am a fan of the T5 and think it would be a good choice. All of my apps listed above are confirmed with UOA. As others have mentioned there are a lot of variables at work. I would recommend confirming your oil and oci with UOA. My educated guess is the T5 and OLM would work well together.

REDDOG

Why even risk it for the little bit of $$$ it costs to change the oil. Synthetic = 10k OCI, Dino = 5k OCI. Really your only talking about a extra 10 oil changes in 100K miles of driving. At about $20-$25/change then your only talking $250 total. Sounds like cheap insurance to me.

I routinely did 6K OCIs with dino on my 2000 Ford Taurus before I switched to synthetic last year. No engine problems whatsoever. Car has 173K on the original engine and transmission.

For cars with an OLM, I believe the OLM does not require you use synthetic oil. It just assumes you use an oil that meets the specifications.

So unless your engine requires an oil that has no dino alternatives, you can use dino or blend and follow the OLM safely.

The OLM on my wife's 2009 Honda Accord seems to go down to 15% at around 6500 miles, when I change the oil and filter.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 30valve
Why even risk it for the little bit of $$$ it costs to change the oil. Synthetic = 10k OCI, Dino = 5k OCI. Really your only talking about a extra 10 oil changes in 100K miles of driving. At about $20-$25/change then your only talking $250 total. Sounds like cheap insurance to me.

It also depends on how long you plan on keeping the car. Looking at your signature, it makes complete sense to follow your plan. Someone who leases or can't drive a car longer than 3-5 years...10k on Dino will absolutely do the job.

IMO 10-12k miles on conventional is to long. Here is my reasoning; Mercedes has an OLM that is tuned for synthetic oil. When first introduced the vehicle manuals did not specify that synthetic was necessary and allowed for conventional to be used instead, so these owners who opted for the conventional were changing their oil based on an OLM that was created with synthetic in mind. These owners were often experiencing 10-15k mile intervals on conventional oils, this ended up causing issues with the engines and led to a class action lawsuit against MB which MB lost and paid out millions.

While I do have faith in GM's OLM, I have not personally ever used it but have read up on it a lot, I think that 10-12k on conventional is pushing it and if I were routinely seeing that kind of mileage between a change as dictated by the OLM I would opt for the synthetic for simple peace of mind.

Or you could do an even better thing, after one of these 10k+ runs, send in a sample and get it analyzed, if it comes back good you know you are in good hands, if it comes back stressed, spend the extra $10 on synthetic and not worry about the health of your engine. Just remember to post your UOA on here
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: FastSUV

I am a fan of the T5 and think it would be a good choice. All of my apps listed above are confirmed with UOA. As others have mentioned there are a lot of variables at work. I would recommend confirming your oil and oci with UOA. My educated guess is the T5 and OLM would work well together.

REDDOG

Well REDDOG the next question would be would the T5 additive pkg play well with an '08 passenger car's O2 sensors, and cats??? I use it in my Jeeps but wonder if I would be asking for trouble down the road if I use it in a passenger car with a high-tec VVT motor? They don't make it in 5w30 anyway so I guess that answers my question...I gotta stick to 5w30 with the VVT is my understanding?

Originally Posted By: Unearthed
Originally Posted By: 30valve

It also depends on how long you plan on keeping the car. Looking at your signature, it makes complete sense to follow your plan. Someone who leases or can't drive a car longer than 3-5 years...10k on Dino will absolutely do the job.

Well my sig is out dated, I need to update it a bit, thx for the reminder

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back